Avon Update - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avon Update

Frequent Poster (>1000 posts) pete in Mena's Avatar

I bought the Ride-on after reading reviews but stuck with the beads for now. The last 2 changes were Avons and both times I used a local independent shop with reasonable rates if I brought the wheels in. My preference anyway to limit people touching my Rune.
    I managed to get the reversed rear mounted up front by signing a waiver.
    It's too bad that "common sense" isn't

pete in Mena
    '09 GL1800 CBC Goldwing ABS '04 CBC chrome Rune

2. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pete in Mena View Post
    I bought the Ride-on after reading reviews but stuck with the beads for now. The last 2 changes were Avons and both times I used a local independent shop with reasonable rates if I brought the wheels in. My preference anyway to limit people touching my Rune.
    I managed to get the reversed rear mounted up front by signing a waiver.
    Nice. And what is the advantage to running the front in reverse ?
    2004 CBC Honda Rune
    2006 "Passion Red" Kawasaki ZX-14
    2010 Can Am Outlander 800 MAX LTD (red of course)
    1994 Black/Purple Suzuki RF900R (sold)

"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRune View Post
    Nice. And what is the advantage to running the front in reverse ?
    damned if I remember ... it was what folks were recommending. This CRS isn't at all helpful

pete in Mena

5. Remove Advertisements
    RuneRiders.com
    Advertisements

This CRS isn't at all helpful
    LMAO I can relate. Thanks for trying though
    2004 CBC Honda Rune

"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done" - Longfellow

damned if I remember ... it was what folks were recommending. This CRS isn't at all helpful
    Did you ever think what would happen when ridding in rain and having the tread forcing water to the center of tire? Mounting the tire in reverse might cause hydroplaning.

1COOLMC

Quote Originally Posted by 1COOLMC View Post
    Did you ever think what would happen when ridding in rain and having the tread forcing water to the center of tire? Mounting the tire in reverse might cause hydroplaning.

1COOLMC
    seem to recall that's the reason for reversing ... to avoid hydroplaning.
    found this: Front tires are set to provide traction under braking load, so the tread points the opposite of a rear tire. This is why the typical 'V' pattern on a front tire appears backward to most people. So if a person was to try using a rear tire on the front, turning it around would simulate a front, at least visually

pete in Mena

... and that said ... many, many of the miles on the current tires were on very wet roads. Even with CRS, don't remember a single butt-clencher ride. You've seen my riding suit ... when on the road, I keep going until I reach my destination ... tropical downpours from hurricanes regardless.

pete in Mena

... and that said ... many, many of the miles on the current tires were on very wet roads. Even with CRS, don't remember a single butt-clencher ride. You've seen my riding suit ... when on the road, I keep going until I reach my destination ... tropical downpours from hurricanes regardless.
    I too have done many trip with 5 days of rain at a time running Avon Storms ( front tire NOT mounted in reverse direction) I have not had a problem. The Avon Spirit is replacing the old Storms and is suppose to be even better in the rain and in all round traction. I run 160 on front and a 200 on the back. I also use Ride-on in both tire no weights for balancing, never had a shake or shimmy. The tire are designed to move the water away in the regular rotation direction. I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Rune View Post
    I too have done many trip with 5 days of rain at a time running Avon Storms ( front tire NOT mounted in reverse direction) I have not had a problem. The Avon Spirit is replacing the old Storms and is suppose to be even better in the rain and in all round traction. I run 160 on front and a 200 on the back. I also use Ride-on in both tire no weights for balancing, never had a shake or shimmy. The tire are designed to move the water away in the regular rotation direction. I would think.
    On the Spirits what size are you using? Any issues with clearance or fitment? Especially the rear. Thanks in advance.
    2005 Rune (CBC) (AKA "The Lambo")

"Whether you believe you can accomplish something or not, you are probably right."
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by BUY LOW View Post
    On the Spirits what size are you using? Any issues with clearance or fitment? Especially the rear. Thanks in advance.
    I'm still on the Avon Storm , from what I read Avon is replacing the Storm with the Spirits. In the Storms I rune front 160 /60z r18 and rear 200 /50z r17
    Last edited by BC Rune; 07-08-2020 at 02:14 AM.

Exact same setup I run on mine. I just ordered a pair of the Spirit ST last night in the same sizes and found a 32oz bottle of Ride-On for 22.00. I was pretty excited about the deal I got on the Spirits though- $276.00 for the pair with free shipping.

I'll let you know how they fit and ride shortly.
    2004 CBC Honda Rune

I'm still on the Avon Storm , from what I read Avon is replacing the Storm with the Spirits. In the Storms I rune front 160 /60z r18 and rear 200 /50z r17
    Any issues installing?
    Any rubbing on rear fender?
    Any bottoming out at top of rear fender?
    Thanks in advance!
    2005 Rune (CBC) (AKA "The Lambo")

"Whether you believe you can accomplish something or not, you are probably right."
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by BUY LOW View Post
    Any issues installing?
    Any rubbing on rear fender?
    Any bottoming out at top of rear fender?
    Thanks in advance!
    I never bottom out but I do have some rubbing on the sides of the front fender. I never really notice it. I does roll over a little slower on the corners , but you get use to it. It feels like the wider the tire the farther you have to lean the bike for the same corner. They seem to hang on pretty good I kinda like going fast. You should check the pegs more often than I did I have ground one f...g own way past the nut. Fortunately I have some spares.

Default Update

So I ended up going with the Avon Spirit ST. 160/60R18 on the front and 200/50R17 on the rear. I used Ride-On for balancing so no stick on weights to deal with. Everything went back together pretty well but like the Storm Ultras I had on their before, I do get some rubbing with the front fender and the rear subframe with a passenger. Strangely, on the front fender it is only the left side. I had forgotten how big of a difference new tires makes. She feels almost as nimble as a sportbike in turns now. Took some pictures of the old and new tires for comparison sake. Loving these Spirits so far though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 CBC Honda Rune

Default Avon spirit tires

I just purchased a set of AVON SPIRITS also , wont need them on till September.

So how did you have the front tire installed ?

Normal shown direction or in reverse?

You mention the bike feels very nimble with them while others mention it feels heavier to take a turn.

I am hoping that is the improvement in the SPIRITS over the STORMS.

Thanks for your feedback

Several years ago, I had the 160 width tire that rubbed only slightly on the front of my Rune - mainly on it's left side, but it also contacted on it's right side ever so slightly when I was "getting it" in the Ozark Mountain curves, or on a trip through the twisties in TN etc... When I finally removed that tire, I was mortified at the internal damage I viewed on it's inside. Mainly along it's left most edge, inside, there was severe heat damage from that rubbing and it looked as if it was on the verge of separating.

Ever since, I've been running the narrower 150/60-18 BT45 Battleax's and really like the way they handle. No more rubbing and a lot more peace of mind knowing I'm not going to overheat the tires and risk ply separation.

Anyone wishing to run the wider 160 width tire and experience slight rubbing may have different results. ……..just sayin'...….

DFW-Texas.............. ...It's a whole other country.

Quote Originally Posted by MO Rune Rider View Post
    Ever since, I've been running the narrower 150/60-18 BT45 Battleax's and really like the way they handle.……..just sayin'...….
    Hey Jim...
    Are you sure the front tire you're running is the 150/60-18 BT45 Battleax...?
    In my searching, I couldn't find such a tire...................................BUT, I did find a 150/60 R18 67H TL BT090 Battleax.
    I searched on almost all the stores that sell tires online, maybe I missed one or two, but I was wondering where you got the 150/60-18 BT45?

I found a 150/70-18 BT45 Battleax that is a bias ply tire, but do you really want to mix bias and radial ply tires?
    'Ra Rune'

*(It's OK to talk to yourself... it's even OK to answer yourself... but, if you ever catch yourself saying, "Huh??? What??? Que???")

Quote Originally Posted by RaRune View Post
    Hey Jim...
    Are you sure the front tire you're running is the 150/60-18 BT45 Battleax...?
    In my searching, I couldn't find such a tire...................................BUT, I did find a 150/60 R18 67H TL BT090 Battleax.
    I searched on almost all the stores that sell tires online, maybe I missed one or two, but I was wondering where you got the 150/60-18 BT45?

I found a 150/70-18 BT45 Battleax that is a bias ply tire, but do you really want to mix bias and radial ply tires?

My bad - it's 140-70-18 Battleax BT45. I didn't pick up my sticky not close enough to read the fine print. The 150/60 was a Shinko that I had written down (larger print) and didn't like.

DFW-Texas.............. ...It's a whole other country.

Quote Originally Posted by MO Rune Rider View Post
    My bad - it's 140-70-18 Battleax BT45. I didn't pick up my sticky not close enough to read the fine print. The 150/60 was a Shinko that I had written down (larger print) and didn't like.
    Jim,
    Why didn't you use the 150/60 R18 67H TL BT090 Battleax..?
    It is the exact size of the stock Dunlop D251 except it's rated H speed instead of V speed.

After I posted I found this:

Considerations

Car manufacturers optimize the suspension and handling characteristics of a car for the type and size of tires originally installed. Although there is a lot of crossover, the H-rated tires will be available in more taller profile sizes and, as the tire profile gets lower, more tires will be available in V-rated or higher speed ratings. Switching from H-rated tires to the higher speed V-rated ones may require the selection of a different size tire. There can also be a significant price difference between similar tires as the speed rating increases.

Benefits

The step from H-rated tires to V-rated is going from quality passenger car tires to performance tires focused on handling. H-rated tires will have rubber compounds and tread designs optimized for all weather performance and long tread life. Performance tires, including many V-rated models, are optimized for dry road traction and handling. A driver who likes to drive aggressively and test the performance levels of his car would be happier with V-rated tires. H-rated tires are suited for a driver looking for long tire life and a comfortable, safe ride.
    For ME... I drive WAAYy Under 130mph 100% of the time, so an H rated tire is preferrable...

Warning

Tire and auto manufacturers recommend against fitting a car with tires of a lower speed rating than the original tires. In many European countries, it is illegal to install lower speed-rated tires.

Last edited by RaRune; 07-29-2020 at 02:16 PM.
    'Ra Rune'

*(It's OK to talk to yourself... it's even OK to answer yourself... but, if you ever catch yourself saying, "Huh??? What??? Que???")

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I just purchased a set of AVON SPIRITS also , wont need them on till September.

So how did you have the front tire installed ?

Normal shown direction or in reverse?

You mention the bike feels very nimble with them while others mention it feels heavier to take a turn.

I am hoping that is the improvement in the SPIRITS over the STORMS.

Thanks for your feedback
    I kept the recommended rotation for both. I figured there would be a difference considering how squared off the Storms were but even my GF on the back, who just started riding herself, could tell the difference in the two. I'm real happy with them so far. Next time around I may try the 140/70R18 though. In the mean time I am going to see what I can do to rasp off that edge a bit. All I need is about 1-2mm.
    2004 CBC Honda Rune