Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.....let me say right up front, i think what i am about to relay to you folks to be pure BS. But....on the unlikely odds that there is a single bit of truth in what was told to me.....even though i HIGHLY doubt it....here goes my 'story':

When i had my Valkyrie 72000 mile tuneup recently....at the local dealer....one of the things they did was of course change the oil. I have been using synthetic oil since the bike had 12k miles on it...about 7 years ago! So for the last 7 years and 60k miles, i've been running synthetic.

Well...when i got the bike back, i noticed the first time i ran it on a good long run that i THOUGHT i could hear a little bit more engine noise....so i checked on the service repair order, and sure enough, looks like they changed my oil with regular Honda oil...INSTEAD of synthetic. i forgot to specifiy synthetic oil....dog gone it!

now for the 'bizarre' part of this story. When i mention this to one of my riding buddies...and tell him i plan on changing the oil back to synthetic oil immediately, he says" oh no....you're engine is already screwed". He goes on to tell me that "everyone knows" you can't change back to regular oil....after running synthetic. Something about particulates in the oil doing something to the rings.....bike burning tons of oil.....etc.

So, I have to ask. Am i the ONE and ONLY person on this planet that has never heard of such rubbish before? SURELY there is absolutely no truth to that. Changing from synthetic to regular oil...should present no more problems than going the other direction...i would think. i've heard some of the 'other' arguments about synthetic oils....like don't run them until the bike is broke in (my dealer recommends NOT running synthetic oils until most bikes have about 12k on them....thus...i'm just NOW getting ready to finally change my Rune over to synthetic)...etc. But I've never heard anyone say 'jack' about running regular oil after running synthetic causing any trouble. Though it does seem to make the engine run a bit noiser ....which doesn't surprise me....since changing to the synthetic way back when made it run quieter!

So....is this guy full of it....or what?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Tim,

He is full of BS. And he owes you a beer. Stupid. Ignorant.
Hey, you got a free engine flush from Honda. No, wait. You paid for it!

Drain when hot. And put on a new filter. Nothing has happened.
geez. what a dweeb.

Ken (32,010 miles)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Synthetic Oil

I worked in Mobil Research in Paulsboro NJ for 13 years. This is where Mobil 1 was developed, and where they ran a Mercedes for 1 MILLION miles with proper oil changes. That is BULL, you can certainly change back. The ONLY reason you should leave REGULAR oil in your bike for a while is because of the rubber gaskets, Synthetic Oils will pass through them until they are properly 'weathered'.

Synthetic is the way to go, if you want your Rune Forever.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Jeff

I will soon be receiving my new bike...with one year or so "new" old oil...So, if I understood properly, I should change to regular fresh oil to please those "rubber gaskets"...but for how long before switching to synthetic for ever !!!
Thx for your expertise

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Jacque,

Well, if you go by MY experience with MY Rune.....

I changed to synthetic at 500 miles, and have just today changed my oil at 32,050 miles. Leaks, seals??? what leaks?

Remember that I ran my Rune 5,000 miles on one oil change when I rode from South Carolina to Denver Colorado and back. And, I took a rider up Pikes Peak on my 2-up seat (up to 13,000 feet where the road was closed due to snow). When I got back home, my oil dipstick was exactly where it was when I put the oil in. By the way, my Rune dribbled about 3 drops of coolant onto the right cylinder head cover by the time I got to the top. That was the only thing I noticed and that was from the cheesy coolant reservoir cap. We pulled up the last 9 miles up the mountain in 2nd gear the whole way... on gravel sand.

So, I would replace the oil very soon, because it has been sitting in "storage" everyone knows you change the oil after months of storage even if you dont put any miles on it.
I would put the Honda synthetic blend in it and run for 500 miles.
Then put in in synthetic. You have MOTUL oil. Great stuff since you cant get Amsoil.... then get on the AutoRoute, pay your toll and ride the Hell out of your Rune. Dont baby the engine! That way if there is any ring seating that needs to happen, it will.

Ken (32,050 miles)

·
Registered
347 Posts
THx for your suggestion.

The plan is to put you new non synthetic oil. Then Minimarvel and a Friend will ride my bike down to Montpellier (950 miles) then I will change to the best synthetic I will find +filter (I believe it's the same than the Gold Wing)
We will meet somewhere in the journey down to finish the voyage together, if this is not true "entente cordiale" between England and France I really winder what it is...except Rune cross border friendship maybe?

BTW, I can't count on the Honda warranty here in France, warranty is only valid for US...this is why I would love to see a class action regarding the BS catastrophy....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Even with one change of oil, you do not displace all the oil in the engine. What you have now is a "blend" of synthetic and dyno -based oils.

If you are concerned, change as mentioned above, then change again in another 1k miles or so. That'll get the majority of fluid swapped out.

Honda doesn't have a full synthetic, just a blend - their HP4. So, if they have been providing a "systhetic" for you, I'd find out what they are using. You may not actually be using a full synthetic after all.

The HP4 has "Shear-stable polymer additive for smoother, more positive shifting." If you went back to GN4 you certainly could notice a difference in shifting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts