Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me it’s not so……possible BBS

My baby left me on the side of the road waiting for my trailer today.
She took us to Daytona, to walk in the parade of bikes at each site for bike week, 10 days, no problems at all. (Met up with fellow RuneRider Dennis and rode the loop). Even had the oil changed for free while there and brought her a Wind Vest and a T bag too.
She took us down to Key West for a few days on the beach. 10 hours each way with stops to play with the Gators (took Rt. 41, I hate riding the Interstates) I hit 101 mph before the wife started pulling the skin off my back) NO PROBLEMS
Then today I give her a good wash at the power washer (had to get any left over ocean salt and sand off) then took a ride to the beach here in Fort Myers. After about ½ hour of bumper to bumper traffic I finally make it over the bridge to the island. The fan had been running a lot and then seems to quit. I noticed that my baby didn’t want to idle right, (ran real slow) but when I gave it the gas it still sounded strong. I let her cool off at the beach and then headed back to my daughters house. Apx. 10 miles down the road, again with the slow idle and no fan coming on. I though she was overheating for some reason, so instead of killing the motor I called for my trailer to pick us up. Back at the house I checked all fluids and everything was good and full.
She idled fine for awhile and then dropped down to a slow rumble again. I revved her a couple of times and saw BLACK SMOKE from the pipes, not a lot but noticeable to me.
Tim, please tell me these aren’t the symptoms you experienced before your BBS problem.
I had planned on running the Dragon in NC on my way back to NJ next week but if I’ve got the BBS then it’s I.95 for me.

Tim or any others who had the BBS please let me know if this sounds like what happen to you.
Bad Rune Bad Bad Boy

UPDATE
I worked on my RUNE this morning - couldn't sleep with her being sick
I ran her for awhile and again no Fan and started to run slow at idle
I had checked the fuse for the fan yesterday and it looked good so I had not changed it, today I decided to change it "just in case" and to my surprise the fan kicked in and no slow idle. :pepper1: :clap2:
The old 30a fuse still looks good but for some reason it doesn't work.
Well it looks like I'll be able to run the Dragon's Tail after all.
It's time to leave the flat (straight) roads of Florida and find me some hills and twisties to run on the way back to the snowy hills of NJ. Hopefully I can run the Skyline drive through NC and Va. if it's not to cold,

Sorry for the BBS scare but I guess from the low idle speed the carbon build up was putting out the black smoke

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Remember there has also been a problem with moisture in one of the wiring conection plugs. It's been a long time since anyone has talked about it but the circumstances were wet weather riding.
Check it out, we can only hope it's not BBS.
Jack

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
with my BBS.....there were NO warnings....nothing. It just happened....and when it did...it was rough idle....tons of black smoke...etc. No 'early' symptoms....just BAM....full blown "BBS".

·
Registered
665 Posts
BBS

I noticed my BBS problem when the idle dropped a bit on start up just after filling my gas tank an noticing that my mileage had dropped significantly (from around 37 to 30) At the time I attiributed it to running 200 miles in a stiff headwind - the gas mileage was ok on the previous tank. ... In reality I was just hoping and knew something else was happening but was praying it wasn't the BBS monster others had experienced.. It was BBS indeed. I never had the fan kicking out (but thanks- good to know-the fuse thing). From the beginning of the problem I would guess I drove 75 miles...including getting home that first day (25 miles) and riding the bike to my dealer the next morning (50 miles) Once the BBS thing started it got progressively worse until it was so flooded from the TPS malfunction it shut down and wouldn't start. Just happened to be when I pulled into the dealer ..., I looked like deisel blowing black smoke. If I had the blower thing happen to me today that John (Skibum) had ... without the knowledge of the fuse, I would probably only focus on the smoke and not be observant enough to notice the blower.... I would immediately think I had the start of BBS again... Again..It's not what you don't know that hurts you...It's what you know for sure that ain't so.... thanks Skibum...I have this on my list of stuff to watch for.

·
Jersey Boy
2,806 Posts
Like with John's problem , if I am not mistaken, a couple of BBS issues started with riding in rain, washing our baby, etc -----WATER :eek:4: . In John's case he mentioned he had power washed her, whats up with that. Has Honda found anything more about this issue ( BBS ) that we should know about :?: :?:
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
665 Posts
BBS

I should have stated...my BBS was preceeded with a power wash also... with the engine running.... I tried not to put the high pressure on the engine area... But you are right RuneSki the early BBS was thought to connected to water... rain and/or washing. I cranked mine up just outside the garage last night...First time its run for more than a couple minutes with the new throttle bady on it... sounded so sweet... hope it holds up...

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
mine probably didn't have anything to do with water...that i know of? i almost NEVER ride in rain (haven't in over a year now!). Mine just happened suddenly...while riding on a sunny day! Of course, that said, i wash my bike at least a couple of times a month 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts