Rune Rider Forums banner
501 - 520 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
OEM Part Number: 38770-MEC-673, Superseded by 38770-MEC-674
yes....correct ecm(y)

Wrong Key Blank....you need.........

KEY, BLANK (NO.2) (KEY NO. CXX/DXX) DXX is D21, the XX represents whatever 2 digits your key has, the key to the key code is the letter, in this case the D
35122-MEC-811
correct key blank (you need 2)(y)

Thank you RUNE 517 !:)(y)

Unfortunately, these keys are not available at Partzilla ...:cry:

do you know another seller ?
thank you so much
Alain

·
Registered
836 Posts
(you need at least 2)(y)
There, fixed it for you, 517.
We can have up to 4 keys programmed per bike (as I did for my daily driver). If I'm across the continent and lose the 2 I carry, I can call home and have a replacement sent to me.

I imagine most people aren't as paranoid as I am...

skip

·
Registered
836 Posts
... the spare chipped key buried deep within the Rune. Faster than waiting on one being sent to me, plus I don't need to depend on anyone or a service to get a spare to me...
(y)
The 2 spare keys I leave at home are in FedEx envelopes and left separately with each of my kids. So, theoretically, I could get one delivered anywhere overnight. There are times when even for a cheapo like me, cost is immaterial.

skip

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I don't remember anyone ever mentioning how much of a PITA swapping out an ECM could be. It's kind of buried down in there, isn't it? My hands are big. And I am having trouble bending my fingers & knees this morning - darned arthritis and working in the shop don't mix well nowadays.

Also, I'd like to specifically point out that although my service manual clearly indicates the ignition pulse generator to be located under the front RIGHT FRONT SIDE cover, it's two prong connector, which is required to be disconnected from the bike's harness in order to connect the key programming harness into the HSS system, is located under the LEFT FRONT SIDE cover. I should have known that, as it was near that connector that I had to 'tap into' one of the pulse generator's wires many years ago while wiring in my Audiovox vacuum operated cruise control. I spent over an hour and a half last evening trying, in vain, to find that connector. After giving up finding it on the bike, I resorted to searching the old threads here, only to remember that all the old photos that once assisted in such matters are no longer present.

A quick shout out to a Brian Johnson rune owner who posted up a quick key programming video on youtubie where I was reminded of where that connector was located, and also able to see exactly how to program my keys to my new ECM.
Thank you Brian!! How to program a new key for the Rune - YouTube (hope it is legal to copy that link here.)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
SUCCESS!!! (or so it would seem so far) I managed to program two keys to the new ECM last evening and buttoned up the bike. But not before suffering a case of extreme anxiety by not being able to locate my original main key to begin the process. After failing to find it ANYWHERE, after hunting the shop, garage, house, closets, dirty clothes hamper etc.., I came to the conclusion that it must still be in the locksmith's possession since he was the last one to have it as he cut my two new keys last Wednesday. I did, however, manage to find my original spare key and got the programming started with it instead. 3:00 AM - I suddenly awaken out of a sound sleep to the realization that I had to have used the original main key to remove the farkin' seat!!! And even though it's nearly an unwritten rule with these bikes that each and every time I've ever removed the seat, I forget the key in that lock and have to retrieve it to restart the bike on the next trip out of the garage. ------------early onset alzheimer's ------ ??????? ------- shaking my head -------

I rode the whopping 6 miles to work this morning without turning on the FI light. Being a holiday weekend, perhaps I'll get some better mileages logged and put it to a better test, but I have my fingers crossed that it's fixed.

·
Let's Geaux
2004 NRX18DB4 w/Chrome Wheels
992 Posts
SUCCESS!!! (or so it would seem so far) I managed to program two keys to the new ECM last evening and buttoned up the bike. But not before suffering a case of extreme anxiety by not being able to locate my original main key to begin the process. After failing to find it ANYWHERE, after hunting the shop, garage, house, closets, dirty clothes hamper etc.., I came to the conclusion that it must still be in the locksmith's possession since he was the last one to have it as he cut my two new keys last Wednesday. I did, however, manage to find my original spare key and got the programming started with it instead. 3:00 AM - I suddenly awaken out of a sound sleep to the realization that I had to have used the original main key to remove the farkin' seat!!! And even though it's nearly an unwritten rule with these bikes that each and every time I've ever removed the seat, I forget the key in that lock and have to retrieve it to restart the bike on the next trip out of the garage. ------------early onset alzheimer's ------ ??????? ------- shaking my head -------

I rode the whopping 6 miles to work this morning without turning on the FI light. Being a holiday weekend, perhaps I'll get some better mileages logged and put it to a better test, but I have my fingers crossed that it's fixed.
I am really happy that I am NOT the only one who loses his keys...JIM...
-Rod

Reactions: Afghanpilot

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have to confess that I once "lost" my key, searched every nook and cranny for it, and then "found" it in the seat latch release where someone had idiotically left it.
Ya, me too...

I have 4 keys; #2 is attached to clothing I don't ride without, #3 and #4 are in separate Fed Ex envelopes with my kids...

skip

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Saturday, I took the Rune on a 50 round trip up to Joplin to get some parts for my big mower, with most of those miles being at highway speeds of 70-80 mph. Happy to report - STILL NO FI LIGHT!!

I am really happy that I am NOT the only one who loses his keys...JIM...
-Rod

Ya Rod, but unfortunately for me, there's not a Harley rider anywhere near my neighborhood that I could lay the blame for this one. ;) I do wish you lived closer so's you could have helped me look for it though. Shala cooks a mean cheese burger on the grill and generally stocks plenty of brew on hand. We could have called it a mini-rally, or somept'n.

501 - 520 of 530 Posts