Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising a short distance from my home going about 35mph in a straight line when a car pulled out from a side street stop sign directly into my path. I dove off the bike and it pile drove the side of his car. I have minor injuries but no complaints about how I came out of it. The bike was severely damaged and may be a total loss.

It was the first time in (23) years of riding that I have ever been down. :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thank the lord you are OK. I take it she or maybe a he was on the phone??? or maybe kids in the back. The bike is replaceable, your life is not.

Cheers

·
Jersey Boy
2,806 Posts
Firefit5
Thank God you had the split second thinking to save you from serious injury or worse. The bike can be replaced, you can't .
Good to hear your O.K :yes:
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Larry
Glad your OK. what a bummer. I was hopeing we'd get to ride together this summer. You'll need to get a new scooter before you head of to the Keys!
Jack

·
Registered
32 Posts
WHOA!

Goes to show that none of us are immune to vehicle mishaps no matter who we are or our level of experience. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. You have lived to ride another day. That's all that matters. In my nearIy 30 yrs. of motorcycling, I can count on both hands and feet the times where 4-wheelers didn't "see" me and caused a near-miss. Keep your head up, replace your Rune and by all means keep riding!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok, the bike is replaceable.
So what lame ass excuse did this cager give you for pulling out in front of you? Let me guess, "I didn't see you"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad you're ok. Did you go to the hospital to get checked out? - you must have taken a nasty fall even without the half ton bike. Did the police get a statement from the other driver? I have far more altercations with cars in light (or no) traffic than in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Also glad to know you're ok. Your 23 years without an accident weren't wasted. Your experience gave you the innate-sense to do the right thing in an instant when it was needed. The bike was expendable, you're not. Nice one spidey!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Survival and madness

Glad to hear you made it out in one piece. I have only been down twice and I can recall watching my bike destroy itself as I slid along behind it on my backside.

My question is, how did you avoid felony manslaughter charges? If the Rune hadn't gotten him, I suspect I would have done it with my bare hands.

I hope you pursue his carelessness to the full extent of the law. I learned today that automobile drivers are called Cagers. It is time one of them paid for attempted murder (defined as willful negligence) with every asset he or his descendants might own.

As long as there is no penalty, drivers will continue to "not see" the half ton of machine and rider with the blinding headlamp coming at them. Make 'em pay!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all

I just want to express my sincere appreciation to all who have forwarded kind thoughts and encouraging comments. As I mentioned previously, I am doing fine. I need a little more fluid drawn off one knee, and a little more cortisone in one shoulder. At my age you just can't dive onto the pavement and then dust yourself off. Shoot, I can't even dive into bed without taking an anti-inflammatory.....

I miss my bike. But last night I saw an interview with some of our troops who have retuned home and miss the limbs they left in Iraq. I'm over my bike now.

Thanks again. And I'll drop y'all a note when I'm back in the saddle.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Now that you are ok, is there a chance that you could post any pictures of that bike? I know it's my own morbid fantasy, but I would like to see what a wrecked Rune looks like.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Damaged Rune pictures

Shawn,

To satisfy Your a bit odd tendencies :),get off by going to Photo Post, Rune Section, select "sort by", Choose "latest", then You have 10 pics on page 1 and 2.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks John. Oh, the humanity! Wow. There are still a LOT of good parts on that bike. It sounds like someone needs to start selling some parts on EBay.

Hey FireFit, I assume the bike was totalled. The neck on the frame has got to be damaged and since no one really likes welding aluminum (well, unless you own a GoldWing) I guess it's a goner.

I am glad you are doing ok. It looks like it could have been a lot worse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts