Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have detailed steps to drill the Rune exhause or is there a web link the describes the steps, pictures help too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Exhaust Drilling

I just got done drilling mine, the sound is better, but not GREAT. Although I may not like it whole lot, the ability to put the knock out plugs in gives me the versatility I want. You drill under the bike on both sides, up into the exhaust, I used a uni-bit(step bit) to get to 7/8 of an inch, which holds the plugs very snug. It also seems that it will cut down on the smoke build up on the wheel and the pipes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
As someone thinking of doing this mod. Can you tell me what you don't like about the sound. As everyone that's done it thus far seems to love it, I'd be interested in you're opinion on why you're not over the moon with it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi all, I'm getting set to take the drill to the muffler but I was wondering how come nobody has started out drilling like a 1/4 inch hole & then try that out for awhile then if you want louder go to a 1/2 inch & so on, if some one has done this please respond & let us know why you went with a larger hole if you did.
Brent

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
well....i started with a half inch hole. I rode it one day...about 20-25 miles. After hearing Ken's before with one inch hole, i knew i wanted a bid deeper and throatier sound...and therefore, would need a bit bigger hole. Then i went to 7/8 hole...so i could use half inch conduit plug to fill it. It sounded QUITE A BIT BETTER...than the half inch hole. But finally, i decided maybe i could even go a bit more. So JUST TODAY...i enlarged with a vari bit from 7/8 to 1 1/8. 3/4 inch conduit plugs just do fit the 1 1/8. Hole. Now it sounds EVEN COOLER....a bit more louder...a bit more deeper/throatier. But i'll admit, i would NOT want it any louder on the road on a long ride. Around town...it is PERFECT. SOunds really cool.

But on a long trip...it might be a bit much. one inch is probably the PERFECT size for sound...for me. But then, i could not have plugged the hole with a conduit plug. So i went to the 1 1/8. i like it...just don't want it any louder.

That said, i'll probably NEVER put those conduit plugs in. it just sounds too cool. ALso, i rode it 85 miles today after drilling...and i noticed with 1 1/8 hole...it is harder to get it to 'pop' if you get on the throttle hard and then back off quickly.....which sometimes makes it 'pop' or slightly backfire after the mod...at certain RPMSs....as i noted here before. WIth 1 1/8 hole, it almost never does that (just to reiterate....this only happens if you grap a fist full of throttle...crank it hard....then slam the throttle shut....and then, only at a certain RPM range...and not every time...so it aint no big deal). 7/8 sounds pretty good. 1 or 1 1/8 better. anything more would be too much on the hiway for me with my windvest and half helmet on.

oh yea, i took it up to 125....couldn't see any difference in performance. and the wife and i swapped off back and forth on her non drilled Rune...just to compare. other than sound, i saw NO .....ZERO difference in performance. Just that hers sounds pretty lame to me now :wink:

She said mine sounded cool riding it...but it is too much sound for her. but then, she doesn't like pipe mods...period. i like having one bike modified...one not modified...to be able to 'actively' compare between them for reference.

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
yes Chuck....1 1/8 inch holes on BOTH sides. i would think you would want holes on both sides....of the same size....

Sounds great....runs great. Cost was pretty low too :lol:

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
Thanks Tim.

I’m having my lawyer prepare documents for filing in Civil Court naming: HogSlayer, RunSki and now you a/k/a RedValk as defendants, in the event I’m not pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Legal actions ...

Chuck,

- Why not - if you're not pleased after drilling - include HONDA in your summons - all in all - they provided to you FOR FREE the forum AT YOUR FREE DISPOSAL WHERE THE TEMPTATION/SEDUCTION OF YOU TOOK PLACE :?: :idea:

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
Those trembling under the threat of a lawsuit may rest easy, tomorrow I’m firing the lawyer.

Today I cut a 1” hole on the easy side and the sound improved remarkably. I was unable to do the left side because I need to put the Rune on a lift and that will be done this week. There is no doubt in my mind this will end up being the sound most of us wanted from the start.

John, This forum is sponsored by Honda Direct Line, http://hondadirectline.com/ . Honda won’t give you the time of day.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Holes, holes, holes

I guess if some like the 1/18" hole for some things and the 7/8" hole for others...they can simply get and extra set of 3/4" conduit plugs and drill a 7/8" hole in the center... The plugs cost pennies...

·
Jersey Boy
2,806 Posts
Chuck,
Send your check or money order for the helpful information to Hog Slayer, RuneSki and Red or we will hire the lawyer you fired :!: :!: :wink: . I'll be waiten'
Rich

·
Registered
15 Posts
Drilling Exhaust - UK No.1!!

Hi all,

Runerod and those who are teetering on the edge of 'going for it' - never fear!! I've done mine to 7/8's and its GREAT!

Definitely not as loud as my old Valkyrie with its Two Bros 6-6's but quite pleasing indeed!!

Once I've a few miles on her, I'll go for the 1 1/8's option but for now this is just right!!

Its a very easy and highly cost-effective job and for you UK owners that are a bit concerned about either doing it - bring your bike to me and I'll do it for you!!

I'll be at the 'BikeSafe' meeting and bikeshow at Cheltenham Racecourse this coming weekend (2nd/3rd April) if you guys want to hear what the Rune SHOULD have sounded like from the factory!

Regards to all,

Seb.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts