Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys ever heard the phrase "Measure twice, cut once." Well guess who messed up a $3000 exhaust system by drilling in the wrong spot? Yep, you got it! Love the ferocious sound but the holes aren't where they should be.

Hopefully I can salvage the job by plugging and re-drilling as per instuctions. Call me the Rune Board's "Dunce", but after coming home from having a few after work, I decided it'd be as good a time as any to pop in the holes. What a mistake. Instead of drilling directly into the mufflers, I drilled where the actual pipes enter the mufflers on each side. It now definitely sounds more like a high-performance car than a motorcycle. As someone said in a previous post, it sounds like a dragster at idle and a funnycar upon hard acceleration.

The bottom line is that I'm concerned that if I leave them where they're at, cracks will develop in the tubing around the 1" holes. Not to mention the lack of sufficient back-pressure due to much of the exhaust fumes exiting "before" going through the mufflers. But man does it sound hellishly good & loud. However, my advice to all is "Never Drink and Drill."

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Get in line. Where I drilled my left one, i have a permanent black soot stain in the middle of my kickstand. Have a few more beers and forget about it! Ken

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The hard part will be removeing the pipes, any good welder will be able to patch the holes.
Then you can try it again while there off the bike!

Jack

·
Registered
486 Posts
LOL !

Man, I know you don't find it as funny as me, I spewed food chunks all over my monitor! LOL :D Never read a funny post and try to eat lunch at the same time! LOL How many beers had you drank man? We've posted lots of info and pics on this mod, you must have at least had
a 12-pak! :p
I don't think it was the subject of your post that made me spew chunks,
it was the way you wrote it. Thanks, I needed that! :D

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
i'm curious as to exactly where you drilled yours? i'm sure some others would like to see too...so as not to make the same mistake. can you describe where in more detail? Or ...if possible ...take some pics.

I know on the pics...i have tried several times to take pics of where i drilled mine....but the pics never come out very visible.

but i sure am curious where you did yours.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dont feel bad, last weekend i had too many myself and dropped my sportbike on my rune. I couldnt sleep all night. I cant figure out what happend and ive never dropped a bike in my life. I cant even figure out why the 600rr was doing next to the rune. Everything is usually spread out, its a dedicated bike garage.

Joecey

ordered parts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Don't Feel Bad.

I love the way it sounds and can easily correct the problem..... so long as no beer is involved. Don't know what it is about booze and power tools, but the combination always seems to get me in trouble. Either I turn into Rambo or Picasso. Last time it was the hedge trimmer. My bushes and shrubs looked great afterwards. Its just that my neighbor didn't like the elephant and kangaroo I made out of his boxwoods. The police didn't think it was funny either. Needless to say, we've not spoken since last summer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Drilling done - is it safe to drink and wrench?

I took careful note of the advice given by Need4Speed and modified my approach. I took my bike to a trusted mechanic and I drank beer while he drilled. I like the sound, but it is not as loud as I expected.

I ordered a bunch of pointy bolts and should have them soon.

Hey Need4Speed; you think it's safe to drink and wrench?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"To drink and wrench or not to drink and wrench?" That is the question.
Based on your posting, I can tell that you're a man of sound mind and judgement. Therefore in my expert opinion I say YES..... by all means drink and wrench, so long as I'm not held liable in the event that your Rune becomes maimed by YOUR actions. Remember, the oil will be on YOUR hands, not mine. In the unlikely event that you do kill your Rune, don't implicate me! I had nothing to do with it.
By the way, I'm willing to suffer the consequences for injuring my Rune with the drill because I love the way she screams and howls when I ride her hard and fast. I really wish my wife would react .............well ..... nevermind. I think I've fallen in love with my Rune!

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Firefit5,
I would be very careful drinking and wrenching on the blood-leters (pointies). I draw blood every time I wax.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Skibum's point about the points is something that had not occurred to me. I'll be cautious. You guys crack me up.

I've maximized my mood and minimized my bleeding. That was well worth logging in for.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts