need new gas tank sending unit, still available?

Thread: need new gas tank sending unit, still available?

Default need new gas tank sending unit, still available?

My gas gauge is blinking and not correctly displaying amount of fuel. It starts with empty line, then goes to full lines blinking constantly, regardless of fuel level.

Apparently, the gas tank sending unit needs replacement.

I can't find a source, was told they are no longer made.

Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

DFW-Texas.............. ...It's a whole other country.

Steinhart,

After reading your post, it made me think of the fuel level sending unit in my truck, which exhibits the same behaviour... Because most fuel for vehicles on the road today has ethanol at about 10%, and because ethanol is hygroscopic, it readily absorbs or adsorbs(?) and holds moisture from the environment, (ie: your fuel). I found by experimentation that the problem stems from a higher than normal amount of H2O in the fuel, so I put some of the chemical called 'HEET' into my fuel tank which claims to remove the moisture from your fuel. After doing that, the fuel level sending unit starts behaving correctly again. Periodically I have to repeat the process... BUT, even better than that is to remove ALL of the fuel and start with fresh fuel (get some REAL gas), and also put some HEET in as well... This probably would be lower cost than a new sending unit (if you could get one)... May be worth a try.

RaRune
    'Ra Rune'

*(It's OK to talk to yourself... it's even OK to answer yourself... but, if you ever catch yourself saying, "Huh??? What??? Que???")

Quote Originally Posted by RaRune View Post
    Steinhart,

After reading your post, it made me think of the fuel level sending unit in my truck, which exhibits the same behaviour... Because most fuel for vehicles on the road today has ethanol at about 10%, and because ethanol is hygroscopic, it readily absorbs or adsorbs(?) and holds moisture from the environment, (ie: your fuel). I found by experimentation that the problem stems from a higher than normal amount of H2O in the fuel, so I put some of the chemical called 'HEET' into my fuel tank which claims to remove the moisture from your fuel. After doing that, the fuel level sending unit starts behaving correctly again. Periodically I have to repeat the process... BUT, even better than that is to remove ALL of the fuel and start with fresh fuel (get some REAL gas), and also put some HEET in as well... This probably would be lower cost than a new sending unit (if you could get one)... May be worth a try.

RaRune
    make sense, I'll try those things, thank you!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RUNE517 View Post
    along with the above,

If the tank is full or near full? Remove 2-3 gallons of the fuel (be careful when slipping in a drain hose so not to damage anything inside the tank). Once done with fuel cap closed, sit on the bike and grab the front brake and rock the bike. Fuel floats in the past have gotten hung up. Prior to startup, disconnect battery, let sit for a bit, reconnect. Buy Honda's cheap tool that is used to test fuel so you know the fuel is corn juice free.

Curious? which bike?

Also if you did any work just prior that included disconnecting electrical connections, recheck them.
    Thank you, I'll try that as well!

It's the black rune

well, nothing worked, still have a blinking fuel gauge, still looking for a new sending unit which I am being told are no longer being made....

bike stock?

as for a replacement sending unit,

1. if you haven't tried this already, most parts departments have access to a computer network where they can do a request for a part from all parts departments nation wide (they just have to be willing to), in this case Honda Motorcycle Dealers and see if someone has one on the shelf. Maybe they ordered it for a job and never needed it and keep it just incase, etc. Has worked for me in the past.

2. Contact Mother Honda (IIRC you can still use the old phone number that was given to Rune owners years ago, I believe that number is still here on the board someplace?) and request to open a case up to see if the part will become available again in the future. Parts for the Rune in the past have gone from "Currently Unavailable" to available after sometime. The C/S individual you get when you contact Mother Honda in many cases will just give you a standard answer, if you ask for more clarification of the part situation or more details they will do research or turn it over to someone more in the know and get back to you in a few days with a good answer as the part status.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate your help!

I have tried several online OEM Honda parts suppliers. I will try a Honda dealer directly as well.

?

Has the fuel tank ever been off, moved to the size to add something, to change something like an air filter, etc.

IF you haven't already done so, check the connection for the fuel level gauge/sensor to be sure it's all the way connected.
    yes 100% stock

no, tank has not been off, I need to remove and check to see if anything is loose or disconnected

get any place with this problem?

Steps in S/M verify it's the fuel sensor and not the display?

you owned this bike since day one /zero miles?

not yet, haven't had time to dig into this

I purchased the bike earlier this year with 4100 miles and in excellent original condition. It was sold in an estate sale and had sat for a long time. I've put about 150 miles on it since, runs fine, everything works except the fuel gauge. So I suspect it's the fuel sensor and not the display.