Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The symptoms, twice there was a silver dollar size puddle of coolant under the middle of the bike, rear of the engine. Riding, outside air temp
70f or below, moderate riding style not ridin her hard, come to a stop and the cooling fans are running. I knew this wasn't right because of my old valk, it takes a 85f plus day and hard runnin for the fans to kick on.
Took the rune to the Honda people last week so they could pressure test the system and straighten her out. When they pressure tested they found
SIX different connections where it was seeping coolant!
I'm going to Myrtle Beach next month, I'm sure glad I took her in.
This as most of you know has been a issue with with these bikes from the beginning. The Service Mgr told me they have the same issues with quite a few GL 1800's. Sounds like Honda needs to increase the factory torque specs on the cooling system of all 1800's.
You all should take your bikes in and have them checked, tell them there's been few small puddles and that the fans run on cool days, it's of course covered under warranty. The heat of summer is rapidly approaching!
[/b]

·
Registered
534 Posts
Temerature statements by Hogslayer

Hi all,

I'm not used to and familiar with temperature statements in Fahrenheit, so I looked up the definition at the wesite of the danish meteorological institute, and the definition is as follows according to that site, translated into english to my best lingual capabilities :

"Temperature scale mostly used in the US. Waters freezing point in this scale is fixed at 32 degrees Fahrenhiet and the boilingpoint is fixed at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. The scale is originally defined from the freezing point of water saturated with ammoniac (ammonium cloride) (0 degrees Fahrenheit) and the corps temperature of a human being (100 degrees Fahrenheit). Fahrenheit can be recalculated in to Celsius by first deducting 32 from the Fahrenheit figure, multiply by 5 and at last divide by 9."

Thus (as I understand the above) :

C = (F-32)*5/9.

Ref. Hogslayers post above:

70 degrees F = 21 degrees C
85 degrees F = 29 degrees C

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
When I flushed my Rune cooling system 2 weeks ago I tightened all the hose clamps. Some turned a full turn before getting tight.

So, if you are going to pay Honda to check the cooling lines (if not leaking, will they do it for free??? I doubt it.) you may as well pay them to go ahead and flush your system. The manual says after 1 year I think, or 12,000 miles. So, most of you guys are pushing the 1 year mark at the very least.

Ken (29,250 miles)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think if you tell them the fans run a lot and you've had some slight leaking, most of them would consider it warranty work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts