Avon Update
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Avon Update

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wales UK
    Posts
    390

    Default Avon Update

    I've spoken to Pete McNally from Avon tires again today for an update.
    Avon are currently working thru their list of new tires productions for new bikes. Pete (who's in charge of tire development) says it's now looking highly likely that we will get a set of Avon tires for the Rune. They will be the 'Storm' sport/tourer tire, see link.
    He's asked me to phone again in around 10 days. I keep the board posted.


    http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/ ... tyre&id=25

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Smoking Keyboard Member asacuta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,882

    Default

    My Canadian rep keeps saying NFW, but you're dealing with someone closer to the source, so I've got my fingers crossed.



    Al

  4. #3
    Smoking Keyboard Member f6rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,483

    Default

    Over on the gl1800riders board they have been talking about a new tire for tourers to replace the Venom R.. Its call a Cobra and its supposed to be released very soon.




    First things First




  5. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wales UK
    Posts
    390

    Default

    The cobra tires have a really cool looking tread pattern, I've seen the pictures. They are a direct replacement of the Venom R's , (which a lot of the Valk riders used) so they'd be a good Rune tire.
    The important factor from Avon's point of view however, with our low model numbers, is that they must have a rear tire of the correct Rune size in their range already.
    That is the only way they will recoup their outlay (producing a new tire size is very expensive apparently). They base it on - for every front tire they sell us, they'll also sell us a rear tire.
    This is our only hope of getting a Rune tire set out of them.
    The closest to our requirement is a sport/tourer tire. They already have a Rune rear size in the Storm tire.
    If they are already due to be making our size rear in the Cobra, then a front is a possibility. We'll only get one model of tire however!
    I will pass on the request if that's what people want.
    Pete McNally is THE guy that will make the final decision whether we get these tlres or not.
    Which also means it's his neck on the line, so it all comes down to whether he thinks there's a profit in it or not.
    From talking to him, I get the strong impression he's going to take a punt and on us and we'll get a set of Avon's from him.
    But which one!?

  7. #5
    Administrator RedValk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    6,849

    Default

    two notes on this that i think are important...and for you "sensitive" types, i'm NOT trying to squash this.....THIS....is EXACTLY the kind of thing i have been waiting for....a MATCHED SET OF TIRES FROM ONE VENDOR...WITH THE APPROPRIATE OEM SIZE FRONT TIRE...and the same or slightly larger tire for the rear (as i won't be putting any rear tires on the front of my bike in reverse, or smaller tires on the front, etc.). I'm just commenting on two critical areas on this:

    1. HOW long of wait are we talking about. One time when i talked to them about making a tire for the bike, they said even if there was enough demand to warrant doing it, that from the time a design is CONSIDERED....until it goes thru the WHOLE process of design and mockup or WHATEVER it is they do...that the WHOLE process could take YEARS before a final product hits the market!!! PLEASE TELL ME WE AREN'T TALKING ABOUT SEVERAL YEARS DOWN THE ROAD!! PLEASE!!!! (i'm hoping since this would just be a new size of an existing line of tire, maybe it can happen very quickly??)

    2. Is this Storm tire (or tyre as they call it over there ) rated for our bikes in weight and speed rating? I couldn't find that data on the site? PLEASE tell me it is!!

    HONEST, i'm excited about this. IF IT HAPPENS, i'll be lining up to be one of the first to put them on! i've had nothing but GREAT success with Avons on my Valk. I've been praying for Avon to come out with an OEM size tire set for the Rune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, let's hope it is so....and SOON!!!!!!

    ....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile



    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by


    STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE



    ___________
    Tim/REDVALK

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wales UK
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Redvalk:
    I've gone over all the Rune specs with this guy Pete McNally. Happily he's really in a senior management position and able to make the final decision as to whether it's a go-er or not, but he's had to wait for feedback from the US importers to see if they're happy to take this tire on.
    If he says yes (he said he should have a decision very soon) then they are in a position to have it ready for market in a matter of weeks/a few months - tops. Like I said he's currently making encouraging statements of intent to go ahead with this.

    After giving him the specs (inc weight/top speed) and what type of riding Rune riders mostly do (my guess) - easily quicker than average cruiser rider, with a bit of touring thrown in - good mileage important. He himself suggested the Storm tire as our best option. So I've gotta believe that they're the correct weighting/speed spec for our bike.

    I got to add that I must have had at least 20 phone conversations with this guy persuading him that there's a market for these tires (maybe up to 5000 runes made with no real decent tires made for it).
    I told the guy he'd have a large slice of a small market rather than a small slice of a large market.
    Soooo I'm praying that these tires get bought or I'm gonna feel a right pillock

  9. #7
    Smoking Keyboard Member JakesBoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyBearDan

    180/55ZR17--73W-- dia.(mm)=629-- rim 5.50 -6.00-- width 186mm ( OEM size )

    190/50ZR17--73W-- dia.(mm)=624-- rim 5.50-6.00-- width 195mm

    200/50ZR17--75W-- dia.(mm)=630-- rim 6.00-6.50-- width 204mm


    73= 805 lbs for load (same as stock)

    75= 853 lbs for load

    W= 168 Max MPH (from Tire site)

    I like the 200/50ZR17---higher load rating, and only 1 mm more in Dia..

    now match a front to it...
    168 Max MPH... is that all great info Dan


    Runerod, Be my pleasure to by you a pint or two whether successful or not
    BTW WTF does pillock mean
    Jakesboss
    ..... ..

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wales UK
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Thanks jakesboss.

    Sorry, translation - Pillock = dork, idiot.... pr1ck.

  11. #9
    Administrator RedValk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    6,849

    Default

    EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    several weeks or a couple of months to market would be FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    i think i'm NOW in touch with MY sensitive side!!!!!!!!!

    ....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile



    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by


    STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE



    ___________
    Tim/REDVALK

  12. #10
    Smoking Keyboard Member JakesBoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedValk
    EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    several weeks or a couple of months to market would be FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    i think i'm NOW in touch with MY sensitive side!!!!!!!!!
    The green is an excellent start to the new you Tim... but what's with the blue Are you a little down come on perk up a bit
    Jakesboss
    ..... ..

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    5

    Default Avon tires for rune

    Quote Originally Posted by JakesBoss View Post
    The green is an excellent start to the new you Tim... but what's with the blue Are you a little down come on perk up a bit
    Good Day Gentlemen
    Please excuse my ignorance on the tire issues that I see many of you are very knowledgeable of.
    I see the Rune Tire issue is as old as the Bikes are.
    I have had my Rune for 4 years now and am very frustrated with the cost and mileage of the Dunlop D251 also.
    I have been reading and trying to get as educated on the situation as much as possible.
    I have contacted Dunlop and told them about my premature failures on both the front and rear tire.
    Have not heard much about the rear tire issue on line, but twice the left side of the tire has quickly worn away to the chords while on the right side of same tire
    the wear indicators show ample tread left. I have heard road camber and harder acceleration into left longer turns blah blah blah
    I even thought there was something wrong with the bike. Until I saw a friends Suzuki M109 both front and rear wear more on the left side. Why well google has many theories and reasons on this.
    However back to replacing the DUNLOP with AVON
    Now the front tire, I am lucky if I get a season out of it.
    I am all for trying a different brand, and this is nothing new to all of you.
    I have concerns with the bike handling differently with a wider front. "Many have said it will be heavy and affect turning"
    I have concerns with running a rear on the front, "Tread pattern and riding in the rain "
    I have concerns on which way to run the rear on the front " Why would I run a tire backwards from the engineered rotation it was designed for."
    Who can collectively put my mind at ease with my concerns.
    I do want to get more mileage and save a few bucks on tires but not at the price of safety and handling.
    I welcome all responses.
    I am new here so be gentle …..Thank-you in advance

    regards Mario in Windsor Canada

  14. #12
    Administrator RedValk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    6,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Good Day Gentlemen
    Please excuse my ignorance on the tire issues that I see many of you are very knowledgeable of.
    I see the Rune Tire issue is as old as the Bikes are.
    I have had my Rune for 4 years now and am very frustrated with the cost and mileage of the Dunlop D251 also.
    I have been reading and trying to get as educated on the situation as much as possible.
    I have contacted Dunlop and told them about my premature failures on both the front and rear tire.
    Have not heard much about the rear tire issue on line, but twice the left side of the tire has quickly worn away to the chords while on the right side of same tire
    the wear indicators show ample tread left. I have heard road camber and harder acceleration into left longer turns blah blah blah
    I even thought there was something wrong with the bike. Until I saw a friends Suzuki M109 both front and rear wear more on the left side. Why well google has many theories and reasons on this.
    However back to replacing the DUNLOP with AVON
    Now the front tire, I am lucky if I get a season out of it.
    I am all for trying a different brand, and this is nothing new to all of you.
    I have concerns with the bike handling differently with a wider front. "Many have said it will be heavy and affect turning"
    I have concerns with running a rear on the front, "Tread pattern and riding in the rain "
    I have concerns on which way to run the rear on the front " Why would I run a tire backwards from the engineered rotation it was designed for."
    Who can collectively put my mind at ease with my concerns.
    I do want to get more mileage and save a few bucks on tires but not at the price of safety and handling.
    I welcome all responses.
    I am new here so be gentle …..Thank-you in advance

    regards Mario in Windsor Canada
    I can't put your mind at ease. That's why I'm still running the Dunlops (OEM tire). There's NO other choice as far as an a)front tire of b) the same OEM size. You can run rear tires on the front. You can run smaller front tires on the front (like a 130 instead of 150). But NO ONE makes a front tire in the OEM size....but Dunlop. Once upon a time there was "talk" that Avon MIGHT make an OEM front tire size. But I guess they realized there wasn't enough market with the limited Rune numbers (pretty sure the ONLY bike that runs that OEM size on the front?). So Avon never made one in OEM size for the front. They do indeed make a REAR tire in OEM size (and some slightly larger, which I definitely WOULD consider going to if I could find a "matching" OEM size front tire of the same brand/type). But alas, no front OEM sized tire.

    Many on here do run rear tires on the front. I'm not going to. It's my Engineering discipline...it just won't let me. But I've never heard of any (yet) issues.....and there are many running them and for quite a long time now. Ok, I have heard some had to shave some rubber off the side of the tires as some models (used a file on sandpaper or something?) were too wide and were rubbing. But I do hear they get excellent mileage. It's just not for me. And some insurance companies claim (if they KNEW you did it....like if you had a wreck and it came up that you were running a rear on the front)....that your insurance MIGHT be void. But honestly, I doubt they're ever really going to know if that was the case? And, some bike shops (mine is one) will NOT put a rear on the front (for their insurance reasons) and for that matter, some bike shops (again, mine is one) won't put a car tire on the rear....for the same insurance concerns.

    I think a car tire on the rear looks COOL AS HECK. But, I've ridden a couple of bikes of friends' that had them. It wasn't for me. I dang near wrecked the few times I rode a bike with a car tire. Turning at low speeds (think parking lot) was just EXTREMELY awkward for me. I kept almost running into the curb! Some say you get used to it. Some say different model car tires behave different ways (as in some turn easier?). Etc, etc. I just know, as much as I'd love to have one for the "cool look", and I hear they get FANTASTIC mileage.....for all the reasons I just talked about, I can't do the car tire on the rear either.............

    So, since 2003, I've been "stuck" with HAVING to use Dunlop on the front (not so much on the rear, but I want the brand/model of tire to match). So....basically....stuck on BOTH front and rear ....with OEM Dunlop. I have for years run slightly more pressure in the front tire (45-47) to get extended mileage. That said, my "extended" on the front, is never quite 10,000 miles. I get more than that on my OEM rear tire! But as I get older....and have some health issues (especially my lower back and neck), my riding high mileage days are LONG gone. So really, for me............the tire wear and mileage thing has become kind of a moot point.....to be honest.

    But many can tell you their story. Maybe one of them can give you that "peace of mind" you seek? Not me........................I'm stuck with OEM for all the reasons given above (which sound like.....many of the concerns you voiced?)

    Oh, and just be advised....some folks get all spun up about subjects like tires, what oil you use, etc, etc.

    ....click on the map to see details on what areas of the globe have visited my profile



    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...words to live by


    STATES I'VE RIDDEN VIA MOTORCYCLE



    ___________
    Tim/REDVALK

  15. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milpitas, CA
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedValk View Post
    I can't put your mind at ease. That's why I'm still running the Dunlops (OEM tire). There's NO other choice as far as an a)front tire of b) the same OEM size. You can run rear tires on the front. You can run smaller front tires on the front (like a 130 instead of 150). But NO ONE makes a front tire in the OEM size....but Dunlop. Once upon a time there was "talk" that Avon MIGHT make an OEM front tire size. But I guess they realized there wasn't enough market with the limited Rune numbers (pretty sure the ONLY bike that runs that OEM size on the front?). So Avon never made one in OEM size for the front. They do indeed make a REAR tire in OEM size (and some slightly larger, which I definitely WOULD consider going to if I could find a "matching" OEM size front tire of the same brand/type). But alas, no front OEM sized tire.

    Many on here do run rear tires on the front. I'm not going to. It's my Engineering discipline...it just won't let me. But I've never heard of any (yet) issues.....and there are many running them and for quite a long time now. Ok, I have heard some had to shave some rubber off the side of the tires as some models (used a file on sandpaper or something?) were too wide and were rubbing. But I do hear they get excellent mileage. It's just not for me. And some insurance companies claim (if they KNEW you did it....like if you had a wreck and it came up that you were running a rear on the front)....that your insurance MIGHT be void. But honestly, I doubt they're ever really going to know if that was the case? And, some bike shops (mine is one) will NOT put a rear on the front (for their insurance reasons) and for that matter, some bike shops (again, mine is one) won't put a car tire on the rear....for the same insurance concerns.

    I think a car tire on the rear looks COOL AS HECK. But, I've ridden a couple of bikes of friends' that had them. It wasn't for me. I dang near wrecked the few times I rode a bike with a car tire. Turning at low speeds (think parking lot) was just EXTREMELY awkward for me. I kept almost running into the curb! Some say you get used to it. Some say different model car tires behave different ways (as in some turn easier?). Etc, etc. I just know, as much as I'd love to have one for the "cool look", and I hear they get FANTASTIC mileage.....for all the reasons I just talked about, I can't do the car tire on the rear either.............

    So, since 2003, I've been "stuck" with HAVING to use Dunlop on the front (not so much on the rear, but I want the brand/model of tire to match). So....basically....stuck on BOTH front and rear ....with OEM Dunlop. I have for years run slightly more pressure in the front tire (45-47) to get extended mileage. That said, my "extended" on the front, is never quite 10,000 miles. I get more than that on my OEM rear tire! But as I get older....and have some health issues (especially my lower back and neck), my riding high mileage days are LONG gone. So really, for me............the tire wear and mileage thing has become kind of a moot point.....to be honest.

    But many can tell you their story. Maybe one of them can give you that "peace of mind" you seek? Not me........................I'm stuck with OEM for all the reasons given above (which sound like.....many of the concerns you voiced?)

    Oh, and just be advised....some folks get all spun up about subjects like tires, what oil you use, etc, etc.

    I am one of those that switched to Storms back in 2008. Got tired of replacing tires every 6-7000 miles and the cost of OEM's. I did install the 180 on the front the fist time and had tire rubbing on center on tire. Solved that problem by using a belt sander to spin the tire and a rasp to remove some of the center tread. Note: rear tire tread depth is 9 mm as compared to a normal front tire that has only 5 mm of tread. I made the trip to Erwin from California with no more problems. Since then have used the 160 for the front. Get an average of 12-13000 miles per set of tires. AND a whole lot cheaper in cost.Bike currently has 110,356 miles. I have been on the Dragon many times, numerous national parks and have not had any issues with the Storm tires.
    1COOLMC

  16. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1COOLMC View Post
    I am one of those that switched to Storms back in 2008. Got tired of replacing tires every 6-7000 miles and the cost of OEM's. I did install the 180 on the front the fist time and had tire rubbing on center on tire. Solved that problem by using a belt sander to spin the tire and a rasp to remove some of the center tread. Note: rear tire tread depth is 9 mm as compared to a normal front tire that has only 5 mm of tread. I made the trip to Erwin from California with no more problems. Since then have used the 160 for the front. Get an average of 12-13000 miles per set of tires. AND a whole lot cheaper in cost.Bike currently has 110,356 miles. I have been on the Dragon many times, numerous national parks and have not had any issues with the Storm tires.
    1COOLMC
    Thanks for the feed back .
    So the 160 fits with no rub issues or heavy handling changes. what direction did you install it in. normal rotation or reverse and why ?

  17. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedValk View Post
    I can't put your mind at ease. That's why I'm still running the Dunlops (OEM tire). There's NO other choice as far as an a)front tire of b) the same OEM size. You can run rear tires on the front. You can run smaller front tires on the front (like a 130 instead of 150). But NO ONE makes a front tire in the OEM size....but Dunlop. Once upon a time there was "talk" that Avon MIGHT make an OEM front tire size. But I guess they realized there wasn't enough market with the limited Rune numbers (pretty sure the ONLY bike that runs that OEM size on the front?). So Avon never made one in OEM size for the front. They do indeed make a REAR tire in OEM size (and some slightly larger, which I definitely WOULD consider going to if I could find a "matching" OEM size front tire of the same brand/type). But alas, no front OEM sized tire.

    Many on here do run rear tires on the front. I'm not going to. It's my Engineering discipline...it just won't let me. But I've never heard of any (yet) issues.....and there are many running them and for quite a long time now. Ok, I have heard some had to shave some rubber off the side of the tires as some models (used a file on sandpaper or something?) were too wide and were rubbing. But I do hear they get excellent mileage. It's just not for me. And some insurance companies claim (if they KNEW you did it....like if you had a wreck and it came up that you were running a rear on the front)....that your insurance MIGHT be void. But honestly, I doubt they're ever really going to know if that was the case? And, some bike shops (mine is one) will NOT put a rear on the front (for their insurance reasons) and for that matter, some bike shops (again, mine is one) won't put a car tire on the rear....for the same insurance concerns.

    I think a car tire on the rear looks COOL AS HECK. But, I've ridden a couple of bikes of friends' that had them. It wasn't for me. I dang near wrecked the few times I rode a bike with a car tire. Turning at low speeds (think parking lot) was just EXTREMELY awkward for me. I kept almost running into the curb! Some say you get used to it. Some say different model car tires behave different ways (as in some turn easier?). Etc, etc. I just know, as much as I'd love to have one for the "cool look", and I hear they get FANTASTIC mileage.....for all the reasons I just talked about, I can't do the car tire on the rear either.............

    So, since 2003, I've been "stuck" with HAVING to use Dunlop on the front (not so much on the rear, but I want the brand/model of tire to match). So....basically....stuck on BOTH front and rear ....with OEM Dunlop. I have for years run slightly more pressure in the front tire (45-47) to get extended mileage. That said, my "extended" on the front, is never quite 10,000 miles. I get more than that on my OEM rear tire! But as I get older....and have some health issues (especially my lower back and neck), my riding high mileage days are LONG gone. So really, for me............the tire wear and mileage thing has become kind of a moot point.....to be honest.

    But many can tell you their story. Maybe one of them can give you that "peace of mind" you seek? Not me........................I'm stuck with OEM for all the reasons given above (which sound like.....many of the concerns you voiced?)

    Oh, and just be advised....some folks get all spun up about subjects like tires, what oil you use, etc, etc.
    Seems we are on the same page. Thank you for the great detail in your response. I will continue to collect info and experiences from others so the data will drown me into a solid decision.

  18. #16
    Member CrimsonRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Litchfield NH
    Posts
    387

    Default

    So found out over the weekend that I am going to be getting tires a lot sooner than I thought. Dealer doesn't like how squared off the rear is. Even accused me of riding it low on air. After composing my self from laughing at him for this statement, I started talking with him about tire options. The Service Manager is a friend of mine and doesn't have an issue mounting one size bigger tires (got some grief from the Parts guy though PFFFT!) So I have my choices narrowed down to 3 options, all Avons - AV92 Cobra Chrome, AV76 Spirit ST and AV66 Storm 3D X-M. Anyone have thoughts on these ? The Cobra Chromes seem to be the latest version.
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

    "We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

  19. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milpitas, CA
    Posts
    573

    Default

    I currently have the 3-D tires. And front tire has the in the forward direction. Since installing the rear tire on the front I have always had the arrow pointing forward. Even
    my 30 year m/c mechanic agreed with that installation . I don't race motorcycles so I can't give an opnion on handling. But for normal ridding I notice no difference. I have had 6 sets of AVON tires on my Rune. still going strong.

    1COOLMC

  20. #18
    Member CrimsonRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Litchfield NH
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1COOLMC View Post
    I currently have the 3-D tires. And front tire has the in the forward direction. Since installing the rear tire on the front I have always had the arrow pointing forward. Even
    my 30 year m/c mechanic agreed with that installation . I don't race motorcycles so I can't give an opnion on handling. But for normal ridding I notice no difference. I have had 6 sets of AVON tires on my Rune. still going strong.

    1COOLMC
    Cool. Thank you. I'm leaning towards those as well. The big deciding factor at this point is going to be what the dealer is going to want for them and installation vs. doing them myself and buying online. If having the dealer do them doubles the cost, I'll just do them again myself.
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

    "We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

  21. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milpitas, CA
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRune View Post
    Cool. Thank you. I'm leaning towards those as well. The big deciding factor at this point is going to be what the dealer is going to want for them and installation vs. doing them myself and buying online. If having the dealer do them doubles the cost, I'll just do them again myself.
    Since switching to Storm tires I have used DYNO-Beads for tire balancing. No more weights coming off or distracting the wheels. Beads can be recovered when replacing the tire. Just don't

    spill them. I get tires from internet dealers and have Honda replace the wheels. I do the removal and installing the tires on the bike. That keeps cost down.

    1COOLMC
    Last edited by 1COOLMC; 07-06-2020 at 01:24 PM.

  22. #20
    Member CrimsonRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Litchfield NH
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1COOLMC View Post
    Since switching to Storm tires I have used DYNO-Beads for tire balancing. No more weights coming off or distracting the wheels. Beads can be recovered when replacing the tire. Just don't

    spill them. I get tires from internet dealers and have Honda replace the wheels. I do the removal and installing the tires on the bike. That keeps cost down.

    1COOLMC
    The Storm Ultras I have on there now I used Ride-On with. Same idea as Dyna-Beads but the added benefit of Fix-A-Flat type of puncture sealing. I haven't ever had a problem with them so far, although I do want to see the rims when the tires come off. Can't really reuse it but the stuff is cheap enough.

    As for the mounting, the local shops always want you to buy the tires from them to mount them. They'll cut me a break if I bring the wheels in but they still want me to buy their tires. There is one place that I need to check on that I think will do it but they want to charge a little more to make up for the tire mark up.
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

    "We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •