Short and long headlamps

Thread: Short and long headlamps

Default Short and long headlamps

I just joined your forum so hello all and thank you for having this resource.

I am looking at buying a 2004/5 Rune, and I don’t have a lot of experience with them. Looking at pictures of various bikes for sale it appears that some listings have a “shorter” headlamp and some have a longer one.

Am I seeing that correctly, and if so, Is that a factory option or is one of them an aftermarket modification?

Also, there doesn’t appear to be any real difference between the 2004 and 2005 models? Is that the case and is there any real preference between the two years?

Thanks!

Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

No difference in headlights....they're all the same. A VERY few have made a mod concerning headlights...like I think Iron Mike once did a mod to put TWO headlights on his Rune. But that's the only "mod" I can think of. Some run a different bulb. But no difference in size of the headlight. They're all the same.

Not much difference between 2004 and 2005 I don't think. Some very, very minor changes....like a chrome Honda emblem on the rear fender vs. a decal for 04.....maybe a difference on the pivot covers if I remember? Not sure if they "fixed" anything ....like the squeak some get in the front shocks? Again, the difference are VERY few.

I'd pull the trigger on either............04 or 05....you'll get quite an amazing machine. But the headlights are all the same..........

....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile

DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by

STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot Tim. Really appreciate the response.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Frequent Poster (>1000 posts) Falcon Wing's Avatar

Didn't all of the 2005 USA Rune's have pullback handlebars and chrome package?
    01 IR Wing
    04 CBC Rune

Thanks for the info on 2004 vs 2005. Could you give a bit more detail on what parts you've found were updated in 2005 that are less of a problem than 2004?

Below is a picture of one of the Runes I'm looking at. The headlamp looked "shorter" to me because of the fairing. Thanks for the guidance on that.

This bike has what I think are Corbin saddlebags. Does anyone know if those go on and off easily? I like the look of the Rune better without the bags and with the stock seat. But I'd put them back on for a trip. So wondering if that's easy and also if they create any scratches or marks on the paint that you would see when they were off?

Rune short headlamp.jpg

Smoking Keyboard Member Dr. Dave's Avatar

There is nothing easy on/easy off about the Corbin bags.
    Dr Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
    There is nothing easy on/easy off about the Corbin bags.
    +1
    If your bike leaves you, let it go.
    If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

Thanks and good to know.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, for sure those bags don’t go on or off easily to say the least.

I’ve got my eye out for a 2005, but not much out there at the moment it seems.

So, another question. Not sure if I should start a new thread or not. In your experience are Honda dealers fairly capable of maintaining the Rune? I would imagine parts are an issue after 15 years?

Frequent Poster (>1000 posts) pete in Mena's Avatar

parts are an issue ... but dealers are more of an issue. The Rune was rare enough that few dealers had any real experience with them. The gang still hanging around here have more experience in dealing with the known issues than all dealers put together.
    The one saving grace is the engine is mostly the same as the Goldwing 1800 so that helps.
    It's too bad that "common sense" isn't

pete in Mena
    '09 GL1800 CBC Goldwing ABS '04 CBC chrome Rune

I am in Wisconsin near Milwaukee. There are three or four Honda motor sports dealers here plus a lot of other shops, so I hope I can find a good mechanic.

The Rune I am looking at has really low mileage so I hope to not have much problems with it at least out of the gate.

Frequent Poster (>1000 posts) pete in Mena's Avatar

there's 2 extremes with Runes ... very low mileage and pretty high.
    Seems those who like to ride hard rack up impressive miles ... while those who bought it because it is so unusual ... well ... shine more than ride. Bikes that are bought for weekend short rides don't get big numbers on the odometer. Kinda like my brother and my re-homed VTX1800 ... spends more time at shine & show events than on the road.

just my biased .02 cents

I see the same thing in motorhomes. I was amazed to find low mileage is more common than not. Comes down to what it's used for ... two week vacations once a year.
    It's too bad that "common sense" isn't

pete in Mena
    '09 GL1800 CBC Goldwing ABS '04 CBC chrome Rune

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoGary View Post
    Thanks for the link. Yeah, for sure those bags don’t go on or off easily to say the least.

I’ve got my eye out for a 2005, but not much out there at the moment it seems.

So, another question. Not sure if I should start a new thread or not. In your experience are Honda dealers fairly capable of maintaining the Rune? I would imagine parts are an issue after 15 years?
    I went to 5 Honda dealers before I found one I would let touch mine. Fortunately, they had a tech that has been with them for 30 years and has worked on 2 of them. The parts department is another bigger issue. Most of the time in my experience, if you go to them with anything but a part number, you are in for a frustrating experience. I called up a couple weeks ago to ask a question about the headlight bulbs, and was told that I had to use OEM H7 bulbs by the parts counter guy. This of course is complete BS. The H7 bulbs I realized have an adapter plug on the back of them which easily swaps over. I knew I was in for trouble with the guy when I had to explain to him 3 times what the bike was. "No, not an NRX400! It's an NRX1800!!" Idiots
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow