Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long ago a strange issue happened to me. After washing my Rune (with no power washer) I decided to take a short ride. For a first few miles everything was normal... then suddenly my bike seemed to loose power... :?
I've tried to open throttle repeatedly and nothing happened - finally bike stopped. Firstly I thought that I run out of fuel...but the tank was almost full of gas. I noticed that my rear disc brake has changed colour. It was hot as a hell... The rear calliper was completely stucked... I couldn't move bike even on neutral .I opened rear calliper's bleeding valve (wiped off a few drops of brake fuid) and finally I could get back home. After all I was totally shocked... :shock: as You know - I live in Europe. For those who purchased any honda product in USA and imported to any other continent - american honda does not provide factory warranty which in usa comes as a part of the 24,000 - $26,000 deal...... my friend Les from New Jersey who learned from me about this problem called honda customer relationship to direct concern about faulty part . They could not help claiming that motorcycle left us territory and they "feel sorry" but "no solution in this time" . Les purchased new unit , shipped on my expense and gave me advice: to change rear master cylinder. My dealer changed it and have replace brake fluid also. They found some debris in orignal fluid...the original master piston was broken also. I was so irritated that I've spent over $20K $ on this bike. I have never had any problems with my older 1520cc Valk... I don't know if my issue has any connection with the water which "intentionally" I used to clean my bike but when I Read so many posts about big black smoke issue - I thougt it could be me as well ...
So conclusion is - don't wash your runes " because you never know - Honda Corporation will try to avoid their responsibility " :shock:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi Darek.

j have a suggestion. also for all other rune owners.

Reach a church and fire a chandle. J do often as we have on a mountain a nice place dedicated to Virgin Maria protector of sailors from 1700 and recently from beginning of past century of riders.

anyway, j try to ride safe, slow and with a lot of attention to dry my Rune after washing. but.... what when it is raining????

ciao

hannibal

·
Registered
534 Posts
Scary experience ....

Darek,

Thank your God that it didn´t happen to one of your front brakes, I think you then would have had to taste the asphalt ...

Scary experience anyway ... :shock:

- And I think your comments about Honda warranty towards Runes in Europe is concerning ! :oops:

·
Registered
486 Posts
I NEVER wash my 99 Valk or my Rune with water, there are to many places for the water to get into and sit and corrode, and invade the electric/electronic circuits.
I use a no water cleaner, there are lots of them on the market and I have great results from a product called BOM.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here is the best product to wash your bike with:

http://www.protectall.com/qelg.htm

Protect-All Quick and Easy Wash.

No rinsing is required and it really does work well. It's not a gimmick as there are a LOT of auto detailers that use this product.

You basically mix it in water like you would any other wash product, wash your bike with a sponge and then dry the area you just washed.

·
Registered
486 Posts
best product! If you have to use tap water for the application?
ALL water from the tap has minerals in it, minerals are abrasive!
Might be a good product if you use distilled water for the application.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, that would work fine. I've done that once myself. A gallon of distilled water is more than enough.

Here is a nice writeup on a good QEW method. (lots of pics, beware)

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.ph ... adid=32078

(If you follow the directions on the small bottle that tells you to use 2 capfuls for 2 oz., it's wrong. The cap on the smaller bottles is smaller than the one on the larger bottles.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been washing my bikes for years and never had a problem because of it. The owners manual says use a garden hose to wash your bike, period. It does say not to use a pressure washer. I do take a ride after washing most times to blow out any water that may have collected in the little hard to reach areas. If I ever have a problem with my Rune because of just washing it with a hose, you better believe the dealer will handle it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
LAWN BLOWER

For years I have washed my bikes with a hose, never any problems. However, after I rinse my bike I always use my electric or gas lawn blower to blow off the excess water then I wipe with a rag.

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
RuneSpyder

I don’t know who owns that little red car, but I do know he needs to get a life!

I wouldn’t put that much work into cleaning my refrigerator.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Reminds me when my son was 8 and ate a hamburger, shortly afterwards he had an appendicitis attack. It was 20 years till he would eat another Hamburger. This is how I look at the no water thing. I showed cars for some time and most of the waterless cleaners causes a build up taking away the needed shin. I wash my Rune and every other bike I have and never had a problem. I do use my compressed air blower and a leaf blower.

Adrian

·
Jersey Boy
2,806 Posts
I use Jersey dirt to clean all my vehicles. Nothing but Jersey dirt. Why do you think New Jersey tomatos taste so good :roll: .
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
534 Posts
Jersey dirt ?

Runeski,

This time I won't ask :

"Just for the non US resident Board members to get the context right - Is Jersey Dirt a specific make of washing product in the US or a US vehicle washing company ?"

- I wonder what's the best - Jersey Dirt or leaves from Tararunes neighbour?

G

·
To address Honda of America's attitude in Europe, that's not an isolated incident. I have owned many new Hondas and never have gotten a fair deal from them when I have had a problem. Their attitude towards repeat customers and customer service sucks. I bought a new Honda recently and it was filthy when I went to pick it up. The owners manual was full of greasy fingerprints, the air in the tires was 50% below safe pressure. I wrote a two page letter to Honda in Gardena and 2 months later a girl called and said "What do you expect us to do" . Why is it impossible to find a customer service phone number on the web?? :twisted:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Locked brakes

If your brakes locked enough to stop the bike, there is a good chance the rear rotor is warped from the heat. I had a gold wing that did that and toasted the rear rotor. Water had nothing to do with it. Once you applied the brakes, the little fluid return part inside the master cylinder locked, failed or clogged up keeping the brake pressure applied.

I wash the Rune at least once a week. Garden hose.

20,000 miles and no issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts