Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been riding motorcycles since 1972 and had seven bikes since then. Honda, Yamaha, and some Harleys and am currently riding a 2004 RoadStar. Up until last weekend the only Rune I had ever seen was up on a display lift at the dealers and it looked incredibly large. I finally saw one on the pavement and got to talk to the rider and all I can say is WOW! Now, I've always been impressed with the Valkerie,(who hasn't?) but the Rune is flat out the most incredible cruiser on the road. Don't get me wrong, cause I love my RoadStar but what could stand up to the rune? Boss Hoss? Triumph Rocket Three? If Darth Vader rode a motorcycle it would have to be a black Rune.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Darth would ride a Primer Rune, but Luke's would be Illusion Blue

Get one and come join us...all are welcome to the club

·
Registered
561 Posts
Up until last weekend the only Rune I had ever seen was up on a display lift at the dealers and it looked incredibly large. I finally saw one on the pavement and got to talk to the rider and all I can say is WOW! Now, I've always been impressed with the Valkerie,(who hasn't?) but the Rune is flat out the most incredible cruiser on the road. Don't get me wrong, cause I love my RoadStar but what could stand up to the rune? Boss Hoss? Triumph Rocket Three?
I think we've all been here just before we bought our Rune! :1st:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awed & Impressed

Well Gars, are you telling me that I may have caught THE bug? Am I going to find myself searching the classifieds now? Jeesh! I've got a funny feeling in my stomach now. Rune riders must get some amazing reactions from other riders wherever you go. How about sharing some?

·
Iron Butt
4,924 Posts
I have seen several people miss the protected turn arrow at intersections because they were staring at my Rune. I have seen near misses because they were gawking at the Rune. If you get one, be prepared to talk to nearly everyone you see about everything Rune. KNOW YOUR BIKE!! Good Luck... there are still NEW 0 Mile units out there... getting more and more scarce every day!! Especially the Illusion Blue Runes!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Well Gars, are you telling me that I may have caught THE bug? Am I going to find myself searching the classifieds now? Jeesh! I've got a funny feeling in my stomach now. Rune riders must get some amazing reactions from other riders wherever you go. How about sharing some?
I'd seen a Rune a couple of years ago at a Honda dealer's demo ride days, but coming off a scooter it took all the courage I could muster up to test ride the '07 Goldwing. The Rune just loked too intimidating!

Bought the gl1800 in 5/08 and also joined the associated boards for it.

Someone made a posting on the gl1800 board about the Rune so I came over to see what all the fuss was about.

There is something magical about that flat 6 boxer engine. The gl1800 hides it well with the fairing, but the Rune just lets it all hang out! And chrome galor not to mention that tricked out front suspension! The power of the gl1800 is still awesome and I could only imagine it in a cruiser!

I learned about the Rune Rally in Erwin, TN and made a trip down there to see the most Runes I could imagine.

http://s511.photobucket.com/albums/s355/gsimms_photos/?albumview=grid

From then the hunt was on. It took a couple of months to find the right fit.

A posting was made on Ebay and I called the fellow that day and made an appointment to see it the next day - Halloween. It was about 500 miles away or a 10 hour drive. I think the owner was really surprised to see me actually show up. About 2 minutes into the inspection I told him to consider it sold and I'd leave a deposit check. Went down the next weekend to bring it home from it nice 80 degree Georgia to the 30 degree rain and sleet Illinois.

The first day I rode it (11/11/08 two fellows approached me at the gas station and asked all sorts of questions about it. My next stop was at the local Menards store for a key to open the seat. Two fellows stopped to look at it when I rode up and upon returning san the key, there were a dozen standing around it trying to figure out what it was.

My office manager's husband has a couple of Harleys. While she'd seen my little Rune model, when she first saw the Rune in person she exclaimed "It's so big!" I didn't say a word as she turned 5 shades of red.

Last week I'd been out for a little ride and was stopped at a light waiting for it to turn green. A fellow on a Harley pulled up beside me (never done as it's bad manners to do so if you're not riding with the person at the light) and exclaimed "What the hell is that? It's all engine!"

Last Friday I had a fellow pull in off the street, park behind the Rune, and jump out exclaiming "Is that your Rune?" It turns out he has a CBC Rune and his friend has the DCB Rune. He spent 10 minutes looking it over and asking questions about the accessories I'd added.

We have a big Harley store out on the north side of town. There are always a lot of bikers heading to and from it in all directions. They always do a double take as the Rune goes by. They're trying to figure out what it is.

That's most of the stories from my 7 days of riding the bike. Only two days were above 50 degrees. I can imagine the fun I'll have this summer.:excited:
Here ya go. It's only money. I have faith in you; you'll make more!

http://www.oodle.com/vehicle/-/make_honda/?q=rune&oldq=honda+rune&inbs=1&bsm=_2_sale%285%29

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/M...orcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQQ_flnZ1?_rdc=1

:biker:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
When the prices went south on the warehoused Runes a year-and-a-half ago, I happened to show a picture to my wife ... who'd surprised me when she almost preferred the VTX to the Wing some years ago. We'd bought the VTX for my stepson, and then bought it back from him when he went to the 'stan. After seeing the Rune and then seeing the prices, she made some phone calls herself and talked a dealer down a few more bucks, and the next thing I knew, I was flying down to Texas. I drove up to Dallas and picked up my stepson and we drove back south to Georgetown and bough TWO runes (his is boring black :duck:).
While I was used to getting some attention with the orange wing, the looks we got on twin Runes were something else. In several days of riding Texas hill country before riding mine back to Michigan, it was almost impossible to leave a stop without someone asking about the bikes. We were leaving Coopers BBQ in Llano when a couple stopped to talk and he said that he'd never even seen one before the previous day in a dealership and here was TWO of them out on the road!
Basically, if you like attention, and you enjoy having strangers come up to you to bend your ear about bikes ... the Rune is IT.
It's also a kick to ride ... and I had only ridden Wings in the past (before the VTX) never even wanted to sit on a cruiser ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awed &

Well you know that I had to go through all the trouble of registering just to post my Awe & admiration of the Rune and of course I've bookmarked this site too. I feel myself being drawn in like I've got one boot stuck in quicksand already. Gars I hope you have many, many more rides on your Rune and I get to hear more stories of the reactions that rune riders get. It has to be the most eye catching, head turningest motorcycle on the road. Certainly not cookie cutter. I know what the Harley rider that pulled up next to you at the light must have been thinking. The Rune motor looks like the Gold Wings motor on steroids. Most of my friends ride HDs and I haven't found one yet that even knew what I was talking about when I mentioned the Rune. We could use one for diversity in our group dontcha think?:razz:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Welcome to the site.
The best part of owning a Rune (since '03): the harley rider's GIRLFRIENDS are always clustered around your RUNE. :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
The Rune motor looks like the Gold Wings motor on steroids. Most of my friends ride HDs and I haven't found one yet that even knew what I was talking about when I mentioned the Rune. We could use one for diversity in our group dontcha think?:razz:
The Rune is all about looks.

It has many shortcomings. It has no storage, no cruise control, no clock, no tach, no radio - intercom - CB.

Since there are so few (best estimate I've seen is 4000 :duck:) there are few folks making aftermarket parts. The best source for Rune add ons is the "Accessories" forum on this site.

Finding a mechanic to work on the Rune can be trying too. Many have never actually worked on one.

One magazine article commented on its solo seat saying it was fantastic for attracting attention, but there is no seat for a passenger!

The gl1800 has all of these ammenities and more, but its ubiquitous nature means it's "just another wing."

Still, only a custom cycle turn heads like the Rune.

·
Registered
561 Posts
One person's shortcomings is another's must-not-have list.
The Rune was never meant to be a gl1800; it was meant to be Honda's ultimate cruiser. It fills that spot very well.

Still the clock and tach are not forgivable! :wink:

Some of my friends look at the Rune and ask "What were you thinking?" I tell them if you don't understand it, no words can explain it!

People think it's the coolest bike Honda ever built or they flat out hate it!

I love shutting the garage at night and seeing the red gl1800 beside the IB Rune. Along with the two Accords it's like a Honda dealership.

:biker:

·
Wild Hog
1,219 Posts
Gars,

Same here ... a Rune, Gold Wing, and Accord all neatly displayed in my garage like a Honda dealership.

·
Iron Butt
4,924 Posts
I diversified. Chevy, Saturn, Honda, Honda and Toyota.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awed &

Well I'm glad to see so much pride in Rune ownership and it's just what I expected. The one I saw a couple of weekends ago had a small windshield and some sort of T-Bag like luggage thing on the back. Must have had a passenger seat too, and none of it detracted much from the bike in my eyes as I know the bag comes right off. Hearing that the Harley riders girlfriends all gather around the Runes makes me chuckle. Maybe a "Disturbance In the Force" will lead me to a deal I can't refuse. In the mean time ride on Rune riders and may the Force be with you. Keep those accounts of astonished looks and "What the?" stories coming. I wonder if Jay Leno has one.

·
Administrator
1,265 Posts
Hi Paul and a hearty welcome into our group,

The stories you've read are so true to the Rune. Whenever the group I'm riding with stops to stretch our legs, get gas etc. inevitably onlookers totally bypass all the Harleys and zone in on the Rune. The group is so used to it by now they can even answer all the technical questions. As said before, if you buy one and I hope you do, get used to lots of attention and questions galore. :biker:

-Ollie

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
It more than just the looks, for me it’s the ride. Sure the storage is a challenge for longer trips, but there are some very easy "Temporary” fixes for that,

1 - 20 of 90 Posts