New Rune member on the road with "new" bike having issues and needs help

Thread: New Rune member on the road with "new" bike having issues and needs help

NOTE: I copied this post to a new thread, to get possible maximum exposure to try and provide any possible help for Rob

Now Rob (DarkElfLusipher) has a another new issue. He's on the road trying to get home to Arizona. After the tire ordeal (got that taken care of), now he has a constant F1 light. He says the bike runs as if the fuel injectors were plugged up or something. It runs ok at hiway speeds, but when he pulls off the hiway, he has to keep giving throttle to keep the bike running...like maintain about 20% throttle? He also said his gas mileage is only in the 20s. No "big black smoke".

So, some of you experts out there.....F1 light staying lit.....bad gas mileage.....bike doesn't want to seem to idle....... thoughts? He says it gives no codes on startup (no blinking F1 light). He says it's kind of hard to start. But if he turns off ignition and tries to start a second time....it usually starts right up. F1 light staying on.....I've read so many different thoughts on this kind of stuff (and I am NOT a mechanic!). Bank sensor? ECM? What?

RaRune, he's coming thru your "area". He's riding I-10 thru Texas today (hopefully). He's near the LA/TX border....and will be riding thru East/Central Texas today....IF....all goes well.

I'm betting one of you smarter guys than me (mechanically speaking, that's quite a few of you.....I humbly admit).....Dan....Ski......etc, etc.....some of you can probably pretty easily diagnose this I bet? I've talked to him a couple of times on the phone. He just wants to get it home so he can get it fixed right. Think he can ride it as is about 1200-1300 miles the rest of the way home? He says at hiways speeds, it seems ok.....so far.

This is the bike he just bought. Wondering if it could have sat a while with Ethanol gas in the tank and could that be part of the issue here? Thoughts?

....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile

DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by

STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Smoking Keyboard Member Dr. Dave's Avatar

Put fuel system cleaner in it right away!!
    Dr Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
    Put fuel system cleaner in it right away!!
    When he talked to me this morning, he said he had done that. I had suggested he drain the tank and start fresh, but he's on the road with limited tools and in between a "rock and a hard place". But pretty sure he did put some fuel system cleaner in as I recall. I read another post on here about replacing the fuel filter....but as I recall, isn't that in the tank.....so again, probably not too easy to be doing on the road with limited tools. He did say about the first 500 miles or so I think the F1 light was NOT on. It was after the tire replacement it immediately began. He was also asking if there was anything that independent shop that replaced his tire....and he said they struggled to do it and figure out how to remove it....in fact, think he said he wound help helping them take stuff off.....anyway, he was asking if there could have been something that shop did (presumably by accident?) while attempting to remove the rear tire. I couldn't think of anything that could be associated with his current F1/performance issues.....but then, I'm (as I keep repeating) NOT the Master mechanic. That's why I have mine serviced at the shop for anything more than oil changes, plug changes, etc. I don't do my own tires. But it would seem unlikely to me the two are connected (tire removal/replacement and now F1 and performance issues).

But, that's why I post this here for him. I told him I'd text him with feedback on advice. I'll be sure and mention the fuel system cleaner idea....just in case. He probably will be checking the board again this evening....assuming he is able to ride until this evening. I guess no calls from him so far today...............are a "good" sign that disaster hasn't happened. Maybe he can ride it all the way home to AZ like that? At home, he not only has tools (and a desire to fix it), but he has a friend who is a top mechanic that could help him. But he's got to get it home..................

....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile

DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by

STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE

5. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Birmingham, AL. No more Afghanistan!! Yeaa!!!!

I’ve been talking to Rob and he said that his rough idle and F1 issue occurred shortly after leaving the shop. Also, one of the shop technicians filled his tank at a Walmart gas station. My uneducated guess is that in addition to the bike sitting with the previous owner for an extended period of time with ethanol fuel, he may have received some bad fuel at Walmart. Who knows!!! Anyway, he bought a fuel additive and I told him to do the old Italian tune-up. Hopefully it’ll get better along the way. For now he’s ok at highway speed.

-Ollie
    Last edited by Afghanpilot; 07-18-2020 at 09:18 PM.
    I'd much rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air than being in the air wishing I was on the ground.

2004' CBC #585
    Lucky 7 Radial Bike- www.jrlcycles.com
    https://www.combatvet.us

IMO, fuel stations at Walmarts have enough sales to keep fresh gas in the tanks. But they happily stretch their mixtures to the 10% ethanol limit to maximize profits. I'd be curious to know what amount of injector cleaner he had added to the tank. If he hasn't gotten those injectors to act right by now, he should probably switch to 100% dino when possible and know that he will most likely have to pull the injectors for a manual scrubbing and forced cleaning procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by MO Rune Rider View Post
    IMO, fuel stations at Walmarts have enough sales to keep fresh gas in the tanks. But they happily stretch their mixtures to the 10% ethanol limit to maximize profits. I'd be curious to know what amount of injector cleaner he had added to the tank. If he hasn't gotten those injectors to act right by now, he should probably switch to 100% dino when possible and know that he will most likely have to pull the injectors for a manual scrubbing and forced cleaning procedure.
    I found a shop near me that cleans injector, they did all 6 for about $200 Canadian. I did it when I first bought my bike along with changing All The fluids. The shop gave me a before and after flow rate. I think they altrasoniclly clean them and reverse flow them, change the baskets in them and new Orings.

Frequent Poster (>1000 posts) pete in Mena's Avatar

have to agree that the least likely place to get bad fuel is Walmart since they're always incredibly busy.
    My suggestion would be to switch to premium gas at stations where that gas has no ethanol. Much easier to find than no-ethanol standard gas. And add Seafoam at every stop.
    The fact that it started after the maintenance and fill makes me believe sediment in the tank was disturbed and is now partially clogging injectors. Not sure any injector cleaner will dissolve that. For sure, he should do a exception job of emptying, purging and cleaning the tank when he gets home. AND ensure fuel lines are also purged.
    just my 1.9 cents worth.
    It's too bad that "common sense" isn't

pete in Mena
    '09 GL1800 CBC Goldwing ABS '04 CBC chrome Rune

Default Guess who is still alive... 🤔

I'll be creating a WONDERFUL post all about this fabulous adventure very soon... But for now I literally just got in the door so I think I'm going to take the rest of the night off from bullsh*t.

😓😓😓🤬

Looks like someone had a 'devil of a time'.

DFW-Texas.............. ...It's a whole other country.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkElfLusipher View Post
    I'll be creating a WONDERFUL post all about this fabulous adventure very soon... But for now I literally just got in the door so I think I'm going to take the rest of the night off from bullsh*t.

😓😓😓🤬
    I bought my Rune on eBay from a guy in Wyoming and I drove a truck/trailer combo 1470 miles(approx) to pick it up because I feared having an experience like Rob did last week. Had I traveled to Wyoming and planned to ride my Rune back to Dallas, I would have had problems because the air cleaner was completely blocked with field mice/rat nesting materials and the rear master cylinder was leaking from the rubber gasket, so brake fluid would have splashed on all painted surfaces to the rear of the master cylinder causing me to pay for a new paint job on all ruined surfaces...

Saying that word (ruined) reminds me of a former friend that said... "Why do you want a Ruin?"... I said it's not a Ruin, it's a Rune... He then said, "No it's a Ruin because Honda took a Valkyrie and Ruined it"... He was a 'dyed in the wool' Valk rider and nothing in the world could change that...
    'Ra Rune'

*(It's OK to talk to yourself... it's even OK to answer yourself... but, if you ever catch yourself saying, "Huh??? What??? Que???")

Smoking Keyboard Member Dr. Dave's Avatar

I had a similar experience. I bought my '05 CBC off of e-bay at a dealer in Rockingham, NC. I initially planned on flying there with my gear and riding home. I AM SO GLAD I DID NOT DO THAT!! The weather turned horrendous, with sheeting rains and hurricane winds that were bringing freeway signs down on I 70 in Kansas. I was so glad I brought a trailer.
    Dr Dave

Frequent Poster (>1000 posts) pete in Mena's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
    I bought my '05 CBC off of e-bay at a dealer in Rockingham, NC. ... I was so glad I brought a trailer.
    Heh, when I highsided off my '02 Wing and trashed it in '08 in MI, I went down to that dealer in Rockingham to replace it. I took it home, through a blizzard, on a trailer I bought at the same dealer.

The Rune, however, I purchased in Round Rock, TX after flying down there and rode the TX Hill Country for 4 days before riding it to MI.
    It's too bad that "common sense" isn't

pete in Mena
    '09 GL1800 CBC Goldwing ABS '04 CBC chrome Rune

Quote Originally Posted by DarkElfLusipher View Post

So I'm on a bike trip right now, the throttle started to not respond the bike would idle but stall if I gave it throttle. Fortunately I carry a spare TPS. I guess I got luck replaced and it runs find now. That saved my trip.
    Ordering a new one when I get to the hotel. So I suggest never leave home with out one. And some tools to change it. I also have a copy of the manual on my phone. Has anyone tried the Dorman TPS just seen like these thing fail alot. This will be the second one I have replaced.
    Last edited by BC Rune; 07-20-2020 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Rune View Post
    So I'm on a bike trip right now, the throttle started to not respond the bike would idle but stall if I gave it throttle. Fortunately I carry a spare TPS. I guess I got luck replaced and it runs find now. That saved my trip.
    Ordering a new one when I get to the hotel. So I suggest never leave home with out one. And some tools to change it. I also have a copy of the manual on my phone. Has anyone tried the Dorman TPS just seen like these thing fail alot. This will be the second one I have replaced.
    I did buy a supposedly compatible aftermarket TPS, but what I received was configured wrong. If you do find the correct one, please let us all know the part # and source.

skip
    "Careful what you trust on the internet" -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I did buy a supposedly compatible aftermarket TPS, but what I received was configured wrong. If you do find the correct one, please let us all know the part # and source.

skip

I will probably order the dorman 977-022 unit and try it
    It's on Amzon.ca for $57. So today on one of the legs of the ride I look down and to see the cap for the clutch side hand grip gone. Fortunately the grip doesn't slide off easily. Sooo many check yours along with the seat latch bolt.

Default Fuel injector cleaner

A mechanic told me about 30 years ago to add one ounce of regular automatic transmission fluid for every gallon of gas in your tank, before you are going to be running at higher speeds. If you look at the ingredients in tranny fluid it is basically the same as what fuel injector cleaner is comprised of. It will clean the injectors, for sure. I had a Goldwing that started running rough and added the tranny fluid. Within 100 miles it was running fine and I never had the problem again.
    I use it as preventive maintenance now. I add about 6 ounces to a full tank when I know I will be running at higher RPMs. That bike has about 120,000 on it now. I leave it in Fla. for 9 months at a time and use it Jan thru March. It runs fine as soon as I fire it up.