Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

hispy05 sent me a PM reguarding the BBS issue, and he brought up a good point.

What are the Serial Numbers / Build Dates of bike that have confirmed BBS problems?

From what I can remember confirmed BBS has affected 3 - 5 bikes of board members.

I am sure all Rune owners are concerned about their bikes being affected by BBS. From what hispy05 said the bikes in the EU are not covered by warranty.

So if everyone that has had BBS would post their info..... maybe a pattern would show. I am sure it would be helpful to be armed with this info when and if any other members run into BBS. It would be great to have a responce to ...."we haven't heard of any problems" when talking to Honda or its Dealers.

·
Administrator
6,892 Posts
i had BBS at about 9500 miles. Serial number 1062. Build date 06/03.

that said....ONE TIME....for a few seconds...SHerry's bike (serial 0492)displayed what surely looked like BBS conditions....smoking badly in the parking lot ...not wanting to idle...stalling...etc. But hers went away after about 20 seconds...and has NEVER reoccured.....YET.....

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
That brings up a lawyer type question where protection under a warranty provides you certain rights to having a problem fixed if it happens, and a latent defect, known by the manufacturer, is subject to recall. I would think that if my Rune dies and I incur expense beyond what would be considered normal for a happenstance warranty item failure, then Honda would need to share in the expense. they would still be ahead than if they recalled the population of bikes.

that being said..... I LOVE MY RUNE!!!!!!!!!!
Ken (26,700 miles and no BBS. I just keep having to fill that fuel tank thingy, and put on new tires every 9-11k miles)

·
Administrator
6,892 Posts
Sherry's front tire going on in the next couple of weeks. She has 7500 miles on hers....badly cupped just like mine was. i want to replace hers before we have that Cheaha Mountain rally. She doesn't need to be riding up and down that mountain on a badly worn tire!

10500 + on my bike...and rear tire looks good for at least another 1-2k??? Front was shot on mine at 8k

My pipes are at 1 1/8 inch holes Ken...they sound SWEET!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NTSB -- Not a bad idea

TaraRune said:
I'm wondering if we shouldn't be notifying the NHTSB
so that these incidents are on record with the government.
(National Highway Transportation Safety Board)
It seems often times I hear of auto recalls based on the
number of reports to the NHTSB.

Given the small number of members on this board vs. Runes sold
I wonder if there aren't more incidents out there. We also
have a small number of active users of the board.

I know Honda is aware of the issue based on my conversations
with the Honda Corporate rep from Cali at the show in Atlanta.
At first I thought I was going to have the TPS replaced before it
went but then they changed there mind and said they won't do
anything until it breaks. After this weekend I fear my time has
come.

K
The idea of notifying the NTSB is a good one.

I doubt that HONDA will step to the plate on BBS unless they get a push from the Goverment.

If it can be shown that BBS is more than a limited problem the "warranty" period may be expanded to cover it.

I have a 94 piece of sh...t GMC Diesel Dually that has gone through 3 $2000.00 pumps in 85,000 miles. They were covered by a special factory warranty policy.

If there members that have had documented BBS out there .... please help all RUNE owners by sending in the info.

·
Registered
852 Posts
NTSB

Contacting the NTSB sounds like a good idea. They would at least let us know if it is considered a road hazard by their standards. If they rule it as a safety issue then Honda would have to step up to the plate and correct the problem. My production # is 324. .... Mike

·
Registered
665 Posts
BBS

BBS at 7500 miles. I am #1HFSC53364A000528. Black Cherry, Spec 45 wheels, rear sweep handle bars. Now for tires...I changed a really badly cupped front at 8500 miles. I have around 11,800 right now and after 3000 + miles I see very little wear... no where near what I had on my first set at 3000 miles. Hopefully I will get some extra on this one. Increased tire pressure from 32 to 40 lbs cold seems to be my difference... Still on my original rear and it looks like it could get another 11,800 on it based on the wear I see. Very pleased with that...Course I avoid those burn pits Ken hangs out at. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts