Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m going to change the air filter on my 2004 Rune with the extended handlebar option. I’m following everything it say’s to do in the Service Manual until I get to the part about rotating the handlebars, which I do as per instructions, however the tank keeps getting hung up on the hydraulic lines coming out of the clutch and the front brake. Even if the hydraulic lines weren’t in the way I don’t think it will clear the handlebars. Someone out must have accomplished this momentous task before me, please I’m begging you to impart your knowledge to me before I lose what’s left of my sanity. Thanks for any replies……going crazy in Texas.

·
Let's Geaux
2004 NRX18DB4 w/Chrome Wheels
992 Posts
Hi Jimmy,
Send me a PM with your location in Texas, I am in Texas as well. If we are close enough, I may be able to help with the problem cause about 8 to 10 years ago I built custom handlebars for the Rune and there was controversy over the better way to go to get more pull-back from the handlebar... In any case, send me a PM if you would like to discuss the issue.
RaRune
Rod

Reactions: Afghanpilot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there Mr RaRune, thanks for getting in touch. Yes it is true I am in fact in the great Lone Star State. Actually born and raised in Houston then about 17 years ago decided to move about 70 miles north to the small town of Montgomery. Now as far as my 2004 Rune is concerned I finally released the tank’s rear hinge and was able to slide the tank back, made a makeshift gantry, put it over the bike with heavy duty webbing and a come along, put plastic coated wire thru the tanks mounting holes and lifted that sucker high enough to actually see the air cleaner cover. After replacing the filter,put it all back together started that puppy up and it ran fine…….. just one problem. The F1 light it now blinking at me. In fact it blinks exactly 9 times quickly and repeats itself. Back to the service manual. As it turns out 9 blinks means there is something up with the IAT sensor which is mounted to the top of the air filter housing. The IAT has a couple of wires going to it and plugs in to the actual sensor which I had to unplug during the filter exchange. So now I figure I either didn’t plug it in all the way or maybe dislodged one of the wires. Any way I look at it that is what I’m fixing to get started on today. Unfortunately some crazy RUNE owner before me had the bright idea to run led lights all over the bike and did an amazing job of running wire everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE. I appreciate the extra visibility it affords but disgusted with the sloppy installation. About the handlebars, from what I gather Honda gave most Rune buyers the option in 2004 to have the bars reach back 2 inches closer to the driver and lowered then by 0.8 in . I also read that this option as well as the chrome wheels came as standard equipment on the 2005 model year.By the way RaRune last Sat I had to drive 140 miles to Houston and back to get an air filter at a great motorcycle dealer Stubb’s Cycles, been in the same location since I was a little kid….. and that’s a long time ago. Anyway on the showroom floor was a Black Cherry ‘04 Rune just like mine. Didn’t get the mileage on the bike but I sure got the price…….. $29,000.00 made me feel just a little better. Where in TX are you? Gotta go for now that dang Rune ain’t gonna fix itself.

·
Let's Geaux
2004 NRX18DB4 w/Chrome Wheels
992 Posts
Hey there Mr RaRune, thanks for getting in touch. Yes it is true I am in fact in the great Lone Star State. Actually born and raised in Houston then about 17 years ago decided to move about 70 miles north to the small town of Montgomery. Now as far as my 2004 Rune is concerned I finally released the tank’s rear hinge and was able to slide the tank back, made a makeshift gantry, put it over the bike with heavy duty webbing and a come along, put plastic coated wire thru the tanks mounting holes and lifted that sucker high enough to actually see the air cleaner cover. After replacing the filter,put it all back together started that puppy up and it ran fine…….. just one problem. The F1 light it now blinking at me. In fact it blinks exactly 9 times quickly and repeats itself. Back to the service manual. As it turns out 9 blinks means there is something up with the IAT sensor which is mounted to the top of the air filter housing. The IAT has a couple of wires going to it and plugs in to the actual sensor which I had to unplug during the filter exchange. So now I figure I either didn’t plug it in all the way or maybe dislodged one of the wires. Any way I look at it that is what I’m fixing to get started on today. Unfortunately some crazy RUNE owner before me had the bright idea to run led lights all over the bike and did an amazing job of running wire everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE. I appreciate the extra visibility it affords but disgusted with the sloppy installation. About the handlebars, from what I gather Honda gave most Rune buyers the option in 2004 to have the bars reach back 2 inches closer to the driver and lowered then by 0.8 in . I also read that this option as well as the chrome wheels came as standard equipment on the 2005 model year.By the way RaRune last Sat I had to drive 140 miles to Houston and back to get an air filter at a great motorcycle dealer Stubb’s Cycles, been in the same location since I was a little kid….. and that’s a long time ago. Anyway on the showroom floor was a Black Cherry ‘04 Rune just like mine. Didn’t get the mileage on the bike but I sure got the price…….. $29,000.00 made me feel just a little better. Where in TX are you? Gotta go for now that dang Rune ain’t gonna fix itself.
I am located just a few miles North of Dallas. Too bad you had to do all of that extra work for an air filter change.
Years ago, for anyone that bought my custom handlebars, in order to replace the air filter, they just followed the procedure in the service manual... and then with the handlebars I built for my own Rune, I made the center section a few inches wider so I could mount a tachometer on one side and a GPS/iPhone on the other side without doing any magic mounting tricks. Hope your FI light problem is just a disconnected wire... Later.

Reactions: Afghanpilot
1 - 4 of 4 Posts