how to get a duplicate key?

Thread: how to get a duplicate key?

Default how to get a duplicate key?

does anyone here know if I can I buy a blank Honda Rune key off eBay and have my local Honda dealer program it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

you need to get the correct key blank, not all key blanks on ebay are right, need to have a chip and the right cut for your Rune, and they are not cheap

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...une/side-cover

the two keys that came with the Rune from the factory or out of the crate had a code stamped into the shank, a letter followed by two numbers, it was either A, B, C or D followed by two digits, the letter will give you the correct blank, see link above item #5

The ECM can hold a total of 4 keys registered to it, if adding a key or programming in a new one, it's just as easy to do three and have the total of four

If you need the full key code to the Rune (the letter and two numbers on key shank is only part of it) it's stamped lightly on the end of the fuel cap. The bottom end that's down in the fuel, not easy to see, however is there.

Verify Honda dealer has done the key programming or key registering before or has the needed cable/tool to do it. Not all dealers have the tool to complete the job.

~~~WHEN YOU'RE FINISHED CHANGING---YOU'RE FINISHED~~~
    -Benjamin Franklin-

~13~

~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by RUNE517 View Post
    you need to get the correct key blank, not all key blanks on ebay are right, need to have a chip and the right cut for your Rune, and they are not cheap

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...une/side-cover

the two keys that came with the Rune from the factory or out of the crate had a code stamped into the shank, a letter followed by two numbers, it was either A, B, C or D followed by two digits, the letter will give you the correct blank, see link above item #5

The ECM can hold a total of 4 keys registered to it, if adding a key or programming in a new one, it's just as easy to do three and have the total of four

If you need the full key code to the Rune (the letter and two numbers on key shank is only part of it) it's stamped lightly on the end of the fuel cap. The bottom end that's down in the hank fuel, not easy to see, however is there.

Verify Honda dealer has done the key programming or key registering before or has the needed cable/tool to do it. Not all dealers have the tool to complete the job.
    very helpful, thank you!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

once you add a new key or more for your Rune it's not a bad idea to have the code from the original key engraved into the new one(s) shank...

-Benjamin Franklin-

~13~

~~~~~~

once you add a new key or more for your Rune it's not a bad idea to have the code from the original key engraved into the new one(s) shank...
    will do!

There was a thread on here at one point about programming the keys at home. In know someone on here (I think it was Skip) came to my house when he was passing through town and did all 3 of my spares. He had a couple wires, nothing fancy, and a process for getting it done. I'll see if I can find the thread.
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRune View Post
    There was a thread on here at one point about programming the keys at home. In know someone on here (I think it was Skip) came to my house when he was passing through town and did all 3 of my spares. He had a couple wires, nothing fancy, and a process for getting it done. I'll see if I can find the thread.

I have the required cable/tool as well, like many do, and programmed my own keys as many have. The part/tool/cable is not the costly from Honda. Along with member RaRune made and sold them for a time at a even better price.

-Benjamin Franklin-

~13~

~~~~~~

I have the required cable/tool as well, like many do, and programmed my own keys as many have. The part/tool/cable is not the costly from Honda. Along with member RaRune made and sold them for a time at a even better price.
    well, since I have 2 of these bikes, it may make sense to get one of these, any suggestions on how to do that? contact RaRune?