In Honda we trust, hit the road we must!

Thread: In Honda we trust, hit the road we must!

Default In Honda we trust, hit the road we must!

So, my six month plus saga of trying to get my Rune running again after its ECU went Phut has finally come to an end. After I messed up ordering the correct keys from Partzilla, the second one I needed arrived two days after the Corona virus lockdown was enforced meaning I couldn't get it cut! Fast forward seven weeks and I finally get it cut but would my new ECU respond? I should never have doubted Honda for a moment; after pairing the two keys following the manual steps, she finally roared, with a few splutters, back to life...i almost cried!
    So yesterday I gave her a wash and buff up and headed off for my first proper ride out since October. All was glorious for an hour or so and then the handling suddenly went weird. WTF is going on....? After a few corners felt really strange I realised I'd picked up only the second puncture of my entire 36 year driving career! Honestly, you couldn't make this up....I nursed the bike back to the site where I'm building a house and my wife collected me. A new rear tyre arrives on Tuesday and hopefully things will be normal from here on!
    Thanks to all who provided much needed advice along the way.
    Cheers and stay safe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Frequent Poster (>1000 posts) Falcon Wing's Avatar

Glad to hear you are back on the road. In my ~18k miles I have gone through 4 or 5 rear tires and NONE have worn out...all have been screw/nail punctures.
    01 IR Wing
    04 CBC Rune

Frequent Poster (>1000 posts) pete in Mena's Avatar

I wore 2 out and blew one out. The Wing, on the other hand, has a nail magnet for a rear wheel. Picked up a 6" spike on a mountain highway and managed to nurse it 30 miles to town ... THAT was fun!

Starting from my first Wing in '83, and up thru two GL1800s, the Rune, the VTX, and the Silverwing ... blowout have beat nails by about 3 to 1. And every blowout was rear, thank goodness.
    It's too bad that "common sense" isn't

pete in Mena
    '09 GL1800 CBC Goldwing ABS '04 CBC chrome Rune

5. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Wing View Post
    Glad to hear you are back on the road. In my ~18k miles I have gone through 4 or 5 rear tires and NONE have worn out...all have been screw/nail punctures.
    just how do all these nails and screws end up on roads????

Quote Originally Posted by pete in Mena View Post
    I wore 2 out and blew one out. The Wing, on the other hand, has a nail magnet for a rear wheel. Picked up a 6" spike on a mountain highway and managed to nurse it 30 miles to town ... THAT was fun!

Starting from my first Wing in '83, and up thru two GL1800s, the Rune, the VTX, and the Silverwing ... blowout have beat nails by about 3 to 1. And every blowout was rear, thank goodness.
    Yep, riding a big, heavy bike on a flat tyre is like trying to ride a wounded hippo...not exactly simple or fun!

Frequent Poster (>1000 posts) Falcon Wing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by totaldoug View Post
    just how do all these nails and screws end up on roads????
    No idea.... Over 500k on my daily drivers in the last 25 years with ONE nail puncture.....Less than 18k on the Rune and 4 or 5 nails!?!?
    01 IR Wing
    04 CBC Rune