Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday morning I’m taking the Rune in to replace the front tire, have some Ultimate Machining pointy things bolted on and have rear set bars installed. In preparation I removed the WindVest.

I’ve not seen my Rune without the Vest for more than a year and what a difference it makes. The Rune just should not have a windshield and it is going to break my heard when I reinstall it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Think SMALLER. I bought my Vest after seeing the pictures here. Thing was I didn't know which one everyone else bought so I ordered the 14".
Now the factory mounts don't work, so I made my own and had them plated. I think this smaller screen is the best. I can lower my head 1 inch and get my eyes out of the wind. ( tested it without my glasses ). To me the 16" would be way to big to be sexy! :yes:
My custom mounts bolt on top of the handelbar crown plate and won't leave a scratch if I decide to remove them. Sorry about not haveing a photo to share yet, but it's cold up here and I would be glad to send my mounts to Tom for paterns if anyone is interested in jioning me with the smaller screen.
Jack

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have both the 16" Windvest and the Corbin Trim Tab. I like the Corbin best for performance but I think that it shields from view to much of the chrome front top area. The Windvest is a compromise in this regard, exposing most of this area, but does not do as an effective job in diverting the wind from the rider.

I use the Windvest most because it can be removed for short rides and then be reinstalled quickly for long day or weekend rides. The Corbin requires a much longer and involved effort to reinstall (about one hour compared to maybe 10 minutes).

I agree with many others here that the bike looks much better without either..

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My problem is that I am a pansy-ass, anything above 60 mph and my eyes dry out. With the 16 inch WinVest I can lean a bit forward, lower my head and most of the wind velocity passes above head. With the setback handle bars this may become more of a problem for me, because I assume they will allow me to sit in a more upright position.

Of course this would not be a problem if I wore a helmet.

·
Jersey Boy
2,806 Posts
Chuck,
I have the perfect remedy to keep your eyes from drying out at speeds over 60 mph. without the windvest mounted. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Close them :wink:
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Been off the board for a while .....

Looked at your post, and I agree with the "naked" look. For your eye watering problem, get a set of Wiley-X Glasses / Goggles. My wife and I use the wrap around style with interchangeable lenses / foam "seals", and they are grrrrrrrrrreat.

Check them out on their web site, www.wiley-x.com/ntInter.php

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Dave I’ve missed ya, where have you been? Goggles, while not flattering, is an option.
Rich’s solution is only legal on the Garden State Parkway.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Chuck,

Been real busy with the new buildings. Most are rehabed on the exterior, and now we can move inside for the winter months to do the interiors. When they are done .... spring 05 .... it will give me about 5000 sq ft of toy room.

I did check in on the board every once and a while ..... I spotted something about you and a Crossfire .... do you like it .... is it what you expected?.

When they first came out I was torn between either a Crossfire or a 350Z.

Went with the Z and it has been a miles and miles of smiles....

Try out the Wiley-X glasses. If you go to the web site and look for dealers by zip code you should come up with some close to you. They are great up to about 65 / 75 MPH. Might not be the best for some of your 100+ time warps, the wind in the face gets a little strong. I use a fully coverage helmet when I feel the need for speed... but then it's "BUSA Time".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts