Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Swamp Rat
6,989 Posts
You, me and everyone else who has done the modification have HogSlayer to thank.
While we were all jaw-boning about doing something he did it and taught us what to do.

·
Administrator
6,892 Posts
....and i also have to thank Ken, too. I'm a very cautious Engineer...and i had to hear someone's before i would do it. Ken came all the way over from SC to AL to "show me the way"......

And now....when i hear my bike, a big grin comes over my face. I love seeing the look on folks faces when i fire it up. Now...not only do they drool at the looks of it...they drool at the sound of it too 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
O.K. I've been reading about this mod for months now. , and finally convinced myself to drill but only to 7/8" . I like the sound but dont want it any louder , :D would like to know how much different sound is between 7/8" and 1-1/8" , Is it louder ,deeper tone or both :?: There are about a dozen rune's here in my area, im the only one to have done this ! :twisted: (P.S. my family thinks I've lost my marbles by drilling holes in an 1800.00 :money1: exhaust system.) Just Want Rune to sound as BAD as it LOOKS!.

·
Swamp Rat
6,989 Posts
I drilled a ½ in hole then enlarged it to 1 inch. The result was much better, but not quite what I want. I’m planning on attending the RuneRiders event in September and RedVlak has offered to help enlarge existing holes. I’m going to suck up to Tim and enlarge mine yet again to 1/1/8 inch.

runewizzard said:
(P.S. my family thinks I've lost my marbles by drilling holes in an 1800.00 :money1: exhaust system.) Just Want Rune to sound as BAD as it LOOKS!.
You have a wise family pool.

·
Administrator
6,892 Posts
yes....going from 7/8 to 1 1/8 will make it a bit louder....and deeper/throatier sounding. But it won't be that much louder.

i will say...riding with a half helmet and Windvest shield...as i do, i would NOT want it any louder than 1 1/8 sound on a long ride. I'm very happy with it just as it is.

I rode around with the hole at 1/2 for a day or two....at 7/8 for a week or two...then moved up to 1 1/8. i'm totally happy.

I'll be bringing that step bit to the Rune Rally.................the one that goes to 1 1/8

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hole Size

I am happy with the 7/8" size...I will lisyen to the 1-1/8" at the rally ..If I like it, I may ask Tim for the"bit" to drill mi9ne out a bit more... It may be the location of my hole being just a bit different but I frequently backfire ths monster when it is still cold...At times I can make her backfire at will ...Usually when I squeeze up the throttle and back off immediately...Loading the cylinders up and letting off before it gets a chance to rev off the fuel seems to cause it...Don't care ...love the mod... :pepper1:

·
Administrator
6,892 Posts
mine rarely ever backfires. even running it up in the mountains....where i thought maybe it would....it still runs real good.

Once in a while if i really get on it...then shut the throttle off hard....it may pop once. But that doesn't happen too often. Mine actually pops LESS with the bigger hole...than it did when i had the 7/8 hole. Rich.....might want to think about that?

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Rich
I, NOT being an engineer ( my grandfather was though :!: ) drilled my holes an inch and a half and devised slide closures that enable me to have ANY opening up to the max 1.5" holes I drilled, or I can go back to stock in seconds.
Yes, it does pop on occassions when they are wide open,but it does sound SO good when they are WIDE open.
RIDE ON :!:
Rich K ( Rune Ski )
Thanks again Hog Slayer :!:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Exhaust

When I planned on drilling the exhaust I thought I'd first want to know what was inside there. I simply couldn't find any information on that. So I decided to remove the exhaust and cut it open.

After removing the exhaust, I decided the exhaust was too thick for me to use my cutting and welding skills, or lack thereof. So I took it to a local welding shop. They cut it open for me and I found several baffles and different channels for the exhaust to be directed. At the outlet on each side was a typical round baffle about 3 inches long.

I had all of that removed. Then I had it welded shut.

The sound is exaclty what I was after. A much deeper, more muscle car type sound. On idle or at crusie the volume isn't much greater, but when accelerating it sounds like a beast.

The only problem is that due to the different shapes of each side, the right exhaust is louder than the left. No one else has noticed it, but of course I do.

Next winter I plan to remove the exhaust again and make a single chamber to replace the 2 different sized ones.

Dirk

·
Registered
486 Posts
Like I've said before, if you do this mod and you don't like it all you or a buddy that can weld has to do is patch the holes.
Believe me, I was questioning myself about modifying this high dollar system, but as I put the drill to the metal I kept remindin myself " This is not a irreversible modification". :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think I will remove the 2 different sized chambers and replace them with a single smaller one.

I'm betting this gets the perfect sound and performance.

Dirk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just thought I'd give my 2 cents on the exhaust mod....

I've been reading the threads for months now contemplating whether or not I should do the deed, but this past weekend I took myself to Home Depot and bought myself a vari-bit and took care of business with 1 1/8 inch holes. To be honest, for my taste I could even stand for it to be a bit louder--perhaps on par with Boss Hoss. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Now when I pull into Strokers (Rick Farirless's bar in Dallas) past all the hundreds of Harley spectators my cheesy grin is even bigger than it was before.

Lets face it, the stock sound of this bike simply doesn't fit its bad ass looks. I felt my Rune was like King Kong with a Minnie Mouse voice----the two just didn't go together. Now, everything fit's together as it should....both from a visual and audio perspective.
:D

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Big Mac,
I like the sound ( ROAR ) of mine with the holes at an inch and a half. Now it makes heads turn TWICE, first by the sound and then a double take at the looks :shock:
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
87 Posts
Runeski do you think an additional 3/8 inch to my holes would make that much difference? Have you heard one with 1 1/8" vs. your 1.5" holes? I'm definitely willing to drill more if it would make a noticable difference....

1 - 20 of 254 Posts