Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 40k-mile Rune back from my suspension shop (only 3k of those miles put on by me, 2nd owner). They disassembled the forks and swingarm/final drive and said that all the bearings looked very dry--as if dry from the factory--but nothing needed replacement. They also installed my air shock.

It feels so much better now with new grease in the bearings! Before, the front felt stiff and would shudder on square-edged bumps, but now the forks track bumps so much more easily. I'd suggest lubing all your fork bearings if you haven't done so yet! They're not lubed for life.

The air shock kicks butt! So nice to change ride height and preload at a whim, and it dramatically improved the max cornering lean angle.

Oh and the rear drive looked fine, altho dry. No rust or unusual wear, so they lubed it up and put it back together. They didn't see the need to drill a drainage hole as some posts suggest, since everything was dry and rust-free (plus it's drought in CA anyhoo).

Now I've got to add some farkles. Have heated grips to install, maybe some Piaa driving lights, an accessory fuse panel (not sure where I'll put it since the air shock relays take up most of the room in the battery compartment), pressure gauge for the air shock, Corbin bags, and a few other goodies that I've been collecting... I can't wait to ride it again! :excited:

Erica

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dry grease

Yeah, I've read several threads on the solid grease bearings on here and looked at the detailed info at the mfgr site too. I generally disfavor things that aren't serviceable and would prefer to take it apart, clean, inspect, lube, and put it back together. My forks feel lots better having some fresh lube in the bearings, and I'll probably add fresh lube every ~20k miles or so going forward.

The first owner had receipts for regularly scheduled maintenance (mostly oil & tires), but as you said, it's much better to go over a used bike from front to back to make sure it's all up to snuff, and that all the moving parts work freely as they should. The Rune already feels lots better and I've only ridden it ~5 miles after the service, so once I get the air shock adjusted properly it'll probably feel awesome!

My suspension shop hadn't done a Rune before, but they're a busy shop and do lots of racebikes and more mundane bikes here in the San Fran bay area, so they know their stuff fairly well. Next time I'll probably do the work myself tho since that was an expensive service... :shock:

Erica

1 - 3 of 3 Posts