Rune Rider Forums banner

Hey Rune family! I just bought a Rune and I need your help!

6K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Eggleton22 
#1 ·
My name is Joshua and I am located in Greenville, South Carolina and I am looking for someone that can drill some holes in my exhaust. I have read the threads and I see everyone is saying 1/8 inches or 1.5 inches. I asked shops around me and they wont touch it or don’t even know what it is. Haha Also if there’s any Bike or Rune trips in the future I am down for that too!

Thanks,

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yea, I'm pretty sure no shop would offer to drill the holes. That's more of a "home" project :twisted: You just need to buy a step bit for cutting holes and go for it. Unfortunately, all the pictures we had on here of folks that had done it always seem to eventually get deleted....folks pass on.....servers die...posts get deleted....etc.

We used to have a "hole drilling party" at the Rune rally every year. But we stopped having Rune rallies a few years back (also sadly!)

#7 ·
1. It was determined back when all the exhaust hole drilling was being done, no added horsepower was gained as per a dyno.
2. The bigger the hole the louder the noise, but if one drilled to big the bike would backfire a lot.
3. Lastly the hole points to the ground and would thus make the back wheel always dirty due to dust being blown up.

#9 ·
HP....not sure ANYONE ever actually scientifically checked that. As did anyone actually dyno BEFORE and AFTER drilling? Not to my knowledge. But I'm not saying it does or doesn't add HP....just that I don't think (and I read EVERY post on this board, because it's my "job") anyone has ever actually checked that out and posted it here. But like the others have already said, I think the chief goal of all who drilled....was for the sound

Actually, what I noticed....is the bigger the hole, the LESS mine backfired...and it ONLY backfired occasionally if I really got on the throttle and then slammed it shut....or occasionally going down steep grades in the mountains. I ride my wife's Rune too, which is NOT modified...and I noticed it too will backfire in those same two scenarios. The only difference is, the backfire, of course...is quieter on her stock Rune....but it is indeed there.....just much more subtle.

Dirt on wheels? NO, I don't see that AT ALL. But I don't ride down many dirt roads. But, what I do see, FOR SURE....is when my wife and I ride (and always have to wash her bike, she won't do that!)....what is obvious is the advantage of LESS soot or discoloration on the wheels and exhaust for my drilled exhaust. Hardly any soot/discoloration on my bike after 100's of miles of riding, while my wife's stock Rune exhaust after many miles of riding has lots of that discoloration we all know "so fondly". So if anything, my drilled exhaust makes THE WHOLE REAR considerably CLEANER.

Bottom line, I still have....and have had for MANY years (since August 2003) two Runes....and for almost all those years, I've had one with modified exhaust and one with stock exhaust, and two of three things above do NOT check out with my Runes. The third one, I have no argument, nor any scientific evidence to agree or disagree with...thought my gut hunch....is I probably DO think there is no HP gain...just cool sound gain :yes: ;)

#11 ·
Wow.....a post from 2005....and I even commented on it (back then). Way too many brain cells destroyed over the years. I couldn't remember that post.....but sure looks like it was about a wash. Not surprising I guess.

#13 ·
I'm not sure that I can agree on "like a Rune should". At every one of the "parade" rides during the Erwin rallies, I always thought the drilled exhausts around me sounded just like my Kubota tractor.

:p:twisted:

#20 ·
it was a board member.....called "Wiz". His name is Tom. He hasn't posted on here in about 4 months....about the age of this post. My comment was on how far the two cities were apart. With the idea, maybe you could contact that member and have him help you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.