Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's, OK here's the update I promised. I started out with a 1/2 inch hole in each muffler as you know & YES there was a reduction in exhaust soot as I suspected there would be. I rode the bike on Saturday & put 105 miles on it & the exhaust soot was on a percent basis perhaps 5% as apposed to stock after a 100 mile run and the discoloration & soot would be very obivious however as I said with 1/2 holes not much at all infact I would say there was a slight I mean slight discoloration & really no soot. The sound was as I said before in another post i would say approx 10 to 20% louder but really not much different than stock. So after that ride and later that evening it was time to go to 7/8's inch on each side. It was a slight pain trying to make a perfect hole with what I felt were great tools this is really more about the kickstand side than the other. The orther came out fine & I found where I placed the hole on the kickstand side I ran along side the inner pipe which caused a little kickback on the drill the end result was almost a perfect hole but not. So to make a long story short I rode the bike with 7/8 inch hole & I 'm glad I did the deed. The sound is perfect for me and I really like the sound as you are decelerating as the RPMs are comming down that gurgle effect is just awesome & the guy's & gals I ride with said that it sounded like a smallblock chevy with mild glasspacks. Its just loud enough to enjoy and not even loud enough to be a pain on a long ride. The soot issue was about the same as the 1/2 inch hole,maybe a hair less, but the big plus for me is if I don't have time to clean the soot off the next time I ride the bike it will still look like I cleaned it,that plus the really cool sound that it has now made it all worth it,& to respond to an earlier post that I posted a week or so ago,YES I would do it again in a heartbeat I LIKE IT.
Brent

·
Registered
486 Posts
See man, I knew you'd like it, I love that deacceleration gurgle too!
We don't need no stinking expensive aftermarket exhaust! :twisted:

·
Registered
32 Posts
The deceleration "gurgling" sounds awesome. But I was wondering if you or any of the others who drilled are getting some occasional backfire or "popping" from the exhaust during hard deceleration? Thanks

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
yes...i was the first one to report that. I told you guys....if i deliberately got on it hard at certain rpm...then backed back off hard....i could get it to backfire some...though not every time. It only happens if i REALLY get on it...at a low to mid range rpm....then ...after getting on it hard...slamming the throttle shut. At certain rpm...it will pop or backfire about every other time if i do that.

now....that said, i don't normally do that while riding...so it rarely ever happens while riding. and never if JUST decelerating/downshifting thru the gears normally. My last real test is this weekend up on Cheaha. It will be interesting to see how it performs...and if it backfires any...while riding up and down the mountain.

But for every day riding...it almost never pops or backfires. Even when i get it to do it...trying...it isn't very loud...just a little pop.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Backfire

Mine will backfire at a fairly low compression and without letting off quickly from a high rev... compared to Tim's.. I can be slowing down and gurgling in second gear with little compression and suddenly get the backfire. This has been in cooler weather (up here in da UP..eh!) so I am running richer than most...which is what I attribute this to...

·
Registered
80 Posts
backfire

Have had mine drilled for about 500 miles and it usually only backfires when I first start to ride & the bike is cold ... but not all the time. It is on acceleration in 2nd gear (I think) but i'm kinda busy at that point - going somewhere and it could be 3rd and I'm not keeping track. But - it is "occasional". :)

8)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Does anyone have a TACH installed who has drilled out their exhaust? I am wondering if the idle speed is higher. Tim, you could tell by idling both your Runes at the same time.

I am thinking about buying the test harness that lets you read the voltages for troubleshooting. The TBS problem should have made the red malfunction light blink 8 times. Then, with the harness, you can actually measure the voltage of the TPS. It goes between 0.4 volts for idle, and about 4.5 volts for wide open throttle. I suspect the variable resistor goes bad.

Ken (29,250 miles)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts