Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sure would, not because I was the first because I've ran the bike with the mod for over 4000 miles now and NO ill effects and it sounds so much better than before and the price is right! :D

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
most definitely. I was NOT one of the first ones. Instead, i waited until the brave ones...like HS....did it and ran it a while. then i heard Ken's, and i knew i HAD to do it. Now, i have about 1000 miles....with no problems. And the sound is just TOO COOL. And the price is right too :lol:

YES, i would do it again. No regrets.....

one thing i will comment on though, surprisingly, i have been comparing my wifes un drilled Rune to my drilled one....and so far....i can tell NO DIFFERENCE in the amount of residue on the exhuast after we ride. So the talk of less exhaust residue....at least for me....isn't true. it's nice to have a couple of Runes....and leave one of them stock....to compare accurately :wink:

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
I’m half done with my drilling; I could only reach one side.

For me it wasn’t so cheap! I had to buy a lift adaptor $100.00, a lift $150.00 and a bit for $13.00. As soon as my lift arrives I’ll finish the job.
Would I go through this again? Based on the half ass job I’ve got so far, most assuredly yes! :pepper1:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guy's, so Redvalk you say after drilling the holes you see no difference in the soot that collects on the end of the muffler. Is that the same with the driveshaft cover as well as the rear wheele? I find this interesting cuz almost everyone that claimed to have drilled into the exhaust states the the soot after 100 miles or even more is gone & some state that there is so little that its hardly there at all. If this is the case do you think that where you drilled your holes are the cause? I would be very interested to see how many others that have drilled into the mufflers & still say that there is very little soot if any after a 100 miles or so. How about it guy's. So did the exhaust mod reduce the soot? Let me know thanks.
Brent

·
Registered
486 Posts
Rune018, it reduced the soot on mine, DRILL YOUR HOLES ALREADY! :D

Sitedata, I didn't need a lift to drill mine, Had a buddy hold the bike while I drilled the kickstand side. I have a lift but didn't need it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi H.S, thanks for the reply it made us all laugh when we read your response,oh my gosh what will we talk about after I have drilled those dam holes I'm sure we will come up with something. I did have my woman sit on the Rune & yes I could drill the kickstand side with someone holding up the bike, but the lift adapter will be here on Monday so I guess I will hold off til atleast then. I'm doing a run this Sunday & was going to take the Harley but perhaps I will take the Rune on it's last voyage prior to letting the dragon loose. Do you think that the RedValks holes are so big the the 80% of his exhaust is coming out the drilled holes and making its way back to the muffler again haahaa. But atleast it will sound like it looks. It will be just a few days then I to will be amoung the brave Rune Riders willing to throw caution to the wind at let the beast out of it's cage.

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
well...at first i thought there was MAYBE less soot. But then...when i compared to Sherry's RUne.....which is still stock....i could see NO difference. If there is a difference, it isn't much.

My guess....and this is a GUESS (but i am an Engineer...and i get paid to do analysis and troubleshooting EVERY day...and paid well, i might add 8) )....my guess....is that as best these folks remember.....there is less soot.

But...i have the 'scientific' advantage of having two Runes....one with...and one without the mod...to make EXACT comparisons side-by-side. And i'm just telling you, in my case....it hasn't made too much difference yet. I say yet, because i wash my bikes ANY TIME they get dirty. And...i don't go on many long rides. So...mine....may only go 100-150...to 200 miles AT THE MOST...before they get washed. so, in that small amount of miles, there isn't much if any difference.

perhaps if i went on a longer ride...or let them get dirty for more miles...maybe there would be a difference? But i can't stand to let them get dirty....and i do all my longer rides on my Valk.

I know there is very little exhaust coming out of the back of the pipe on mine. Most of the exhaust is coming out of the 1 1/8 holes! Oh yea, i also noticed that when Ken was here....his exhaust soot was much heavier than mine...and browner. but then...again...that could be because Ken REALLY rides his bike a lot.....he may have had quite a few miles on it when i saw it? Mine NEVER go more than 300-400 miles TOPS....before they are washed. Usually more like 150-200 miles before they get washed. They get waxed AT LEAST every other month...if not every month. both of them look like they just came off the show room floor...if not BETTER.

let me add this too. I think BOTH my RUnes have less soot than they did when i first got them. Maybe they are BOTH running leaner???? One has the mod...one doesn't. One has had the dreaded BBS...and had the throttle bodies/TPS replaced...the other hasn't. Yet BOTH seem to have less soot ....than i remember them having about a year ago????

But.....that said....still, GO DRILL THOSE DANG EXHAUSTS!!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey RedValk, thanks for the reply I always enjoy reading your coments & your wisdom is unsurpassed,oh & yes I will be drilling very soon,once the lift is here, so will be the holes,excuse me those dam holes. Thanks again.
Brent

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
My lift arrived this afternoon and this evening I put it together.
I have two identical pieces left over; I assume one for each side.
They are large, round, have a handle at one end with threads on the other.

Probably not important.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I would drill without hesitation. WEll, hesitate long enough to make sure the hole on the left side doesnt soot up the kickstand.

No difference in performance noted.

Less soot. Definitely. I rode from SC to VA and back (850 miles) on clean exhaust, and just a slight tinge of brown.

I got my Big Blue bike lift put together yesterday. I got the Yamaha lifted 4 feet off the ground. Wow, that would have been easier for drilling !

The Honda place in NC screwed up my rear wheel. Dings and gouges in it.

But, now, I will be able to pull my own wheels off my own self.

Tim, so, should I expand the size of the holes from 1" to bigger?

Ken (27,500 miles)

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
This afternoon I hoisted the Rune on my new lift and drilled the second 1 inch hole on the left side.
Much to my delight nothing big and black fell on me and the resulting sound is all I had hoped for.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey SiteData, congrats on the surgery It sounds like all went well,you will have to give us your opinion on the hole soot thing & the over all running of the bike once you have had a chance to ride the beast. I will be doing my probably on Tuesday. Hey did you take any pics of where you drilled the holes? and do you now have a two tone kickstand like Ken? or were you able to avoid that. Let us know.
Brent

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Ken...i like the sound with 1 1/8 better than i did my 1/2 or 7/8 holes before. But...i don't think i would want to go any bigger than 1 1/8. Any louder on the road over long rides would be too much....i think? 1 1/8 seems to be perfect for me!

Ken....what happened on the rear wheel? They dinged it up while changing tires? Hope my dealer doesn't do that to mine. Sherry's is in the shop right now for front tire (just under 8k on the original)....and my rear will need replacing soon (about 11k on it). Hope they don't mess up anything on either bike....no dings on rims...no scratches...etc.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
He did not remove the left exhaust cover. So he banged the wheel against the swing arm a bunch of times.

I will be riding up to North Carolina on Saturday (4.5 hr ride according to Mapquest from Saint George SC to Rocly Mount NC) so the head mgr can look at it. "It's dead Jim." It looks like crap.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Soot

I've run about 140 miles since my drill out... the bike does sound good... especially when you run up the gears...does have a deep throated roar...Imagine that ...my girl with a deep throat......ed roar :clap2:. I was surprised to see soot on my pipes. I think it is less than before but still enough that I needed to wipe it off... it was on the swing arm cover too... Maybe the location of the hole has something to do with it... my swing arm side hole is directly across from the crossover pipe near the rear. left side in the same location as the pics on this thread... took Ken's advise and avoided the kickstand. I drilled my holes with the bike parked on the kickstand and a right angle drill. Needed no help...altho I need to ream out the right side a bit ... Man I think I am really running rich... will cold weather affect gas mileage or once the bike warms does cold temp mean nothing? My last fillup was 34mpg. I rode 100 miles last night in 45 degree temps.... guess I'll find out my mileage for that when I fill up tomorrow. :shock:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yes. The Rune runs richest in cold weather. Your economy will get better in hot weather.. then you just get to hear the fans cycling at stoplights.
I just finished my 2nd winter. yep. richer, less mileage.
Ken (27,900)

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm not a combustion engine engineer, but I think they could have done a better job with ECU/MAPI curve on this engine, but as us old carb people say "better to rich than to lean" but this bike is very close to what I consider "Way to Rich!"

·
Registered
665 Posts
Rich Runner

Whew!!! glad to hear the richer running may be temp related... Hopefully things will improve when the weather warms up.... Thanks for the feedback...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts