Seat Latch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Seat Latch

  1. #1
    Jersey Boy Skibum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NW Jersey...... What's it too ya?
    Posts
    7,481

    Cool Seat Latch

    Newbees and old Farts (Chuck)
    Don't forget to tighten up those seat latches.
    I don't want to hear "my seat won't come off"

    <span style=font-family: Verdana><font color=black><a href=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2789205730102112974qNrxRe/t_blank target=_blank><img src=https://www.runeriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic183_1.gif border=0 alt= /></a></font></span>
    ______States I've Ridden_________
    ..
    IBA # 35517
    John Henne
    RUNE #25

    “The journey not the arrival matters.” ~ T. S. Eliot

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Administrator RedValk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    I do it EVERY time I trailer (which is fairly often)....as I have to take the seat off to put on my rear straps. I've found mine on my two runes LOSE.....a couple of times!

    ....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile



    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by


    STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE



    ___________
    Tim/REDVALK

  4. #3
    Member davidcels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    194

    Default

    thanks fo the heads up .
    will do the check
    They say the guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot - the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member CrimsonRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Litchfield NH
    Posts
    374

    Default Well, I learned about this just a little too late.

    I noticed at the end of last season the seat latch was being a bit stubborn I thought in engaging. You had to really push down on the seat to get the latch to close. Well I realized last week that my latch won't let go of the seat now. Key seems to turn just fine but seat won't lift up. I tried looking from underneath through the wheel well but it doesn't look like much for accessing the latch assembly from there either. Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this ?
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

    "We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

  7. #5
    Administrator RedValk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    Mine has messed up on my 20+ year old Valkyeries twice. Fortunately, on those bikes, one can take the sidecovers off and .....with great difficulty....barely get to the mechanism and using a pair of LONG needle nose pliers.....was able to get the seat off. Even on those bikes, it was a real hassle (I have two of them....both messed up....and I have fixed both of them).

    On this bike, the mechanism sits on TOP of the fender as I remember. And I've seen mine over the years start to not work as well...and upon checking it.....the bolt on the mechanism was lose....and I tightened it. Not working with the seat on it.....I'm at a loss as to what to do. The cable pulls the latch back.....and if that latch isn't being pulled back.....and you definitely can't get to it with the seat on.....quite the situation. I'll go out and look CLOSELY at my seat/latch area and report back..................

    ....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile



    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by


    STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE



    ___________
    Tim/REDVALK

  8. #6
    Administrator RedValk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    well.....I just looked at it. I wish I had better news. I've never taken the tank off...and don't know if one can take the tank off WITHOUT taking off the seat? If one could....at least you could get access to free the mount on the FRONT of the seat. you might be able to tilt the seat up some then.....but not sure you could access enough to do anything? Of course, if the tank won't come off without the seat off, all this is a moot point.............

    The cable that releases the latch is protected in a metal tube. If it's the cable that broke....even getting access to that cable (to pull on it...depending on where the break was in a hypothetical situation) would be problematic....since it's in the tubing. Even if you can get the front of the seat undone (with tank off).....and even if you can tilt the seat up some....and even if it's just the cable broke, you likely aren't going to be able to get access to the cable. I'm going to go google this and see if I can find anything else.

    I know...............I'm not really helping much....just stating the obvious so far.................................but I'm trying at least................

    ....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile



    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by


    STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE



    ___________
    Tim/REDVALK

  9. #7
    Member CrimsonRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Litchfield NH
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Thank you for any help. I was looking at the side covers after taking off the Rivco Floorboards. If i remember right and by the looks of it, there is a small black plate at the top that seems to cover the upper part of the sidecover. I think there was a screw holding that black plate on as I recall. I'm really pissed at myself for letting this happen and not catching this sooner.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedValk View Post
    Mine has messed up on my 20+ year old Valkyeries twice. Fortunately, on those bikes, one can take the sidecovers off and .....with great difficulty....barely get to the mechanism and using a pair of LONG needle nose pliers.....was able to get the seat off. Even on those bikes, it was a real hassle (I have two of them....both messed up....and I have fixed both of them).

    On this bike, the mechanism sits on TOP of the fender as I remember. And I've seen mine over the years start to not work as well...and upon checking it.....the bolt on the mechanism was lose....and I tightened it. Not working with the seat on it.....I'm at a loss as to what to do. The cable pulls the latch back.....and if that latch isn't being pulled back.....and you definitely can't get to it with the seat on.....quite the situation. I'll go out and look CLOSELY at my seat/latch area and report back..................
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

    "We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

  10. #8
    Administrator RedValk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    No joy. Of course, EXTREME suggestions might be:

    Remove the rear fender and see if you can get the seat off then....assuming you can remove the rear fender without taking off the seat first?
    Cut the seat.....to get to the mechanism (stock seat....not so bad.....100 dollar or less replacement......custom seat......not a good solution!)

    Surely someone else will chime in with a better answer.............

    I just know the design on this seat latch.....is much harder to work around....than other ones like on my Valks. The placement of it....and the fact the cable is in a metal tube (so you can't get to it to try pulling on it), makes this one harder to work around in my opinion.

    I'd call the local Honda shop....talk to service and see what they suggest doing. Perhaps with rear tire removal....maybe the nuts for the bolts that hold the latch mechanism are exposed.....and maybe you can undo the latch mechanism from underneath side of the fender and have it slip off? I'm just brainstorming here............again, someone who has worked around on the fender can probably chime in with some details on this..............

    ....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile



    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by


    STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE



    ___________
    Tim/REDVALK

  11. #9
    Administrator RedValk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRune View Post
    Thank you for any help. I was looking at the side covers after taking off the Rivco Floorboards. If i remember right and by the looks of it, there is a small black plate at the top that seems to cover the upper part of the sidecover. I think there was a screw holding that black plate on as I recall. I'm really pissed at myself for letting this happen and not catching this sooner.
    yes, those small black plates have one screw.....on top....that hold them on. And you're only going to get to them......with the seat OFF!

    ....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile



    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by


    STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE



    ___________
    Tim/REDVALK

  12. #10
    Administrator RedValk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    unless you can get to these three bolts without pulling the rear tire, this might call for pulling the rear tire? But there are 3 bolts that hold the whole latch mechanism on. Loosen those three nuts holding the latch (which may or may not require rear tire removal)....then pull seat up and BACK....and it should come up SOME. That tubing that holds the cable is bolted to the latch mechanism at the end. Not sure what else holds it in place.

    I just looked again....there isn't enough clearance to get to the three bolts without removing the rear tire. The frame supports the fender mounts to are in the way. You'd have to pull the rear tire....then remove the three nuts that hold the latch mechanism....then pull up and back.....but the seat would still be latched so you can only pull it out as far as the cable (in that tubing) would allow you. But that MIGHT be enough to then work on the latch and free the seat?

    ....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile



    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by


    STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE



    ___________
    Tim/REDVALK

  13. #11
    Administrator RedValk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    here is a picture of the fender.....see the three holes on the top......that's where the latch mechanism attaches.


    REAR-FENDER-Honda-MOTO-1800-RUNE-2004-NRX1800EB4-F_29.jpg

    ....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile



    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by


    STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE



    ___________
    Tim/REDVALK

  14. #12
    Member CrimsonRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Litchfield NH
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Yep, Corbin Dual seat. I tried getting the tire off last night and it is real tight. The rear on it now is a 200/50/17. If I remember right, the side covers had to come off for me to get the tire down. I don't think the cable is busted. It still has smooth and even spring action on the key. I would think the spring on that cable is at the latch assembly. FML why did they have to make this thing so complicated.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedValk View Post
    No joy. Of course, EXTREME suggestions might be:

    Remove the rear fender and see if you can get the seat off then....assuming you can remove the rear fender without taking off the seat first?
    Cut the seat.....to get to the mechanism (stock seat....not so bad.....100 dollar or less replacement......custom seat......not a good solution!).....
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

    "We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

  15. #13
    Jersey Boy Skibum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NW Jersey...... What's it too ya?
    Posts
    7,481

    Cool

    OK time to chime in here.
    I did the 3 bolts/nuts (not sure which) on a fellow Rune rider's bike back in the day.
    I see your running a 200 so........maybe?
    I deflated the tire and then slipped my hand/arm in between the tire and fender at a place that I could get it in there far enough to reach and then rotated the tire moving my hand into place to remove the bolts/nuts. Squeezes your arm quite a bit but it's doable. Maybe find a teenager with small arms to get them in there.
    Good luck but that's what your going to have to do to remove the seat, and you have to remove the seat to do damn near anything on this bike.
    Last edited by Skibum; 04-06-2020 at 11:34 PM.
    <span style=font-family: Verdana><font color=black><a href=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2789205730102112974qNrxRe/t_blank target=_blank><img src=https://www.runeriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic183_1.gif border=0 alt= /></a></font></span>
    ______States I've Ridden_________
    ..
    IBA # 35517
    John Henne
    RUNE #25

    “The journey not the arrival matters.” ~ T. S. Eliot

  16. #14
    Administrator RedValk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    John ....just a question....once he removes the 3 nuts (i think it is nuts on that side)....I know the seat will come off SOME....but how much slack will he have with the cable in the metal tubing? It's not like he can TOTALLY remove the seat at that point, correct? Isn't the cable still attached....and in that metal tubing. Just curious....as to how much slack you have at that point to get to the latch mechanism. Seems like there wouldn't be MUCH slack at that point? Assuming his cable isn't broken (as he has stated).

    I'm just curious.............

    The real lesson learned is as you stated in the original post....don't get to this point! Of course, if ones' cable breaks (and it has done that on BOTH my old Valks....they're over 20 years old).....you're in for this drill I would think........

    ....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile



    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by


    STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE



    ___________
    Tim/REDVALK

  17. #15
    Member CrimsonRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Litchfield NH
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Sounds like a fun weekend project. Yay for social distancing!! I will let you know how it goes. Thank you RedValk and SkiBum !!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Skibum View Post
    OK time to chime in here.
    I did the 3 bolts/nuts (not sure which) on a fellow Rune rider's bike back in the day.
    I see your running a 200 so........maybe?
    I deflated the tire and then slipped my hand/arm in between the tire and fender at a place that I could get it in there far enough to reach and then rotated the tire moving my hand into place to remove the bolts/nuts. Squeezes your arm quite a bit but it's doable. Maybe find a teenager with small arms to get them in there.
    Good luck but that's what your going to have to do to remove the seat, and you have to remove the seat to do damn near anything on this bike.
    Last edited by CrimsonRune; 04-07-2020 at 04:00 PM.
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

    "We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

  18. #16
    Member Skip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern interior of BC
    Posts
    738

    Default

    I'm sure this is just too easy and you probably tried already...

    IIRC when this happened to me, all I did was push the seat down above the latch (hard) while turning the key. If your latch is a bit misaligned, you may have to push sideways as well as down while turning the key (try all the major compass directions).

    Once the seat is off, removable Loctite is your friend...

    skip
    "Careful what you trust on the internet" -Winston Churchill

  19. #17
    Member CrimsonRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Litchfield NH
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Good to see you are still around Skip. I tried to do that on my own but may try pushing on the seat while someone else is turning the key. And yes, I will definitely be using blue Loctite on this afterwards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I'm sure this is just too easy and you probably tried already...

    IIRC when this happened to me, all I did was push the seat down above the latch (hard) while turning the key. If your latch is a bit misaligned, you may have to push sideways as well as down while turning the key (try all the major compass directions).

    Once the seat is off, removable Loctite is your friend...

    skip
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

    "We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

  20. #18
    Member MO Rune Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    953

    Default

    I just saw this and was going to say, maybe it's worth your time to get someone else to hold that seat access key for you while you "jiggle the peewaddin' out of the seat'. My seat was getting down right a PITA to get re-latched whenever off for any reason until last June at the Taos Inzane rally. One of the valk guys saw me wrestling with getting mine re-latched and walked over to show me I only had to tighten the darn latch bolts. I was a bit embarrassed, as I had been putting up with that condition for quite some time and couldn't seem to see that those bolts were loose. I think at one time, I had even snugged the three bolts holding the latch to the fender, but somehow missed that the center bolt holding the internals of the latch itself was the loose culprit.

    rune honda seat latch.jpg

  21. #19
    Member CrimsonRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Litchfield NH
    Posts
    374

    Default

    I will give it a try this weekend. I was thinking, if I do have to go up over the wheel and under the fender a series of ratchet extensions and universal joints my save me some ripped up forearms. Eh, chicks dig scars right? lol

    Quote Originally Posted by MO Rune Rider View Post
    I just saw this and was going to say, maybe it's worth your time to get someone else to hold that seat access key for you while you "jiggle the peewaddin' out of the seat'. My seat was getting down right a PITA to get re-latched whenever off for any reason until last June at the Taos Inzane rally. One of the valk guys saw me wrestling with getting mine re-latched and walked over to show me I only had to tighten the darn latch bolts. I was a bit embarrassed, as I had been putting up with that condition for quite some time and couldn't seem to see that those bolts were loose. I think at one time, I had even snugged the three bolts holding the latch to the fender, but somehow missed that the center bolt holding the internals of the latch itself was the loose culprit.

    rune honda seat latch.jpg
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

    "We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

  22. #20
    Member MO Rune Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    953

    Default

    I'm betting with the right giggling and wiggling while someone else is holding the key towards OPEN, you are going to be able to get it to let go on it's own. Good luck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •