Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer having trouble after installing new ECU to get keys to match I am picking the bike up in a couple of days to work on it myself I have the harness and the instructions from 10 years ago when I bought the bike and added an extra key is there still a link out there to be sure my instructions are up to date I bought the bike used so I did not get the coffee table book with the CDs so I'm also looking for a manual or coffee table book with CDs

·
Registered
19 Posts
" I didn't read where the keys were new ones? Maybe that's the dealer's problem?

A NEW ECU requires NEW KEYS

Harness is not used/listed in steps for new ecu with new keys, see picture of steps below from S/M pg 21-6
Font Publication Paper Book Paper product

Harness or special tool is used/listed for steps under -Key Registration Procedures-When the key has been lost, or additional spare key is required S/M pg 21-4).

The two are different steps/procedures"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes new keys with new ECU not sure how dealer tried to pair them that's something I'm going to have to find out when I pick the bike up . what is different with the process of new keys and new ECU and no need for the harness ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
"The new ecu comes in a standby mode, once the two new keys are paired/registered with the new ecu by way of the ignition switch the ecu will move to the normal mode. The process for this doesn't require the use of the harness/special tool.

When adding a spare/additional key for whatever reason you tap into the ignition pulse generator connection located under the left chrome injector cover up next to the frame. This process requires the use of the harness/special tool so you can make that connection or tap into that connection and apply 12v power.

The dealership should be getting a code if the new keys won't pair/register to the new ecu. Keys/chip in key head get damaged somehow? The connections aren't full seated into new ecu or a bend/miss aligned pin.

Sad a dealership can't do a new ecu/new key swap/install.

Curious as to just what the problem is/was when it's all done."

·
Registered
19 Posts
"see S/M pg 19-6 starter removal instructions, can refer to pg 19-13 & 1-36 for other pics.
Prior to going after the ecu, have you tried anything? to see why keys don't pair/match?

It's been a lot of years since I needed to access the ecu, so others with more recent experience will have more insight, the above is a start point till others chime in."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts