Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where I can get a new front tire for my Rune. i have been waiting since May. My shop says they are backordered. new price is $100 more than past price and now same a rear.
While waiting I bought a DCT Tour and love it,
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

while Rune and 03 Wing sit.

Anybody have tire they want to sell?

Once installed I plan to sell bike.

Thanks

·
Administrator
6,993 Posts
there's another discussion on the General Forum about D251 availability. Apparently, they are pretty much impossible to find right now? I'd check out that post on the general Forum....it's a post about an accident....right up near the top of posts.

Good luck on your search...........

That bike looks like maybe it was 3putt's old bike? His name was Bill Foresman and he lived in FL and sold it some time back. That paint job is pretty unique. It's either his old bike, or the paint job is EXACTLY the same ....which I'd kind of doubt? Just wondering............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there's another discussion on the General Forum about D251 availability. Apparently, they are pretty much impossible to find right now? I'd check out that post on the general Forum....it's a post about an accident....right up near the top of posts.

Good luck on your search...........

That bike looks like maybe it was 3putt's old bike? His name was Bill Foresman and he lived in FL and sold it some time back. That paint job is pretty unique. It's either his old bike, or the paint job is EXACTLY the same ....which I'd kind of doubt? Just wondering............
I purchased it from him in 5/20
, Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
DarkElfLusipher, post: 265736

Results are in....Drum-Roll...

Dunlop Direct : No longer in regular production.

STG : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $264
Cyclegear : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $299
Revzilla : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $299
Midwest Traction : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $300
Chaparral Moto : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $304
J&P Cycles : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $305
Powersports Choice : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $357
Tires Online : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $387
American Moto Tire : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $395
Lion Parts : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $423
V-Twin Parts : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $455
eBay : Sold Out - No Restock Known @ $455

Amazon : Shinko REAR Tire 150/60R18 $123
Vivid Racing : Shows Available $454

·
Registered
47 Posts
DarkElfLusipher, post: 265749

There is so much BS out there for any tire searches but it feels like it is even worse for this one because of its extremely unconventional size. There is nothing else really that has this size requirement and hence 99% of companies just will not produce it, including Dunlop at this point.

All that being said... Shinko Tires produces a tire that is EXACTLY the same size tire and meets all the requirements for a proper fitment in comparison to the Dunlop. You can also find it for an average price of around $125 (free shipping) from almost EVERYWHERE and it has very good rating by people who are running this on heavy cruisers and touring style bikes.

I'm attaching the information for comparison and future reference, feel free to copy/paste it elsewhere as anyone feels necessary.

This came after the last round of heavy searching, both to hopefully find a good alternative and also to prove my sanity in all of this, and when I stumbled upon it I was skeptical to say the least. However after going over everything with a fine-tooth comb I absolutely feel that this will be the best (and probably only!) replacement for the now extinct Dunlop for our Runes.

I have it on order, along with a few other tires that we already put on order as hail-marys, and we will be checking everything out together once we have everything in hand. Right now I am far more optimistic about getting this resolved having found this tire and I will absolutely keep you all posted on the results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry for duplicating posts here, I just figured I'd make it easier. The Shinko is a rear tire that would be front mounted but the size is correct and the dimensions look fine. I'll know personally here in a few days once we get the tire delivered and verify everything. I'll stop back around then and give you an update as well.

Of note the Rune is, and always has been, an odd but amazing creation that we are lucky to have ever seen actually brought into existence. With that they chose very unconventional and outside the box alternatives when designing and building this machine which led to us having a specialized front tire in a size that is pretty much non-existent and sizes close to it are all rear mounted tires. Also of note is that the Rune is running a Radial tire and not a Biased tire, as we do not have spoked tires and the likes that require them, which makes running a rear tire up front not only possible but far more acceptable.

For that logic I'll drop a few links here just to cover those ins and outs that will hopefully help in understanding and making decisions for how anyone wants to proceed if they find themselves here as well.

Dunlop Tires on Bias vs Radial

Cyclenews Bias vs Radial

I hope this all helps!

·
Registered
835 Posts
The Shinko is a rear tire that would be front mounted but the size is correct and the dimensions look fine.
I don't have a pony in this race as I have a differing opinion driving my choice of tires.

You've spent significant time on this effort and I applaud good research that comes back to serve our community.
So I'm curious if you have contacted Shinko for their opinion, knowledge and recommendation regarding putting their rear tire on the front of a Rune, or other large bike, and in what direction of travel it should be mounted...

skip

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello Skip. date code is 3517. I spoke with Dunlop, they said they're good for 10 years. I know there's much discussion on this. no interest in opening a new can of worms, just passing on the info.

Dunlop said D251 is such a low volume tire they only do a run once a year (on average i guess) but they're not planning to do any in 2022. Maybe next year? about 300 on backorder, but they said they have other tires with 10K of backorders so clearly D251 isn't a priority. Sad that this is literally the only front tire spec'd for the rune.

it's a tough one. I just bought a rune with 2193 miles on it, original owner, original tires. I haven't even gotten my DMV appointment to get plates yet. i had called revzilla about tires and was told delivery in July, so i bought the bike. I hunted for two weeks to try to find tires. Found 2 front (mine and this one). The rear i have is also a 2017, so if anyones knows of a newer one around let me me know.

Like Darkelf i've called a LOT of places. dealers showing a waitlist delivering this year (or in reality any estimate) is inaccurate.

I sure hope i like the Rune!! Huggy

·
Administrator
6,993 Posts
If my Honda shop would mount it, I'd buy it . They only mount tires they sell. They claim insurance reasons.....but of course, I think that's kind of BS. But that's the "game" and "rules" I have to live by since I don't mount my own. Other shops in town said they wouldn't touch a Rune.....and I probably wouldn't want them touching mine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
crazy they won't mount it unless they sell it, especially under the circumstances - they cannot get them. My local shop want's $440 to mount tires when i bring them the tires (less 10% because I'm retired military). it would be about $150 less if i bought from them, so i guess they circumvent the "insurance reasons" by charging me extra bucks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone, A new sucker born every minute. Thats how I feel. I bought a Rune, and now found out its garage jewellery cause of a front tire that cant be found. I will probably bite the bullet and spend 1000 on a tire from japan.
I would definitely do a shinko but cant due to the need of getting this bike deemed fit for road. This sucks.... and Itotally regret my purchase. This is my dream bike become a nightmare......maybe I sdhoulda bought a harley.
At least I still have my trusty Suzuki.

·
Registered
7 Posts
just
Hey everyone, A new sucker born every minute. Thats how I feel. I bought a Rune, and now found out its garage jewellery cause of a front tire that cant be found. I will probably bite the bullet and spend 1000 on a tire from japan.
I would definitely do a shinko but cant due to the need of getting this bike deemed fit for road. This sucks.... and Itotally regret my purchase. This is my dream bike become a nightmare......maybe I sdhoulda bought a harley.
At least I still have my trusty Suzuki.
just wanted to add that I looked at my bike and theres a 130\70 R18 on my bike right now made by Avon. There seems to be plenty of them out there. its a tad smaller but....

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
A 140/70-18 Bridgestone Battlax BT46 or BT54 both fit nicely too, but that knowledge would have required you to do a bit more research on this site before unloading on us dedicated Rune owners with your Rune bashing BS. Please feel free to sell your quality Rune to someone more deserving of owning it and then go enjoy a HD and talk BS on their forums.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts