Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all,

My Rune just turned over 40,000 miles (3k put on by me, 2nd owner) and as far as I know the front end has never been serviced. The Service Manual doesn't say much about servicing the fork and what's needed to be done.

I'm planning to have my shop clean/repack the steering stem bearings, at least. Should I also have them clean/inspect/repack all those little needle bearings in the fork too? Are the needle bearings supposed get replaced at some X miles interval, or only when they're worn out? The bearings are fairly inexpensive so I'm tending to think they should be replaced, but I'm not sure...

Thanks and happy holidays, :xmas:
Erica

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Rikkiw94061;
Hi y'all,

My Rune just turned over 40,000 miles (3k put on by me, 2nd owner) and as far as I know the front end has never been serviced. The Service Manual doesn't say much about servicing the fork and what's needed to be done.

I'm planning to have my shop clean/repack the steering stem bearings, at least. Should I also have them clean/inspect/repack all those little needle bearings in the fork too? Are the needle bearings supposed get replaced at some X miles interval, or only when they're worn out? The bearings are fairly inexpensive so I'm tending to think they should be replaced, but I'm not sure...

Thanks and happy holidays, :xmas:
Erica
At only 40,000 miles I would leave it alone, unless you are having symptoms. The needle bearings are lubed for life.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lube required on assembly

The service manual says that new bearings are to be packed with grease before assembly, so presumably the solidified LiO grease within the needle bearings isn't enough on its own.

I noticed a huge difference in freedom of movement when I added lube to the rear shock linkage at ~38k miles. The old grease was dry and hard and the assembly didn't turn freely in my hands until I cleaned and relubed it.

My Rune rides fine but I notice on square-edged bumps that the front end kind of "judders" initially before settling down, which feels to me like the bearings aren't moving as freely as they should.

Maybe I'll have my shop disassemble and inspect all the bearings, replace any that aren't free or that have too much play, and relube and reassemble those bearings that are in good shape.

Thx
Erica

·
Registered
903 Posts
Try this first

Get your front wheel off the floor and see if you can find any looseness in the steering stem by, CAUSTIOUSLY, trying to push/pull the wheel forward and backward. (Get someone to help)

I'm thinking loose steering stem bearings that may only need to be re-torqued. But if you just feel like tearing into it, try to find "All Balls" bearings and go for it. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts