Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you guys are “Nutsâ€�.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Jersey Boy
2,806 Posts
Chuck,
Did you have the slide closure installed. If not I will strap my welding machine to my Wing and shoot down to your home and do you to the good :!:
Rich K ( Rune Ski )
P.S I put my 2 cents into the Pole :wink:

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich

I still have them, and again thank you, but I’ve not attempted to install them because I like the sound and wouldn’t want to close off the hole.

I like the one guy, so far, that thinks we’re ‘Nuts”; I’ll bet he’s not alone.
I gave it a long hard thought process before I butchered the system.

Thanks for your 2 cents, what do you want………..change?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Let's hear from the person who voted "No, I think you guys are Nuts! "
Tell us why you think we're nuts, don't be shy, speak your mind.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Love the mod....

love it now when I start her up and people say, " Man!! that sounds like it would eat things..!!" And I simple say, Yes, more other bikes and small children in the road...HA!!

Would do it again.........

Dave

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have heard the exhaust mods made by Tim on his Rune.

I must admit here that I issued the only negative vote in the pole to date. I also think that the Harley and/or the other bike owners that gut their exhausts are a little touched with insanity. Why is it that some bikers think that a loud noisy exhaust system is a required necessity for all bikes. I know some justify it as a means to achieve more horsepower but in most cases changing the exhaust without other modifications does not accomplish that goal. :?

I must also admit that I conformed to the likes of some of my peers and I have changed the exhaust on my Wing to Alley Cats. The salesman told me to expect a soft mellow "Porsche" sound. And while I like the louder than stock sound at idle, I do not care for the loud low frequency noise that is generated while cruising. It makes listening to the great sound systems (XM , FM, AM and weather radios, MP3 player and cell phone) that are wired to my headset difficult. I plan to change back to stock when I find the time.

I wonder how many of the one's that have made the mods and are voting in a positive way are doing so as to justify their actions and don't have the courage to admit that they would rather have the stock sound back? Also we have only heard from a very few who have not made the mods in the pole and threads posted here. Maybe they are intimidated by the threat of being flamed here as I probability should be.

However my "biker's" position has always been that each individual should be allowed to modify his bike according to his likes and dislikes but should respect others.

Ken, I did check my pillow and yes the tags are still there. Only someone with a lot of time on his hands would take the time to remove such items. :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exhaust Mod

I did it yesterday (SUNDAY) and its better for sure but I still liked my six in six exhaust I had on my 97 Valkerie. The nice thing is you can go back if you want with this mod.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Right on RuneMan ! To each their own. I think what a lot of bikers want is a sound that matches the hotrod look of their bike. A GW doesn't look like a hotrod at all, if I ever buy a wing I'll be leaving the exhaust stock.
The Rune on the other hand has a hotrod look from front to rear, yet the stock exhaust made it sound like a wing. When I did this mod I only bored
3/4" holes, nice idle rumble, good hotrod sound while going up thru the gears, but when at crusin speed I can barely hear it. I liked this mod idea better than putting on aftermarket pipe that totally change the looks of the bike, plus this mod is easily reversed and cost me $12 vs. $1k.
I do have to disagree with you about the members voting in a positive manner on this poll because they feel like they have to say that now that they've done the mod. It's VERY easy to reverse this mod if a person didn't like it, a decent welder could patch it in 5 minutes. I get a feel from the membership that we're a bunch of unique against-the-grain individuals, like our good friend from SC, Ken, if he didn't like it he'd change it back to stock, as I would have.
I appreciate you steppin up with you thoughts, again another unique member!

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had no idea who the guy was that said we were “Nuts”, but I said I liked him.

I STILL DO.

This modification is not for everyone, and doesn’t have to be.
The only rule we should have is that everyone that doesn’t have a Black Rune must paint theirs accordingly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don,t think anybody is nuts but to each his own. I do believe there will be a day when these bike,s will be solid gold and the value will depend on original perfection. I have allways said the Rune is not a primary driver. My VTXs both have pipes and I have a Valkyrie with Cobra drag pipes 'sweet' My Runes will stay stock except the Memphis shade windscreen. And they never ever get dirty as I said to each his own.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rune Man

I agree with you. I kind of got a little flame from others when I mentioned Motorola's Bluetooth hands free phone kit. As a result, I took the path of least resistance, and backed off, as everyone’s opinion counts. I feel the need for communication on the road, mostly because I have a wife and two young children. God forbid anything happen, I don't want to be the last to know. All too many times I have gone riding at 8am, and did not return until 5 or 6 hours later or more. That is a long time for a life threatening situation or even a minor one to exist with one of my love ones and me not know about it. It is for this reason I stay connected and reachable at all times.

Anyway back to the pipe drilling. I will be, or actually Runski will be drilling my exhaust early Sunday Morning. I heard his last week, and did like the sound, however what I liked more..... was the ability to tune it on or off. If I could not have this flexibility, the decisison would be a bit more difficult, as I agree that if you enjoy listening to music or need to take an important call, or just enjoy the wind without the roar, the Pipe could be a nuisance. Don't get me wrong fellas, I love the sound of a roaring pipe, and all of my bikes have had aftermarket exhausts installed on them. However there are those days when I just want to ride, without all the drama. That is why I bought a Rune. It says everything so I don't have to.

I am also a believer that loud pipes save lives. So on the flip side, I would much rather people hear me coming rather then depend on there roaming eyes (dialing those tiny digits) to see me. This would be the primary reason I would go with the mod, if I did not have the ability to turn it on and off.

Right now, I am doing if for cosmetic and vanity reasons. I enjoy making peoples jaws drop with this Bike. And when I pull into a biker event, you best believe I will pull over a mile before I get there, and open the MOD up full to let everyone know that " The RUNE HAS ARRIVED" :1st:

see you sunday Runski.... :pepper1:
Peace to all, and ride safe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
tunable sound

Runeski,

Was it you who devised a way to have a slider to tune the size of the opening? What scheme did you come up with? I've been thinking about doing something similar but haven't worked out the details yet. Any advice is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
665 Posts
Each His/Her Own

Personally I think EVERYONE on this board is NUTS :a13: ...that's why I feel so comfortable here... :22yikes: we can yank each others chains ...yip at each other ...and in the end we all have a big smile for each other cuz we all know the feeling of jumping on this lady and riding her (or him as the case may be).... By the way...I don't think the stock Rune sounds ANYTHING like a Goldwing....Even stock the Rune has a very unique and throaty roar... I like the sound stock ...I like it drilled...heck ..I would probably even like the Rivco sound.... I just love this bike... :eat1:

I have a couple ideas for Ultimate (or whoever) if they show at the rally....one for a wind deflector (small and chrome and including the extra gauging I want... and I do wish Corbin would be there or someone who can modify my rumble seat to have a better ass shape for my passenger and also a rear bag/ seatpad/saddlebag combination unit that locks on over the backreast... :chatter: Not asking for much... :bow1:

·
Jersey Boy
2,806 Posts
Foxy One,
Yes is was I. I made 2 channels and 1 slider from 16 gauge S/S. I will ask Andre to post some pictures once I do his on Sunday.
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
to respond to Runeman....i did the mod....and i voted that i love it.....BECAUSE I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sherry's bike is still stock...cause she wants hers that way. I used to like to ride hers. I used to switch back and forth between our two Runes when she wasn't riding hers....riding the black one on one day....riding the red one on another day.

Now....STRICTLY BECAUSE HERS DOESN'T HAVE THE MOD....i don't like riding hers any more. Hers sounds so......sorry, no other way to put this.....weak and lame...compared to mine. So i ONLY ride mine now.

It just sounds SOO MUCH COOLER. I love it. Period. I don't care what anyone else thinks or wants. If folks don't want to modify theirs...that's cool. That's their option. Me, i'm SOOOOOO glad i did mine. I wouldn't have it any other way.

now what i REALLY want to know....is who is the ONE vote that said they did it....and the DO NOT LIKE IT????? Give us some more info. Like why you don't like it. and who are you?

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By all means tell us why you, “Did it and sorry”.

There are 8 who voted “Nuts” and 14Thinking about it”; those 14 would really like to have your thoughts.

This poll will self-destruct on July 23rd, I only put it on for two weeks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Runski and I were rained out today. (Sorry, the Rune has not and will not touch rain.) We are rescheduling for Tuesday eve... Keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts