Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
1,345 Posts
Unless you’d like to grab the reins for this year, I think due to a lack of participation, nothing has been planned thus far. Again, if you’d like to make plans this year, by all means please do.
I’d really like to concentrate on the 20th anniversary in 2024. Time and location TBD.

-Ollie

Reactions: mrdiverdave

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yes!!!

There will be a Rune Rally in 2022, and it will be Huge!

We have tentatively titled it “The Great Canadian Tyranny Tour”.

Instead of the traditional Rally where people ride around a few blocks and questionable hills; we will be largely straight-lining it.

It will be starting, and ending in the Vancouver BC area, via someplace in Nova Scotia.

The date will be established by some Rune traitors who are planning to be in Nova Scotia anyway; probably with their Gold Wings on trailers.

We will be exploring cheap restaurants and motels en route.

Many will have been abandoned due to government mandates, so if we can find a grocery store open, we can cook for ourselves, yay!!!

Everyone should bring a sleeping pad and bag, and a star map for entertainment at our roadside overnights…

Oh, and all you Americans should remember to throw your “defensive paraphernalia” into the ditch before approaching the Canadian border, or you may be disposed of by overzealous border guards…

I’m sure a good time will be had by all!

(I should have written this a few days ago, but some of this post is actually true)

Skip

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I thought 2022 was Ollie's turn to put together a Rune rally? ;) ;) ;) I don't think anyone that attended my feeble attempt at a Eureka Springs, AR Rune rally a few years back appreciated the heat & humidity combination we have in Sept here in the Ozarks, or I'd consider contacting a hotel here again.

However, there IS a Valkyrie rally being held at the Edelwiess Inn in Eureka Springs on May 4 thru 7th that I am planning to attend. I went to this "Valk-A-Topia" event there last year as well, but only rode with them on their Saturday ride. There was another CBC Rune rider that also attended last year, but he rode with them earlier in the week, and not on Saturday. I've no idea of how many plan to attend that event this year, but the motel guy said he's got the entire Inn set aside for that group until much closer to the event, and he's already got most of the rooms booked, I believe. There's a Valk-A-Topia facebook group that discusses the event in greater detail, but not only am I not a member of that FB group, I don't do FB at all.

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
after 11 years of putting on Rune Rallies.....11 years of putting on the Cheaha Mountain Rally.....several years helping put on the Panama City Beach Valk Rally....and working on the International InZane Valkyrie Rally for almost a decade, and DJing at many bike events from Louisiana to Michigan to Panama City to Johnson City, TN.....I haven't put on a rally now in.....eh.....I don't know, quite a few years. I miss the camaraderie....I DO NOT miss all the work.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
after 11 years of putting on Rune Rallies.....11 years of putting on the Cheaha Mountain Rally...........................................eh.....I don't know, quite a few years. I miss the camaraderie....I DO NOT miss all the work.

Those were some CLASS A RALLIES TOO!!! BIG round of applause from Missouri to both Tim & Sherry for doing them, and introducing Shala & I to both the Rune & Valkyrie crowds. I, too, miss the camaraderie. Dang good times.
The MO, KS & OK Valkers have all petered off over the years and stopped having any resemblance of get-to-gathers as far I can tell (considering I don't do FB - and that's where most of the remaining peeps hang out). I only got a line on this years' Eureka Springs Valk-a-topia event by calling directly to the GZ from last year and inquiring as to any reservations for this year. :(

·
Administrator
1,345 Posts
Hmmm good question. I’m thinking we’ll still organize it but I’ll be riding a Goldwing. ;)

Colorado Springs huh? We’ll have to look into that. It might be easier to attend for the west coast bunch.

-Ollie

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
I'd have to pass on Colorado Springs. I've been out there twice, once to visit a friend....and once for the Valkyrie Rally they had out West in that area one year. Both times, I got ill from altitude sickness. The first time my blood pressure got so high and I got so sick, I had to go to a hospital and a Doctor told me I HAD to leave the elevation I was at (friend lived near Colorado Springs, but at altitude of somewhere around 7-8k). I wound up leaving my friends house and going to a lower elevation....and within about 24 hours, I was ok. At the Valkyrie Rally, I just felt ill the whole week, but not so ill I had to leave. But I did ZERO riding that year.....just worked all week at the Rally. Flew in....worked....and flew back home. I never felt "right" until I got back home about a day.

Altitudes around and above 6k seem to do my blood pressure badly.

But I'd love to have us have a 20 year Reunion Rally somewhere. It would be good to see as many "old friends" from past rallies as possible. Over the 11 events we've had, I've met literally several hundred Rune rider/owners.......even from as far away as Belgium and New Zealand!

But honestly, that's the thing about organizing and planning events. You can never please everyone, so where ever it's held .....anyone (like me) who can't make one location, that's just the way the "cookie crumbles" or the "chips fall". The event doesn't evolve around one person and their needs or desires............I understand that quite well after running and working at MANY events. In fact, the year they had that Colorado Valkyrie rally, 100s of Valk folks from the Eastern US (which is much more populous per area) didn't go to that Colorado event. So I convinced the Valkyrie Club owners to let me organize and put on an event for the Eastern US later that summer in August. I called it DOTS, for Dragons Over The Smokies. It was at Johnson City TN. I used my connections from running the Rune Rally all those year in nearby Erwin TN to put together a great rally for the Valkyrie folks nearby in Johnson City. In fact, it went over so well, the Valkyrie Club asked me to help them put together InZanes (the big Valkyrie Rally) for two consecutive years following that first DOTS event in Johnson City. But of course, much fewer Western folks were able to attend those events.....due to the distance. So they moved some of their events to places like Arkansas (think Jim/MoRuneRider went to that?), Michigan in Belaire (I went once....flew there....DJed and worked the whole week)....Paducha KY twice....trying to get more closer to the center of the US to get more attendance from both coasts. That worked "so-so". Not really a huge difference in attendance overall...........

I reckon the event will be held where ever the Organizer plans it at. So far, Ollie is the one talking the most about putting it on.............so he's calling the shots on the when and where and what.......... (y)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm up for Colorado Springs!! (Top of Pikes is ~45 miles from my door....)

As far as altitude sickness....it's no joke. Not much else you can do other than get to lower elevations to recover.

Pikes is a fantastic ride now that the road is paved to the top. Garden of the Gods is worth it, and so are the rides through Woodland Park, Victor and Cripple Creek, as well as Deckers to the north of Woodland Park. For those that want to venture further, Cottonwood Pass and Independence Pass are pretty spectacular, or even Trail Ridge Road much more north. The loop of Victor/Cripple Creek I am on very often, and never grow tired of them.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Fuel tank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts