Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been e-mailing as many companies I could think of that make fuel injection management systems to see if I could get someone to make one for the Rune.
As you know this would allow us to fine tune our bikes; get optimum power thought the rev range, increase mpg , play with things like the exhaust without upsetting the fuel mixture, carry out engine modifications etc etc.

Guys we need these units made.

I was getting fed up with getting nothing but negative replies, until I contacted Techlusion. The guy who set up Techlusion was the original brains behind Dynatek/Powercommander, They're a major player in EFI and really know their stuff. AND they're happy to make a unit for the Rune. They make well priced inexpensive units too
So they want a volunteer to test a their EFI unit on a Rune for fine tuning.
The payoff is that the lucky volunteer gets to have a unit for free. See below for details:-
Let's get these units made, so somebody please step up to the plate. They obviously need someone with a little mechanical acumen (or access to it) to fit the unit and someone willing to discuss how well the unit is working with the engineers. Any takers?

Here's my latest reply from dynatek

....."we only need someone in the U.S, preferably the north west, to test with. When possible we will build a
test unit and send it to the customer for no charge with pretense of taking "too" many pics of the install and working with us over the phone until good results are seen. I'm confident that we can make something work but the circuitry to test with is not quite finished. I'm hoping that we can have something to test with by the summer. If you would like to get hold of someone to test with, that would be great. Then we'll have something I can ship and start testing quickly.

Thanks for your time and patience and have a great day".

George Levings
Sales/Tech Support Manager
Dobeck Performance
401 Jackrabbit Ln.
Belgrade, MT 59714
877-764-3337
www.dobeckperformance.com

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey Runerod I called wasn't able to get through but left a message.
It would be great to be able to fine tune our runes.
I'm not in MT but I am a technician and have all the tools and knowledge to work with them.
I'll let you know if I talk to them.

Todd

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks madroober, I've e-mailed George Levings at Teclusion and told him someone would be making contact with him as a volunteer. I reckon I'll hand all dealings over to you now if your happy with that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Horse power control

hi,
If that unit can be used to modify the HP output of the engine, sorry , but I mena downg-rading performance, I am VERY intertsted.

keep us/me posted

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Jacques I was going to talk to you about this unit. You can downgrade the power output of the engine by pressing the buttons on the unit to make the fuel mix too rich. The richer you make it the sicker the engine will run = less HP. There is a limit to this, in that making the fuel mix way too rich and the bike will eventually have trouble starting and running whilst at those settings
If the guy doing the government dyno test is using a fuel sniffer up the exhaust pipe he'll know that the fuel mix is wrong. So you may or may not be able to use this method. The proper fuel mix can be reset by you in a matter of seconds after the test.
You'll probably need some dyno time prior to your test to find the settings you want to use, both good and bad.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Runerod said:
Thanks madroober, I've e-mailed George Levings at Teclusion and told him someone would be making contact with him as a volunteer. I reckon I'll hand all dealings over to you now if your happy with that.
Hey Runerod I'll try calling him again this week.
I am interested in working with him if He has a unit to test.
I'll let you know what he says.

Todd

G

·
hope this comes about. Can make a big difference in performance. I have used power commanders on prev. bikes, but guess Dyno Jet doesn't want to make one for a limited addition bike.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I love my DynoJet on my Yamaha 1100 V-Star. It helped me get an extra $250 added to my speeding ticket.

If you need a Southernboy on the South East Coast to test a unit at SEA LEVEL, then I am your man!

Ken (26,800 miles yes... i too Loo0oooooooooooove my Rune)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rune EFI Unit

I read with interest requests to downgrade Rune bhp...very worrying as richening the mixture to this extent can really cause problems in boxer motors - not something I'd recommend..there are easier routes to restriction!!

As regards EFI modifications:

I have a huge amount of experience with TFI units (on X-11's, XX's and VFR's) and really rate them above Power Commanders for reliability and ease of set-up. I can only comment on the UK - so you US guys, please don't get offended by this, as our climates are quite different!

Whilst there are no buttons to press, the adjustments are made using an electrical screwdriver to adjust the low, medium, high and acceleration dials..

I already have a set up on my Rune and am waiting for the time to give it a few pulls on the dyno. I have modified an existing TFI and am expecting a general improvement in the smoothness and a bit of a hike in the mid range and top-end - probably around 5-8 bhp will be achieveable without any real trouble in our climate.

I'll post the results and report back when I get the chance.

Seb.

·
Registered
347 Posts
TFI tuning...

I am not sure I really understand how you proceed for the tuning; is it on the Rune original equipment itself ? is it on an external component?
Do you believe this could be used to lower the HP without problem ?
Any more detailed process would really help me to understand if I could benefit from your experience. Soon I will have to mange this HP issue...
regards

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NRX1800 don't forget my suggestion was to richen the mixture for the duration of the dyno test only, one or two pulls, just to give a few less HP and then back to normal after. I can't see any problem with this at all.
It was an answer to a theoretical question. Anyhow any tester using a sniffer would know the mixture was wrong. But Jacques is desperate to lose a few horses for French homologation and like I said theoretically he could do so by playing with the mixture for the test (within limits).
With no-one else producing units to change ECU settings eg rev limit, adv/ret'd I can't think of many options and he's short on choices at the moment. Unless you've have a cunning plan :wink:

BTW NRX1800 did you know of Dannyhydes (board member) K & N Filter +adaptor for the Rune. I bought one, but I've been waiting for a Rune EFI module to come out before I fit it, to get the best from it. Danny claimed an increase in HP on the dyno after fitting that alone.

Can you keep us informed on the info you recieve from your dyno test eg A/F ratios etc etc.

General BTW 2. Whatever happened to Dannyhyde (Vitki'04)???

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yer I suggested that one already to Jacques. I believe Jacques said they are wise to that one :?
That's why I don't think Jacque would actually get away with the rich mixture in practice. It's easy to spot.

·
Registered
347 Posts
not stupid....

Yes, simple trick will not work. They have 11 levels regarding HP limitation feature. This why Honda France had to come up with a specific ECM for the French GW1800 ( does not work on Rune)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Runerod - I understand about the richening being just for the test but a CO meter will detect that and put emissions WAY over acceptable limits - ensuring failure of UK SVA or whatever French ministry tests operate.

I can restrict a Rune without any problem - I do not, however, have the time to enter into significant work for Jacques - I mean even logistically - where is the bike, how will it get to me, how will it be tested in France, who will do the work in France if I don't do it in the UK and so on??

Speaking in complete honesty - Far too many problems for no reward and the prospect of lots of grief!!

It would be helpful if 'hispy' tells us just how the French ministry test the bikes to prove bhp outputs...

I'll keep you all abreast of developments as they occur regarding the TFI set-up.

Realistically, it'll be a few weeks until I get the chance to do anything (at least).

Rev limit will not be affected (hydraulic valves should not really have a higher rev-band set) - adv/retard curves are not affected as Honda have pre-set 3D curves within the ECU and I wouldn't mess with these!

I personally wouldn't fit a K&N to any current PGMFI Honda as they run very lean anyway - sure you will get some gains through increased airflow but new type ECU's are NOT self-learning - if they were, no-one would produce TFI/PCIII kits!! - current bikes can only adapt to barometric and temperature changes - just my 2p's worth.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm interesting, I know Honda sets it's bikes up run lean at the particular rev range where the emissions testing is done ( regular cruising speed) but other areas of the curve can be too rich. When I spoke to Dannyhyde who had dynoed some Runes. He said the mix was predominantly rich overall ( hence the eccesively blacked mufflers). He said he'd picked up around 5 hp with the K&N.
I wasn't sure about it so that's why I was waiting for an EFI unit to become available before I fitted the K & N to get the mix right.
It'll be interesting to see what your Dyno runs pick up with regard to A/F ratios across the range. There's very little info on Runes in the dyno department at the moment. You sound like you've got quite a bit of experience in this area so I'll be looking forward to all the info you can come up with.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
K&N Filter Box added - here is my DYNO -- 94 HP

He may have dynoed Runes to develop the mod, but he never even mentioned how many HP they generated. Be sure to Dyno your stock Rune and then put the mod on. This Dyno run is with the filter mod on it: Ken

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ken what is your opinion of adding the K&N eg carbon build up on exhausts, and 'seat of the pants' performance change (totally subjective I know).
I know you didn't have a pre-filter run, or did you.
Did the tester mention anything about your A/F ratios, ie were you running too lean with the filter
I got the info from Danny from some telephone conversations with him, but I also thought he posted some info on the power gains (initially he though around 10% I believe). He was doing some exhaust baffle mods as well wasn't he.
This was all a little while ago now and I've got a memory like a sieve, with the holes getting bigger every year . I'll try a little search when I 've got the time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts