Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife did a little research and found out that back in the early 1800's there seem to be a little problem with a Circus Elephant, so the town HUNG the elephant with a train crane, TWICE!! :shock:
So, we might want to be careful in that town!! :lol: Seems there is a museum dedicated to "Mary the Elephant" there in town...maybe a visit is needed...

Also, we plan to run the Tail of the Dragon and Deals gap on Monday and head home on Tuesday if anyone wants to make the run...

Looking forward to seeing you all there.........

Dave

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Dave...i'm amazed. Yes, Mike from the hotel told me that very story. It's a true story. He told it to us over dinner. one night. When you meet Mike from the hotel....he's also leading our ride Saturday (fellow biker, has a Wing)....you're going to love the guy. One of the finest people you're ever going to meet. If you don't like him, then i fear, there's no one on this earth you do like.......

So yes, there's going to be some fine fellowship at this gathering. We may not number in the hundreds....but we have the QUALITY.....

·
Registered
665 Posts
Elephants

Hung the elephant??? ....twice??? :eek:4: Why didn't they just tie her to the tracks and run her over with the train??? I am getting reall excied about this event...Can't wait to meet yall...that's yank for y'all. I'll be coming down I75 from Northern Michigan to Knoxville and then east.. Will be crossing into Ohio Thursday around noon. I was thinking of taking US23 from Flint, Mi all the way down but don't know road conditions...anyone familiar with US23??... I will need to make time but thought maybe getting off I75 might be a different approach... see yall there...

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
if i remember the story right....and we'll ask Mike to tell it to us...i think they wanted to shoot it....or tried to...or something? But they didn't have a big enough caliber gun? Or something like that? Let's ask Mike when we eat dinner saturdday night. Hanging elephants...that should make for some good dinner conversation :wink:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elephant Killing

Yep!! Seems Old Mary got a little wild in the past two towns and killed a man and a lady, and scared a lady in Erwin almost to death. So, the Circus decided to put her down, but could not find a gun big enough..( no this is before Ken's time).. :lol: So the local train yard had a crane and decided to hang Mary, but the cable broke the first time and broke her hips so they had to try again. There is a book out and it is funny reading..even a blind guy came to "See" the hanging...

We are in for a good time...

See you all there..

Dave

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
yep....no telling what might be burried in that town's "Pet Cemmetary" 8) We'll tell stories by the campfire at the Rally :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Elephant Hanging

Dave,
The Town of Erwin does have a history of elephant hanging! Actually, the Town of Kingsport, TN sentenced the elephant to death for the murder of a carnival worker. They did not have the means to carry out the sentence and called on Erwin (a railroad town) to do the deed with a railroad derrick. The rest is history.
An excellent story about the hanging can be found at www.themoonlitroad.com/murdermary/murde ... age001.asp if one is interested in learning more.
The Town of Erwin does not have a museum about Mary, but there has often been talk of establishing one. The major problem is that Mary was buried on the property of the Clinchfield Railroad and no one remembers exactly where she was buried.
We are excited about hosting the frist Rune Riders Rally and look forward to having y'all in our area.

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
From what I’ve been reading about Tennessee, and in particular The Town of Erwin, I think I’ll be bringing my sister Bobby-Jo Billy-Jean!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts