Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the trip rundown for my recent Florida to Arizona excursion
(including all of the fantastic times I experienced along the way)

Thursday 14:53 Picked up 2004 Honda Rune in Gulfport Florida :biker:

Thursday 15:29 Departed Gulfport Florida en route to Port Allen Louisiana

Friday 02:22 Gas stop in Pensacola Florida where rear tire is found to be chunking and separating severely, emergency roadside assistance called :eek:4:
~~Begin researching repair options and service shops, posting "help" thread on forums, cancelling hotel reservation, booking hotel in service area, and waiting for tow operator.~~

Friday 04:59 Depart Pensacola Florida en route to Mobile Alabama via tow truck
~~Tow operator arrived and explained that this was his first day back at work since being found positive for the coronavirus and in quarantine, was not properly equipped to tow a motorcycle, and was absolutely not concerned with hitting absolutely every hard bump and pothole/sinkhole.~~

Friday 05:44 Arrive at hotel in Mobile Alabama
~~Throttle lock/Cruise Control unit is noticeably damaged as a result of improper tie-down but will not affect or impede functionality.~~

Friday 08:00-11:25 Contact local service shops, tire dealers, and speak with other forum members to find rear tire solution(s)
~~Cycle Gear (Kristin) was extremely helpful, affordable, and accommodating to the situation even with recommendations for local service shops.~~

Friday 11:38-17:16 Rode to local service shop where rear tire was pulled, replaced, remounted :tools1:
~~Shop technicians absolutely not accustomed to Rune motorcycles, personally assisted in removal of rear tire assembly to ensure no "accidents" occurred, overall extremely lengthy wait was explained as having to wait for a specific technician to return to put things back together due to "one especially difficult and peculiar bolt" which did not leave me with an overall easy feeling. They also "did me a favor" and refueled my tank so I could get back on the road quickly.~~

Friday 17:45 Back on the road en route to Mid Texas

Friday 18:19 FI light turns on solid, no flashes, and stays on
~~Pull off at truck stop, check everything possible without any dismantling, check gas and gas cap to ensure nothing is improper. Restart bike and no light shows, allow to idle for awhile without issue.~~

Friday 16:40 Back on the road en route to, hopefully, Texas

Friday 18:52 FI light returns on, solid, no flashes, and stays lit...again :22yikes:
~~Pull off at truck stop, begin diagnosing further (as best as possible from the roadside), contact other forum members to discuss possibilities and solutions. Turn signals not working properly leading to checking fuses, disconnecting battery, and disconnecting any/all in-line additional battery components (accessory plug, heated gear lines, battery tender quick connect), only fuse that is bad/blown is the 5a for turn signals which is replaced. Upon checking everything out thoroughly decide the situation is most probably dirty fuel injectors, possibly bad gas, and purchase fuel additive to try and flush the situation as more in-depth repairs are not an option currently.~~

Saturday 01:00 Arrive at hotel in Scott Louisiana
~~FI light consistently on, solid, but bike is responding properly at highway speeds and only shows issues when throttle is at low rpm or at idle. Engine will stall out if left at low rpm or idle for periods of time generally above 10-20 seconds, regardless of speed or gearing. This led to a handful of unpleasant highway speed moments where the engine had to be restarted, but never had any issues doing so and at worst required a bit of extra throttle to inject more gas than was being fed initially.~~

Saturday 10:38 Depart Scott Louisiana

Sunday 03:02 Arrive in Fort Stockton Texas
~~FI light same. No driving changes.~~

Sunday 06:22 Depart Fort Stockton Texas

Sunday 13:20 entering Deming New Mexico :22yikes:
~~Shifting linkage begins to become very tight and difficult/unable to shift at random times. It is not a constant issue but it is consistently happening and when combined with the need to remain at a higher throttle to deter stalling it is absolutely not a great experience.~~

Sunday 16:56 entering Globe Arizona
~~Shifting issue shows as possibly being clutch related when the clutch fails to disengage the gear almost resulting in a rear end collision with a truck near a gas station in town. Engine kill switch was used to completely shut the bike down and pull into a gas station to assess how to proceed. Upon letting the bike sit awhile and checking shifting was engaging properly the rest of the trip was made without any additional issues.~~

Sunday 19:48 arrive at Home in Arizona :banghead:
~~Motorcycle is at local, trusted, repair shop as of Wednesday and will be thoroughly checked out to get to the bottom of the issues described above and repaired to be back to fully functioning order.~~

That's it. Fantastic times on the road. Not my planned trip by any means, and definitely not my most enjoyable, but at least all of my previous experience riding long distances and knowledge of motorcycles helped get me home safely. I appreciate everyone here for reaching out to help out with ideas and support, it definitely means a lot to not only myself but also my family. I'm sure this won't be my last extravagant adventure on the Rune as I generally am always up for planning and executing decently longer excursions than most riders I know are willing to undertake or endure. :twisted:

My 2004 Honda VTX 1800 has been through plenty of 1,000+ mile adventures as was my 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT 750 before that so I don't think it will be long before I am saying the same about my Rune. So far I've already seen 2,300 miles on my Rune since owning it and that's a pretty nice start!

·
Registered
52 Posts
well you are a true road warrior!

how tiring was it to ride the rune long distance? how tall are you?

how did you carry your belongings?

did you use a GPS mounted on the bike?

thanks for sharing your experience!

please post a picture ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Planning to update with some pictures and such soon...

I'm 6' and I didn't find riding the Rune that bad honestly. At times it could definitely feel a bit cramped and I would have loved to had the ability to fully extend my legs...I'm going to look into adding highway pegs in the near future before my next long distance ride for sure.

The bike was equipped with saddlebags and luggage bags so I had plenty of storage capacity on the trip, probably an overabundance of space in all reality. I did have a GPS (Garmin) but it wasn't holding a charge as it is in need of having the battery replaced, something I have on order currently. I was on a rather direct and simple route however and so GPS wasn't necessary for probably 90% of this trip.

I'll post up some pictures of the bike soon but unfortunately I didn't take any scenic or travel shots...mostly due to the fact that I was generally dealing with stressful unexpected crap or just trying to make up lost time and stay on schedule to get home. This was definitely more of a "get the bike home" trip rather than a leisure trip unfortunately.

·
Jersey Boy
2,773 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story ( as stressful as it was ) Glad you made it home safe and sound..
Rich

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been thinking about doing a similar ride. Looking forward to those pictures. Did you ever figure out what was causing the shifting issue?

·
Registered
79 Posts
His post states he was going to update with pictures soon, that was 9 months ago, plus he hasn't been on the board in 3 months+.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts