New member, new owner..and couple basic questions

Thread: New member, new owner..and couple basic questions

Lightbulb New member, new owner..and couple basic questions

Hello group, I just picked up a 2004 Rune, I also have a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird and a 2014 Yamaha Stratoliner.. Yep three and one will need to find a new home. At this point, I'm not sure which of the last two the Rune is best to replace, but I'm leaning more towards turning loose of the beloved Triumph..
    I had a couple questions, how can I determine if my Rune has the short reach handle bars, (I'm on the shorter side) and what are the best solutions for storing or carrying a small to modest amount of gear with out losing the Rune magic?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

She puts a bag, or bags on her back seat. I drag a little trailer behind mine. We both have 2-up Corbin seats. We both run car tires (oh the horror!). And mine has an all steel trailer hitch added. Now - if only I could only convince her to ride more often nowadays - 2020 riding has been nearly nonexistent for us together.
    vacation 2011 469.jpg
    vacation 2011 470.jpg
    vacation 2011 486.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rune's Revenge View Post
    Hello group, I just picked up a 2004 Rune, I also have a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird and a 2014 Yamaha Stratoliner.. Yep three and one will need to find a new home. At this point, I'm not sure which of the last two the Rune is best to replace, but I'm leaning more towards turning loose of the beloved Triumph..
    I had a couple questions, how can I determine if my Rune has the short reach handle bars, (I'm on the shorter side) and what are the best solutions for storing or carrying a small to modest amount of gear with out losing the Rune magic?
    Congrats on your Rune and welcome to the forum!

Reference your VIN to this:

Variants
    The vehicle description portion of the VIN (characters 4- are used to identify the “variant”. It essentially identifies the basic model and the build standard used for the various markets and countries for which the bike is intended.
    Breakdown/Remarks
    SC340 = Valkyrie Standard -US 49-State models, pre-2001 (some reported in Singapore)
    SC341 = Valkyrie Standard -US California models, pre-2001
    SC342 = Valkyrie Standard -Canadian models, pre-2001(some reported in Brazil)
    SC346 = Valkyrie Standard -US 49-State, 2001 and on
    SC347 = Valkyrie Standard -US California, 2001 and on
    SC348 = Valkyrie Standard -Canadian models, 2001 and on
    SC34A = Valkyrie Standard -UK, Austrian, Belgian, French, Spanish and Swedish models
    SC34B = Valkyrie Standard -German models
    SC34C = Valkyrie Standard -Swiss models
    SC34U = Valkyrie Standard & Tourers -Australian models (Standards & Tourers differentiated by serial number blocks)
    SC34- = Valkyrie Standard & Tourers -Japanese models (Standards and Tourers differentiated by serial number blocks)
    SC343 = Valkyrie Tourers -US 49-State models
    SC344 = Valkyrie Tourers -US California models
    SC345 = Valkyrie Tourers -Canadian models
    SC410 = Valkyrie Interstate -US 49-State models
    SC411 = Valkyrie Interstate -US California models
    SC412 = Valkyrie Interstate -Canadian models
    SC41U = Valkyrie Interstate -Australian models
    SC530 = Valkyrie Rune -US 49-State, Standard Handlebars, Cast Wheels
    SC531 = Valkyrie Rune -US California, Standard Handlebars, Cast Wheels
    SC533 = Valkyrie Rune -US 49-State, Pulled-back Handlebars, Cast Wheels
    SC534 = Valkyrie Rune -US California, Pulled-back Handlebars, Cast Wheels
    SC535 = Valkyrie Rune -Canadian, Standard Handlebars, Cast Wheels
    SC536 = Valkyrie Rune -US 49-State, Standard Handlebars, Chrome Wheels
    SC53J = Valkyrie Rune -US 49-State, Pulled-back Handlebars, Chrome Wheels
    SC53K = Valkyrie Rune -US California, Pulled-back Handlebars, Chrome Wheels
    SC53U = Valkyrie Rune -Australian models

5. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MO Rune Rider View Post
    She puts a bag, or bags on her back seat. I drag a little trailer behind mine. We both have 2-up Corbin seats. We both run car tires (oh the horror!). And mine has an all steel trailer hitch added. Now - if only I could only convince her to ride more often nowadays - 2020 riding has been nearly nonexistent for us together.
    vacation 2011 469.jpg
    vacation 2011 470.jpg
    vacation 2011 486.jpg
    Thanks for the ideas

Quote Originally Posted by RUNE517 View Post
    The 8th character of the VIN - breaks the bike in spec groups

0 - 49 State - DA bikes - Spec 47 / Forward Bars
    1 - Calif. - DA bikes - Spec 47 / Forward Bars
    3 - 49 State - DB bikes - Spec 47 / Rear Bars
    4 - Calif. - DB bikes - Spec 47 / Rear Bars
    5 - Canadian - DB bikes - --- 04 bikes - Illusion Blue Spec 47 / Rear Bars --- 05 bikes - Black Cherry / Spec47 / Rear Bars?
    6 - 49 State - EA bikes - Chrome / Forward Bars
    J - 49 State - EB bikes - Chrome / Rear Bars
    K - California - EB bikes - Chrome / Rear bars
    U - Australia - DA/B ? bikes - Spec 47/ Forward Bars/Rear Bars

Model: Lower left of VIN sticker (see pic) NOTE: The VIN number is on the VIN sticker! The number stamped into the frame is the frame number, while the two should/will? match, the sticker is what you want for VIN number.

NRX1800(xx) --the (xx) break down below

D - Spec 47 Wheels
    E - Chrome Wheels

A - Forward Bars
    B - Rear Bars

From Mother Honda:

"• Two wheel options will be offered: chrome and Spec47 silver painted wheels."

"• Two handlebar options to choose from: Rear-Set and Forward-Set. Rear-Set handlebar is 50mm closer to the rider and 20mm lower than Forward-Set. Forward-Set handlebar is 50mm farther from the rider and 20mm higher than Rear-Set."

---------------------------------------------

---The Rune DOES NOT have a cast wheel option or a standard handlebar bars option

---The VIN number or information on it can't account for handlebar swaps or wheel swaps or wheels being chromed, many Runes have been altered from the version they came from the factory as...
    Thaks for the welcome
    Ok, I have the 1HF530 variation, but it has chrome wheels, and the next two digits are 74A and seems to mean..not sure

Lower left NRX1800DA, so it seems to mean "forward" bars(?) It looks like if want 50mm more pull back, I might have to replace the hydro lines(?)

It came from the factory as a DA bike meaning it came with spec 47 (painted) wheels and forward set handlebars. Having chrome wheels now, someone swapped the oem wheels for chrome or had the spec 47/painted oem ones chromed. It's possible that the bars have been swapped to B bars or rear set as well? Many have swapped out forward bars for rear bars. Below is a link to instructions/info for swapping bars. Another option is to install a set of Rivco's Handlebar Risers if one can be found. Or if Ra Rune has any of his custom bars left use them.

https://www.runeriders.com/forum/sho...-bars-question

The next digits of 74A are:

7 --is a check digit
    4 --model year (2004)
    A --plant representation (A=OHIO Factory in U.S.A.)
    I'm going to try to post a photo, but I'm betting its the short/A bars on mine.. shoot, I'm just 5'4" with boots on! I had to give up the Goldwing F6B as the seat was too high and too wide for comfort and handling.

Default Seat

another option if you can find one...

An Ultimate seat ---- they made two versions for the Rune, one being a Low Rider seat that placed the rider lower to the ground and closer to the handlebars
    I'll have to look those seats up, All Ultimate seats for other bikes I ever seen, they seem to be taller up and more cushion to them.

The 8th character of the VIN - breaks the bike in spec groups

0 - 49 State - DA bikes - Spec 47 / Forward Bars
    1 - Calif. - DA bikes - Spec 47 / Forward Bars
    3 - 49 State - DB bikes - Spec 47 / Rear Bars
    4 - Calif. - DB bikes - Spec 47 / Rear Bars
    5 - Canadian - DB bikes - --- 04 bikes - Illusion Blue Spec 47 / Rear Bars --- 05 bikes - Black Cherry / Spec47 / Rear Bars?
    6 - 49 State - EA bikes - Chrome / Forward Bars
    J - 49 State - EB bikes - Chrome / Rear Bars
    K - California - EB bikes - Chrome / Rear bars
    U - Australia - DA/B ? bikes - Spec 47/ Forward Bars/Rear Bars

Model: Lower left of VIN sticker (see pic) NOTE: The VIN number is on the VIN sticker! The number stamped into the frame is the frame number, while the two should/will? match, the sticker is what you want for VIN number.

NRX1800(xx) --the (xx) break down below

D - Spec 47 Wheels
    E - Chrome Wheels

A - Forward Bars
    B - Rear Bars

From Mother Honda:

"• Two wheel options will be offered: chrome and Spec47 silver painted wheels."

"• Two handlebar options to choose from: Rear-Set and Forward-Set. Rear-Set handlebar is 50mm closer to the rider and 20mm lower than Forward-Set. Forward-Set handlebar is 50mm farther from the rider and 20mm higher than Rear-Set."

---------------------------------------------

---The Rune DOES NOT have a cast wheel option or a standard handlebar bars option

---The VIN number or information on it can't account for handlebar swaps or wheel swaps or wheels being chromed, many Runes have been altered from the version they came from the factory as...
    Looks like I have a 1040x or something for a manufactured number

Info/pic for handlebars from Mother Honda. Forward-Set bar (I), Rear-Set bar (II).
    I saw some others on youtube with rear or B bars, yep, mine is the A or forward bars. a Good Stretch for a short one like me, I did put pull-back risers on my Stratoliner, and I didnt keep my Goldwing F6B long enough to trick it out.. dang seat and frame just too wide.

Default Custom Two-Up Pan-Up Seat with Removable Passenger Back Rest & Removable Luggage Rack

If you don't mind travelling to Rockville, Maryland have John Longo (JohnLongo.net) build you exactly what you want. He did for me by building a custom two-up pan-up seat with removable passenger back test and removable luggage rack. He has had customers bring their bikes from California, especially during the winter for custom motorcycle seats. If you would like more photos, please send me an email and I'll share them with you.

Chris Francis

[email protected]

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    If you don't mind travelling to Rockville, Maryland have John Longo (JohnLongo.net) build you exactly what you want. He did for me by building a custom two-up pan-up seat with removable passenger back test and removable luggage rack. He has had customers bring their bikes from California, especially during the winter for custom motorcycle seats. If you would like more photos, please send me an email and I'll share them with you.

Chris Francis

[email protected]

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg
    The seat looks good from behind, thanks for posting the photos

Quote Originally Posted by MO Rune Rider View Post
    vacation 2011 469.jpg
    vacation 2011 470.jpg
    vacation 2011 486.jpg
    What city/town are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Rune's Revenge View Post
    What city/town are you located?
    Neosho