well, this is a sign I'm not riding nearly that much these days

Thread: well, this is a sign I'm not riding nearly that much these days

Default well, this is a sign I'm not riding nearly that much these days

I decided to ride all four bikes Sunday (the 2 Valks and 2 Runes). Hadn't ridden in several weeks. Years ago, in the summer, that would be UNHEARD of for me. Anyway, all this sitting around in a hot garage and not riding them....finally took it's toll on the batteries on BOTH Valks. Had to replace both of them....and both of them were just over two years old. When I rode all the time, I always got 5-7 years out of a battery. But not now days, and it's all my fault....not riding enough! Last summer, both Rune batteries crapped out within days of each other. So I've replaced all 4 bikes batteries in the last year now. I suppose I could "cycle" through the four on my battery tender to prolong battery life, but what I really need to do is get off my old butt and ride em' more. That's the REAL solution!

I did wind up riding all four of them Sunday.....and found it quite enjoyable. I only rode about 120 miles, but it was very pleasant...surprisingly, as hot as it has been. But i was riding all back roads out in the country where I live....much of the time in shade. It was actually quite comfortable despite the air temp being in the mid 90s.

I just need to do that more................................

....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile

DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by

STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Birmingham, AL. No more Afghanistan!! Yeaa!!!!

Well, throw Sherry on her Rune and head up to Bham and we’ll enjoy a BBQ at my place. The door’s always open.

-Ollie
    I'd much rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air than being in the air wishing I was on the ground.

2004' CBC #585
    Lucky 7 Radial Bike- www.jrlcycles.com
    https://www.combatvet.us

Smoking Keyboard Member Dr. Dave's Avatar

Unless you are riding every day, these little batteries should be on a tender. The tenders are way cheaper than batteries!!
    Dr Dave

5. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RedValk View Post
    I decided to ride all four bikes Sunday (the 2 Valks and 2 Runes). Hadn't ridden in several weeks. Years ago, in the summer, that would be UNHEARD of for me. Anyway, all this sitting around in a hot garage and not riding them....finally took it's toll on the batteries on BOTH Valks. Had to replace both of them....and both of them were just over two years old. When I rode all the time, I always got 5-7 years out of a battery. But not now days, and it's all my fault....not riding enough! Last summer, both Rune batteries crapped out within days of each other. So I've replaced all 4 bikes batteries in the last year now. I suppose I could "cycle" through the four on my battery tender to prolong battery life, but what I really need to do is get off my old butt and ride em' more. That's the REAL solution!

I did wind up riding all four of them Sunday.....and found it quite enjoyable. I only rode about 120 miles, but it was very pleasant...surprisingly, as hot as it has been. But i was riding all back roads out in the country where I live....much of the time in shade. It was actually quite comfortable despite the air temp being in the mid 90s.

I would recommend you buy batteries of a good brand and make sure to take care of their maintenance.

Frequent Poster (>1000 posts) Falcon Wing's Avatar

What brand did you go with, and where did you get it?? My goldwing battery is going on 8 years I think...
    01 IR Wing
    04 CBC Rune

I'm not too sure I'm going to keep the two Valks much longer (it was their batteries this time), so I just threw a couple of the Walmart ones in. Within a couple of years.....pretty sure those two bikes are going to be gone from my inventory...............so any old battery would do for this short period............

....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile

Like Ollie said, you should throw Sherry on a bike, but head up here to MO instead and not only will we treat you to some grilled steak, we can buzz south a ways and find some of those switch-back curves Sherry likes so much.

ps Shala & I haven't been riding nearly as much lately either.

Quote Originally Posted by MO Rune Rider View Post
    Like Ollie said, you should throw Sherry on a bike, but head up here to MO instead and not only will we treat you to some grilled steak, we can buzz south a ways and find some of those switch-back curves Sherry likes so much.

ps Shala & I haven't been riding nearly as much lately either.
    Sherry hasn't ridden since........................eh.................I don't know? Certainly pretty sure she hasn't ridden since I started working from home due to COVID (16 March is that date). I'm not even sure she has ridden..................THIS YEAR???????? She's always breaking something or having surgery. She broke her foot back in the Spring. She had knee replacement last year....and wasn't "right" for over 6 months. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has ridden "her" Rune this year....and again, may well be the only one who has ridden "her" Valk this year.

That's why I think it' time to "lose" a few bikes? 4 in the garage, for as little as we're riding (and not getting any younger, I seem to keep having birthdays EVERY single year? )..... 4 bikes doesn't make much sense. I could see maybe keeping the Runes, getting rid of the TWO Valks....and instead, get ONE F6B for something new? And I do want to keep at least one bike with bags. I like running to Lowes or the store.....on errands....with the bike. Can't do that (and buy anything of any size) with the Runes. The other day, I went to Lowes after I ordered 8 pavers to throw down on one of the pond dams. The look on the face of the guy who offered to help me "load them in my vehicle" was priceless. I deliberately did NOT tell him I was on the bike. As he pushed the cart with 8 blocks out into the parking lot.....the closer we got to my Valk, the more puzzled his face was. I could tell, he was trying to figure out where exactly my "vehicle" was.....assuming of course, it couldn't be this bike. Granted, the 8 blocks JUST fit in the bags....4 per side, and also granted, I was well over the weight limit suggested by Honda on the bags! I only had 15 miles to ride home, so I wasn't worried for that short trip.

That said, I plan on riding both Valks today and tomorrow....for something to do in the afternoon while I take a "break" from work at home

haha, I do the same thing...

I have 2 Runes and a Ducati XDiavel, I just ride a little bit here and there everyday, taking turns between bikes, I'm the only rider

But it's a way for me to get outside doing something besides sitting home on my ass, lol

On occasion, I will hook up the trailer to my CBC and ride to work on a Friday, which also is my grocery-getting day. I buy cat food sometimes by the 30lb bag, and also on the same trip to WM will get a couple of 40lb bags of salt for the water softener system. And add to that, the various 2ltr bottles of pop, misc. groceries and etc for the garden areas, and it sometimes adds up to a fairly large load in the shopping cart. Anyway, I always enjoy seeing the faces of the people behind me in line and also the face of the cashier as I calmly say (just loud enough for all to hear) "Boy, I sure hope all this fits in my motorcycle.". Sometimes it gets even better if the cashier asks me just how big my saddlebags are and I tell her/him "I don't have any saddlebags on the bike."

Quote Originally Posted by Steinhart View Post
    haha, I do the same thing...

I have 2 Runes and a Ducati XDiavel, I just ride a little bit here and there everyday, taking turns between bikes, I'm the only rider

But it's a way for me to get outside doing something besides sitting home on my ass, lol
    You got your Rune of BAT right?? How did that turn out?
    01 IR Wing
    04 CBC Rune

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Wing View Post
    You got your Rune of BAT right?? How did that turn out?
    hey, I noticed your Rune pictures on Ferrari Chat, I have 458 and post there as well

Your bike is really nice, I like the painted parts you did and your seat, looks awesome!

yeah, I purchased my red one off BAT in May, everything worked out well, no issues, happy to report!

I also have a black one I bought locally

They are great bikes for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Steinhart View Post
    hey, I noticed your Rune pictures on Ferrari Chat, I have 458 and post there as well

Your bike is really nice, I like the painted parts you did and your seat, looks awesome!

yeah, I purchased my red one off BAT in May, everything worked out well, no issues, happy to report!

I also have a black one I bought locally

They are great bikes for sure
    Thanks for the compliments. I got the paint ideas from a former member here Curtis (Hogslayer). His bike here:

I'm glad to hear your BAT Rune turned out well...you don't usually get to hear how those auctions turn out.

I am not really active on Fchat anymore...my 348 got totaled....there's about a 15 page story there about how that all turned out. I had a 360 Spider for about 4 years then, and sold that a few years ago. I've been through several other cars since, but have settled on a Vanderhall Speedster, which is a great combination of fun, uniqueness, and performance.
    458 is one of the better F cars ever for all around everything, HUGE step forward above the 430. Congrats on that for sure.
    01 IR Wing
    04 CBC Rune

wow, sorry to hear your car was totaled, I'll look for that story on Fchat, you ok physically from the accident?

that bike looks amazing, like yours!

I will have to read about your Vanderhall Speedster, not familiar with that car

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Wing View Post
    What brand did you go with, and where did you get it?? My goldwing battery is going on 8 years I think...
    I am not sure if mine will go up to 8 years but from the last 1 year, my battery is working fine.
    I am using DURACELL Ultra for my motorcycle.

oh to be sure, back in the day....when I was riding all the time, it was nothing to get 7-8 years out of a battery. But now.....older.....back issues...neck issues....I still ride occasionally, but not anywhere near as often, not as far. That's why I say, it's likely time to "cull the heard". For me, having to put a battery on a tender shows me I don't need that bike. I COULD ride just about ALL year long.....here in Alabama. And back 10-20 years ago, I did. That's how I used to average about 20-30,000 miles a year. And back in my 20s and 30s, I averaged about 30-40,000 miles a year. In my early years of my military career, I did NOT own a car. Only a bike. I rode EVERY, SINGLE day......back in those 40,000 mile a year days. Then I married Sherry, and she "brought a car" into the marriage (and my life)

Oh, the ravages of age (and time)............. I'll still keep some bikes, just don't probably need 4 anymore. Meanwhile, I may indeed have to do the unheard of thing (down here) of putting a tender on some of my batteries.....in the middle of summer

Hmmmmm, all this talking about riding....makes me think I'll ride to Lowes and pick up some stuff I need. It's cloudy and only in the 80s (so far) today, might make for a pretty darn good ride into "the big city".

Jersey Boy

HEY Tim , I am sure "Sherry brought more than just a CAR into your life "
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RedValk View Post

I have found that having a battery tender on everything not only extends the batteries overall life but keeps everything ready all the time. I have 12 of them plugged in 24/7. The only time they are not plugged in is when I take them out for the day. Just my two cents. Most of my batteries have lasted at least 11 years doing this.