Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Anyone on the Board having the Corbin rear fender on their Rune :?:

Any comments on this accessory to the Rune from those who have one on their Rune :?:

On Corbin website there's a lot of postive words about this accessory to the Rune, i.e. "Bugatti tail" etc.

I haven´t seen it IRL, but I remember comments on this board going something like this " ... a** uggly ..." etc.

Personally I think the design with the license plate mount on the left side of the bike must be some kind of odd - will it be a problem for the passenger on a dual seat :?:

The price USD 3.400 - USD 3.800 according to Corbin´s website - depending on colour - I think it is some kind of money, isen't it :?:

- Any comments :?:

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
That Bugatti tail was inspired by an article in the American Medical Journal about the worse case of hemorrhoidal inflammation known to mankind.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was at Corbin yesterday and saw the rear fender and to tell the truth it looks really nice, the only problem is doesn't have any real storage space so for $3k I'll pass. I ordered the new glove box in Candy Black Cherry. Will post pictures when it arrives in about a week.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Corbin Smuggler rear fender as a storing option

Steven,

Considered as a alternative storing option to the Corbin Glove Box there is of cause material price difference between the Corbin Rear Fender and the Corbin Glove Box.

I understand you just saw the Corbin Smuggler Rear Fender IRL at Corbin - how much storing space is there in the Rear Fender compared to the Glove Box ? - Just want to hear your subjective raw estimate ...

·
Registered
378 Posts
The fender had deep narrow storage that will holds lots of small things like glasses, gloves, cell phone and rolled up tee shirt, a pair of underpants and socks. Volume wise its about 3 times bigger than the glove box but its so oddly shaped it doesn't hold a lot. If you could put a jacket into it for an overnighter I would consider it but its just not big enough for carrying anything of significance. The glove box is small but you can get to the items you put into it.

Check out Tim's post at http://www.runeriders.com/viewtopic.php ... c&start=15 to see the glove box on the Rune.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bubble Butt rear fender

Chuck,

I suppose the phrase "Bubble Butt rear fender" used by you in an other thread on this Board equals "the worse case of hemorrhoidal inflammation known to mankind" ...

I sincerely hope that your choise of words and your use of lingual pictures aren't affected by your recently passed surgery. :hun1:

Furthermore I take your comments solely directed to such items (bubble butts) mounted on the Rune, not in general, i.e. "mounted" elsewhere ... :lol:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bugatti fender

Yes there are those on this site that have this..."thing" installed. Why? I don't know. It is totally wrong for the design of the bike...just like a two-up seat. The bike is not designed for it, and it completely changes the look and dynamic of the bike. Anything that changes the height of the tail destroys the intended look. This is just my opinion of course. For example: If a 49' Merc was a bike, the Rune is what it would look like, and no one would ever tamper with the tail of that car. Period. I'm just a purest I guess. (It killed me to put a windsheild on the bike, but safety is a priority.) The only other add-on I would even consider would be Rune-giant's saddle bags. They are functional, and do not change the height of the tail. There I said it.

-Shawn

G

·
I went for a peek to see

I was in Chicago a couple of weeks ago, knowing that the Honda dealer had one there to see,UGLY it may hold a small bag of chips and a straw,you have to put the pop in the glove box. No room to Rent. Ron

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have seen the Corbin Smuggler and Glove Box several times both at their plant and in Daytona and installed on street bikes. The Smuggler has much more storage when compared to the box.

From my prospective the Smuggler offers the needed storage for day rides and looks awesome when viewed from the rear but the side profile is nothing but ugly. The Corbin site list the red and black Smuggler prices at $2995 adding $400 for the blue. Don't forget that there is a significant amount of labor to be added to the total cost for mounting and wiring the new fender. The total installed number could exceed $3500 US.

To me the Box appearance is just OK and the amount of storage is minimal and the $400 price seems a bit high for the product offered.

The price difference, between the two, of over $3000 installed makes the box a much better comparative value. I do not have either item and have no plans to purchase.

I will consider the Rune-giant design when they become available.

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
if you're talking about the glove box...i paid 250 for both of mine. works great for sherry and me for day use. even have done two overnighters with it....but's it's a 'stretch' for that purpose, i'll admit. for two nights, it wouldn't work.

i even like the looks of it.........for some functionality

·
Registered
42 Posts
Corbin fender

I considered the fender, until I saw the price. Yikes! For me, even the Corbin two-up seat and a set of pegs is too much for too little. So, instead of paying $4500 or so for all the above, I spent less than $3,000 for a 1999 750 Nighthawk (CB750) with a windshield, two-up seating, less than 3000 miles, and a set of soft bags. It's a great second bike to my Rune; gets over 50mpg, virtually no maintenance, very fast, I don't have to wash it every day, and no one wants to steal it. I've put 10K miles on it in the last year, and another 12K on the Rune. Not one problem with either.

Before purchasing any option, I ask: can I get used bike for this? I'd love to have the space and money for 15 or 20 bikes, especially older Metric and British bikes. They're all great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looking at the Corbin Smuggler for my bike and have to say I disagree about it being so ugly. It does indeed change the shape of the rear of the bike, but that's not all bad - there are plenty of negative comments to be heard about the OEM rear fender.

However, can anyone tell me how it installs? Does it mount on top of the original fender, or is it a replacement fender itself?

Also, would it be possible to use soft bags with the Smuggler fitted?

I do agree with everyone though that this is one expensive (overpriced?) piece of kit.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Trunk

I actually like the looks of the Corbin Trunk..Just too pricey and does not appear to have enough room to put anything in it... I understood that it fits on the existing fender...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I saw the Corbin Smuggler in the plant about 2.5 to 3 years ago. As I remember it required that the fender be removed and that the rear lights be removed and reused in the Smuggler. The Smuggler then attached to the frame under the seat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any Smugglers out there care to comment? IOW, anyone actually have one of these fitted? I'd love to hear how you get on with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts