Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: Well guys, My birthday was Dec 26th and my wife had to sleep for a while since she just got off work and I decided to take my bike for a ride on Sun. Morning and had my heated suit on and my music playing and just having a blast. I decided to go to Norris Lake and the Dam and took some pictures and started heading towards the Dam and got halfway across and hit nothing but black ice. There was nothing I could do but crash. I was doing about 50 mph and slid quiet aways. Thank God I was well protected and only hurt my knee but the bike went down hard. I dont know yet if it can be fixed or not. The insurance agent is sending it today to Honda in Knoxville. If parts are available they are going to try to fix it. Honda service writer told me he will look at it in great detail and make sure everything is looked at. I cried for along time, it was my baby! Do you know the first thing that happened was the complete headlight assemble came off. Anyway wish me luck and hopefully I will have a bike back in a month or so! :cry:

·
Registered
378 Posts
The bike can be fixed or replaced, its just metal and plastic. You are OK and that is what matters. I hope your knee heals quickly and when you are ready to ride you'll be able and willing to hop on the iron steed and take off for the hills again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Really sorry to hear that bit of news Chaseman. I, like you, like all of us, treasure my Rune, so I can just imagine your pain. Thank God you were OK though!
I've had a few of my previous 'pride and joys' slide down the road (just part of being a biker I suppose) and I know you'll soon have her back in your garage looking top shape. Being without a bike in winter is a lot easier than summer. You'll have a fantastic reunion ride to look forward to when she gets back- go for a good 'un.
While she's being repaired see if you can grab some bits off her to get some extra chrome on her.

·
Registered
692 Posts
a few nights back j was dreaming my rune had been stolen. j runned the risk of an hearthbrake. when j realized it was only a dream j felt little better but for a couple of days not happy.
j know the ice. till the ice continue there are no problems. you seat on the bike and the bike runs as a snowboard. unfortunately the ice ends and the bike starts as a wild mustang. (horse)
Happy you had not body problems.
ciao
hannibal

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looking forward to the days when your repairs are done.

Glad to hear the bike took the beating and not the rider. She'll be fixed up in a jiffy. That's what we have insurance for. Keep up the good spirits and get well soon. Stay off the knee and it'll heal faster.

Diver Dave

·
Registered
236 Posts
chaseman,

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Black-Ice is the worst thing a Biker / Trucker can encounter.... nothing to do when you hit it but pray and hold on.

Glad you are OK .... the bike can be fixed.

It doesn't take much to total out one of these bikes, so the insurance company will be quick to write it off. One of the members on the MSN site hit a deer and totaled the bike.... I think he bought it back for around 5k.

Good luck with your insurance company and keep us posted on how it works out.

·
Administrator
6,931 Posts
hope all works out for you! I once hit some black ice while up in the mountains of Southern Cal when i lived there in the 70s. Dang scary thing on a bike. i watched two others in front of me go down. I barely.....carefully....got stopped and avoided going down. but it was close...and scary.

Take care...you'll be back on her in no time. When my wife dropped her bike....she did 3000 bucks in damage. Quite a few parts had to be replaced. I was shocked how quickly those parts came in...within a few days. bike was back to perfect about a week later! they actually have quite a few parts for the bike in their inventory.

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Sorry to hear about your baby, glad to hear you will heal.
I've droped a few (oil slick in the rain, loose gravel, RR tracks in the rain, Drunk Driver, hit him at 45 (down from 75) broad side)
Any wreck you can walk away from..........good to see you kept you head and was able to "ride" it out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
axxie

Chaseman

I know how bad black ice is ... :( NH is fraught with it for 6 months of the year. You are one lucky dude. :wink:

Be well and focus your pain on what you'll do next w/ your Rune. Maybe it will be an opportunity to make some change you wanted to do before but didn't think it made sence.

You must have had some real quick thinking to only hurt your knee.

NH Bill
8)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

8) I really appriciate you all writing me back. My knee is getting better and I dont think I cracked it. My bike is probably going to be totaled out. Thats what the Honda service writer said. The bike did a barrel roll so it got both sides and front and back. You wouldnt beleive the price of these parts. Tank $1400.00 One fork $980.00 front fender $480.00 etc. Because the prices are so high it probably wont be fixed, but the insurance agent is determined not to total it out so quickly. I will know by Monday what they will do. My insurance is progressive. Happy New Year

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
FYI, many parts show up on e bay. Tanks run about 4c, fenders 150-200 each. I have almost a full set of tin only missing a head light. Even fork parts, crash bars, muffler shrouds. It can be rebuilt over time, for a second toy 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.