Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sherry and I attended the Ford Performance School experience in Ashville, NC last week. All Ford owners who buy one of their High End ST (found out what that stood for at the class....ST stands for Sport Technology!) cars get invited to attend the school for FREE. They put us up at the Hotel on the Biltmore Estate....fed us dinner, lunch, and breakfast....gave us a free tour of the Biltmore (we'd done that before during another motorcycle rally). There was a Welcome Dinner Monday night. Tuesday morning, we were issued one of their Ford Explorer STs (we own one)....and we drove the Blue Ridge for the morning. That included a drive down one of the back roads that leads to the Parkway. It was fun!

After lunch, we were treated to quite a few different "classes" on performance driving and technics. There was Collision Avoidance (I really liked that one), Collision Detection (my car...wouldn't you know it....malfunctioned on my first pass....and YES, I HIT their test car they had set up for us to avoid collision with the system. It was just some kind of glorified "makeshift" sort of car....so the damage from the collision was minimal. But man.....was it "exciting" hitting it). They told me the Collision Detection system wouldn't go off until the last minute...that you were going to "think"....that you were going to hit the car. Think? I DID HIT IT. Slammed into (they only let you go 20 mph and then the system is SUPPOSED to break for you). We have it all on video, as they have some kind of fancy camera in all the cars filming both the inside of the car as well as the outside.....and showing your speed, etc.

I got to do a skid car (what a blast), parallel parking by pressing a button (don't think I'll ever use that in real life?)...and MY FAVORITE....the auto cross...competing against the other drivers for time. We also went "4 wheeling" on a trail through the Biltmore Estate. We had so much fun, we stayed an extra day to take in the sights.............

Ford Performance School Video ; https://www.stsuvexperience.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/FPRS_STSUV_East_2022.mp4

Ford site info for the Class: Register For Ford Explorer ST SUV Experience-Asheville – ST SUV Experience

·
Administrator
1,323 Posts
Sounded like fun. Too bad the other “car” wasn’t real, that would’ve been spectacular! ;)
We love the Biltmore.

-Ollie

·
Administrator
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
400 Hp, 415 ft/lb of Torque. They had a recall already, some of them were fracturing a rear axle bolt when people were getting on them hard............ I've had Dodge Chargers that were "stronger", but for an SUV.....it's pretty strong. It has a LOT of nice features. We sold my Charger and Sherry's Ford Edge.....and "downsized" to just one car for the two of us (and a 2020 F350 and of course....of course....3 motorcycles). So we got this thing "loaded" to make up for going from 2 to 1 cars. Premium stereo....seat massagers....moon roof (others call it a sun roof, go figure..........)....AWD ......etc.

I also bought a new bigger travel trailer. I'll be doing a lot of camping....SOON. My last day at work is next Friday, 9 September. I'm retired after that!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
congrats on the retirement. I'm, for sure, not looking nack at worklife with regret ... lol.
Camping is MUCH more fun with a motorhome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts