GPS Updates

Thread: GPS Updates

Default GPS Updates

Just a little heads up to all you Garmin GPS owners: 2012.40 map updates are available if you haven't gotten the latest maps installed yet. As always, this will take about 1 1/2 hours. Not to worry, JakesBoss is providing fresh coffee while you wait. Give him a call when you're ready to start.

DFW-Texas.............. ...It's a whole other country.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Just a little heads up to all you Garmin GPS owners: 2012.40 map updates are available if you haven't gotten the latest maps installed yet. As always, this will take about 1 1/2 hours. Not to worry, JakesBoss is providing fresh coffee while you wait. Give him a call when you're ready to start.
    Just a note to all '06 - '08 Goldwing owners that have the Honda Navi System... The Garmin update CF cards are now available for $95.00 direct from Garmin...
    'Ra Rune'

*(It's OK to talk to yourself... it's even OK to answer yourself... but, if you ever catch yourself saying, "Huh??? What??? Que???")

Well...actually...i tried downloading a map update out in my place in the sticks...with my "high speed internet"...and...about 24 hours later.........yep, it was done.

FOR THAT REASON...and...the fact that if you want your Mapsource s/w on your PC ALSO upgraded with the same map (and i know....those who use Mapsource want it upgraded to match)...I always get my map upgrade on the DVD. It's the same price if i recall as the download over the internet....just have to wait a few days to get the DVD. but it is of course MUCH quicker...especially for those of us with NO high speed internet (in fact, their web site says NOT to do downloads of maps with a dial up connection!). and, you get the added advantage of being able to upgrade Mapsource on the PC. i love using Mapsource....so much easier to program routes on the GPS.........

speaking of map upgrades, i don't OFTEN get them...as they 1) don't seem to add that much change/updated info and 2)...the "newest" maps always seem to run about 1-2 years behind "current" anyway. kind of pricey too............

that said, i upgraded ALL FOUR of our GPS units over Christmas....the map upgrades were presents to me, the wife, and my daughter......

....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile

DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by

STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE

Quote Originally Posted by RedValk View Post
    Well...actually...i tried downloading a map update out in my place in the sticks...with my "high speed internet"...and...about 24 hours later.........yep, it was done.

FOR THAT REASON...and...the fact that if you want your Mapsource s/w on your PC ALSO upgraded with the same map (and i know....those who use Mapsource want it upgraded to match)...I always get my map upgrade on the DVD. It's the same price if i recall as the download over the internet....just have to wait a few days to get the DVD. but it is of course MUCH quicker...especially for those of us with NO high speed internet (in fact, their web site says NOT to do downloads of maps with a dial up connection!). and, you get the added advantage of being able to upgrade Mapsource on the PC. i love using Mapsource....so much easier to program routes on the GPS.........

speaking of map upgrades, i don't OFTEN get them...as they 1) don't seem to add that much change/updated info and 2)...the "newest" maps always seem to run about 1-2 years behind "current" anyway. kind of pricey too............

that said, i upgraded ALL FOUR of our GPS units over Christmas....the map upgrades were presents to me, the wife, and my daughter......

I feel your pain. When I bought the Wing, GPS was optional.....I opted NOT to get one because of limited use and unreal cost of upgrade. Honda has now made the GPS (Garmin) part of a package of other features you may want so you have no choice...again, cost to up grade maps and limited user inputs.

Two years ago I paid $106 for "Lifetime Updates" that allows me up to 4 updates a year for the life of the unit.

what i hate....is i have four GPS units...three of which...are the SAME (one for each me, the wife, the daughter). But of course, i have to buy SEPERATE maps for each of the exact same unit. i know, i know....it's just kind of frustrating cause it's pricey...and doesn't really do much for you. I tend to wait and only update every couple of years....thinking MAYBE in a couple of years it will be worth the money....and...thinking maybe in a couple of years i MAY even change and get a higher end unit (thus, the upgraded map is of no use!).....

....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile

I'm still waiting for my 2nd replacement Zumo 660 to come! My original had an issue with the Avoidances setting and was constantly trying to get me off the interstate. Not a bad idea, but I was unable to get it to stop! I sent it in and Garmin sent me a refurbished unit! This one worked for about 50 miles and the voice direction stopped working and the unit started hissing and making screaching sounds! Garmin sent me instructions to do a master reset of the unit, which I did, only to have the same issue again! I had to go round and round with Garmin, insisting that they replace this refurbished unit with a brand new unit! I finally won the argument and supposedly have a new unit on the way Seems crazy to go through all that when you've just paid $650 for a GPS. By the way, this is the 8th Garmin I've purchased, and the only one I've ever had a problem with!
    Im tempted to mount the Garmin on the Wing too, since the factory GPS on the wing is so not user friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezgoin721 View Post
    I'm still waiting for my 2nd replacement Zumo 660 to come! My original had an issue with the Avoidances setting and was constantly trying to get me off the interstate. Not a bad idea, but I was unable to get it to stop! I sent it in and Garmin sent me a refurbished unit! This one worked for about 50 miles and the voice direction stopped working and the unit started hissing and making screaching sounds! Garmin sent me instructions to do a master reset of the unit, which I did, only to have the same issue again! I had to go round and round with Garmin, insisting that they replace this refurbished unit with a brand new unit! I finally won the argument and supposedly have a new unit on the way Seems crazy to go through all that when you've just paid $650 for a GPS. By the way, this is the 8th Garmin I've purchased, and the only one I've ever had a problem with!
    Im tempted to mount the Garmin on the Wing too, since the factory GPS on the wing is so not user friendly!
    i've been lucky with Garmin units....SO FAR. i've had 7 units. But, I've heard SEVERAL stories like yours....so i know issues do occur! I'm just not pleased with their map update process/cost/rules. But...what cha' gonna' do. I hear of folks with built in units in their cars having to pay an "arm and a leg" to get their units updated...so i suppose it could be worse......

i've been lucky with Garmin units....SO FAR. i've had 7 units. But, I've heard SEVERAL stories like yours....so i know issues do occur! I'm just not pleased with their map update process/cost/rules. But...what cha' gonna' do. I hear of folks with built in units in their cars having to pay an "arm and a leg" to get their units updated...so i suppose it could be worse......
    Tim, are you able to go to a wireless system through the phone line?...AT&T maybe? I DON't upgrade maps in cages.(cost too much) I just take the Zumo along.

EZ, when you do get your 660 back you may want to look into the Lifetime Update offer....one time cost that saves a whoooooool lot of money!

Tim, are you able to go to a wireless system through the phone line?...AT&T maybe? I DON't upgrade maps in cages.(cost too much) I just take the Zumo along.

EZ, when you do get your 660 back you may want to look into the Lifetime Update offer....one time cost that saves a whoooooool lot of money!
    i do tether my PC off my smartphone....WHEN....i have coverage. We're REALLY in the sticks (Verizon map shows we're in a large dead spot...or right on the edge of it). somedays i have 3G. Some days 1G....some days "no G". You can be surfing....with your phone tethered to the PC....and have web browsing work fine...then slow...then not at all...then work again, etc. it comes and goes. Even at its best, we never have more than "one bar" of reception. Right down the road about 5 miles it's full bars reception. It's just the price of living in the TRUE country! We've tried using our phones as a wireless hotspot....no go. They promise some year...they'll maybe bring DSL....etc....out to our part of the sticks. But for now, it' stuff like Hughes net (pricey)....dial in....or....take your chances tethering in on the old smartphone...which is hit or miss. WHEN IT WORKS, it's pretty good. But...half the time, it's pretty shabby or even non existence connectivity..........

BTW, Verizon is one of the few companies that does NOT charge for you to tether your smartphone.....so far. Others either do or some even prohibit it as i remember/understand. (to tether....for those that don't know...means to hook your smartphone to your pc...and with the appropriate application running on your phone...like pdanet....and the appropriate software loaded on your pc....use your phone's high speed connection to provide internet connectivity).

E
    I know the update for my Lexus was $250!

I have the lifetime updates, but so far it's not much good if the unit itself doesn't work! Hopefully the new one will be trouble free! So far what little I've gotten to use the 660, I'm not too impressed. In my opinion, the screen isn't bright enough for a GPS designed to be used in the bright sunlight, and the menues aren't as intuitive as the other Garmin units I've had.