WTB skid plate/lift plate

Thread: WTB skid plate/lift plate

Infrequent Poster (

Default WTB skid plate/lift plate

I am looking for a lifting plate for my rune. I prefer the skid plate that stays on the bike. Does anybody have one for sale? Trying to find one before I start looking into building my own. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Default Skid Plate & PepsX.com Bike Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JHuey1985 View Post
    I am looking for a lifting plate for my rune. I prefer the skid plate that stays on the bike. Does anybody have one for sale? Trying to find one before I start looking into building my own. Thanks
    AC (Anthony) Rune is the original designer and fabricator. I have one of AC's skid plates on my Rune and do not have one for sale. If you can track down AC he may be able to assist you. If you have trouble finding AC, then send me an email and I'll try to assist. And, if you are interest in the PepsX.com bike stand, then please let me know as I have one for sale.

Chris Francis

[email protected]

while quite a few do indeed run the plate that remains on the bike, I always feel "duty bound" to issue a warning: be VERY careful if you put one on there permanently, that you are aware that now you have a pretty low clearance on the bottom of the bike. I say this, because I witnessed first hand one year at the Rune Rally what CAN happen, if you have one of those on your bike. A Rune owner with one of those on the bottom of the engine....went to load his bike into his trailer, like he had done many times before, to return home with his bike from the Rally. But this was only the second time he had loaded it with that plate. The ground in the parking lot wasn't level and had a slight tilt. It was just enough, that now....where as he had loaded with no issues at home (on level ground), now....his bike ...with the plate, hit the trailer. BAM. Oil starting leaking out of the badly cracked block. He was not a happy camper.

Hey, honestly, mine has hit SEVERAL times when I loaded on a trailer up in the mountains on non level ground. As it is, to get it to clear EVEN ON LEVEL GROUND (with NO plate on the bottom, of course............I'd NEVER run one personally)....when loading, I don't sit on the bike, but rather straddle and put NO weight on the seat and "walk" the bike up under power on the trailer. It JUST does clear. Sometimes on hills, I have to put a block of wood under the trailer gate to reduce the angle at the apex of the gate and get enough clearance. Sometimes, it's quite "hairy"....trying to get it on and balance the bike....with it sometimes "just" barely rubbing as I walk it up. Both my Runes have a few "scars" on the bottom from loading on a trailer on uneven ground where they hit.

Now, if you don't trailer, you might be thinking "who cares"? You may never have issues. But the Rune has pretty low clearance as it is. Now, you're reducing that clearance even MORE. As we say in the Military, "situational awareness" is what I'm trying to provide here. If you run one, be aware, you're now VERY close to hitting some obstacles other bikes would have no issue clearing. As long as you're aware, you'll PROBABLY have no issues. But for those who do hit something....and have issues...like the gentleman at the Rune Rally that year, this advice is of little consolation to them...................

And now, if you weren't already............you're fully aware...............

Again, quite a few people have or do run the permanent plate. Just as quite a few people run rear tires on the front (to get longer tire wear), run car tires on the rear, drill holes in their exhaust (I'm guilty on that one), etc, etc. Other than the "hole drilling", I'd never do any of the others. But plenty do. I'm just adding that situational awareness so hopefully we never hear....from YOU...."darn, wish someone would have warned me about this................". In fact, I'm guessing among other reasons, it's likely no Major Manufacturer would produce one of these "permanent" plates due to liabilities like this (and other reasons no doubt, like lack of market in the case of Runes, etc.). Just as many bike shops won't mount rear tires on the front, car tires on the rear, etc.................due to liability.

Ok, duty done......................ignore if this is of no concern....................I'll be in no way offended

....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile

DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by

STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE

5. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Default Skid Plate

Quote Originally Posted by RedValk View Post
    while quite a few do indeed run the plate that remains on the bike, I always feel "duty bound" to issue a warning: be VERY careful if you put one on there permanently, that you are aware that now you have a pretty low clearance on the bottom of the bike. I say this, because I witnessed first hand one year at the Rune Rally what CAN happen, if you have one of those on your bike. A Rune owner with one of those on the bottom of the engine....went to load his bike into his trailer, like he had done many times before, to return home with his bike from the Rally. But this was only the second time he had loaded it with that plate. The ground in the parking lot wasn't level and had a slight tilt. It was just enough, that now....where as he had loaded with no issues at home (on level ground), now....his bike ...with the plate, hit the trailer. BAM. Oil starting leaking out of the badly cracked block. He was not a happy camper.

Hey, honestly, mine has hit SEVERAL times when I loaded on a trailer up in the mountains on non level ground. As it is, to get it to clear EVEN ON LEVEL GROUND (with NO plate on the bottom, of course............I'd NEVER run one personally)....when loading, I don't sit on the bike, but rather straddle and put NO weight on the seat and "walk" the bike up under power on the trailer. It JUST does clear. Sometimes on hills, I have to put a block of wood under the trailer gate to reduce the angle at the apex of the gate and get enough clearance. Sometimes, it's quite "hairy"....trying to get it on and balance the bike....with it sometimes "just" barely rubbing as I walk it up. Both my Runes have a few "scars" on the bottom from loading on a trailer on uneven ground where they hit.

Now, if you don't trailer, you might be thinking "who cares"? You may never have issues. But the Rune has pretty low clearance as it is. Now, you're reducing that clearance even MORE. As we say in the Military, "situational awareness" is what I'm trying to provide here. If you run one, be aware, you're now VERY close to hitting some obstacles other bikes would have no issue clearing. As long as you're aware, you'll PROBABLY have no issues. But for those who do hit something....and have issues...like the gentleman at the Rune Rally that year, this advice is of little consolation to them...................

Again, quite a few people have or do run the permanent plate. Just as quite a few people run rear tires on the front (to get longer tire wear), run car tires on the rear, drill holes in their exhaust (I'm guilty on that one), etc, etc. Other than the "hole drilling", I'd never do any of the others. But plenty do. I'm just adding that situational awareness so hopefully we never hear....from YOU...."darn, wish someone would have warned me about this................". In fact, I'm guessing among other reasons, it's likely no Major Manufacturer would produce one of these "permanent" plates due to liabilities like this (and other reasons no doubt, like lack of market in the case of Runes, etc.). Just as many bike shops won't mount rear tires on the front, car tires on the rear, etc.................due to liability.

Ok, duty done......................ignore if this is of no concern....................I'll be in no way offended
    Tim,

Thank you, as you are far more knowledgeable. Well said!

Best regards.

Chris

Infrequent Poster (

Quote Originally Posted by RedValk View Post

I appreciate the advice. If I get one, I plan to use it randomly. Leave it on if I am planning to lift it again within a few days, take it off if it is going to be on the ground for a while.

I did the car tire thing on my last bike, ignored my friend's warning to replace it at least every 2 years, even if it still looks good. Tire still looked like it had a lot of life left in it, had a blowout going down the highway 90-100mph, went down 50-60mph no gear. Dont think I'll be doing that one again. If I didn't wreck that bike, I probably wouldnt have my Rune now, so guess it worked out.

Thank you

Infrequent Poster (

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    AC (Anthony) Rune is the original designer and fabricator. I have one of AC's skid plates on my Rune and do not have one for sale. If you can track down AC he may be able to assist you. If you have trouble finding AC, then send me an email and I'll try to assist. And, if you are interest in the PepsX.com bike stand, then please let me know as I have one for sale.

Chris Francis

[email protected]
    I tried messaging him on Facebook. Is there another way to get ahold of him?

Thanks