Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying different tires to see how they last.
I currently have a 880 METZELER 130/70/18 on the front. It has 7,000 miles on it, still looks great, and may go another 2 to 3,000. Very impressive. Handles great.

I have a 880 METZELER 210/50/17 on the rear. Just barely fits. It has 3,500 miles on it. May last another 2,000 and its toast. Not impressed. Center is going away.
These are supposedly both 880 high mileage tires. I think they sent the wrong rear tire.

So far the best front has been the METZELER 130/70 and the best rear has been the stock dunlop. (11 to 12,000 miles). Problem is, I do not like to run unmatched tires.

I have a matched set of Bridgestones exedras (130/70 and 200/50). waiting to go on next. These are about $260 a pair delivered. Thats better than $400 for stock.

I will keep you guys posted. 27,000 miles plus.

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
thanks for the report! I always want matched tires....no rear tire on the front.....and i never want to go DOWN in size....either on front or rear. So, no choice but stick with the "Flops" .....OEM tire :roll:

As for the 210 wearing out early....as i posted here before, that's no doubt because of the physics involved. According to all the major tire vendors i talked to at big shows/rallies, when you put a 210 on a rim designed for a 180.....it's going to cause the profile of the tire to change. The middle will bow or be more pronounced. IE, the tire won't be as flat a profile. You'll have a smaller footprint....and the middle will wear out prematurely. Avon told me that. Dunlop told me that. And Bridgestone told me that. All three of those agree if we put a 210 on our RUne rear rim....the tire would wear out in the middle in no time. Ken...and now you....and proven that theory to be true!

They said if you went just SLIGHTLY larger...like a 190....you probably wouldn't notice a big difference in tire life. but the larger you go....the more you change the profile of the tire (assuming the stock rim for the 180).

I'd love to see Avon come out with a 150 for the front...and maybe a 190 for the back. Like the Venoms i run on my Valk. I'd be ALL OVER THOSE :twisted:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
AV46 Venom Rear Tire 160/18 DOES NOT FIT on the front

Well, after getting the tire mounted, I have found the fender is 1/4" too narrow. So, now I have an 18" rear tire that wont fit my Rune. I will probably grow tomatoes with it. This was an experiment.
I have another Avon rear tire on order for the front axle. It will be a 150.

Again, my Metzler 880 210/-70 rear tire only lasted 6,000 miles. Yep, the middle burned out vy quickly.

Ken

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tires

Do research then buy! Checking at some manufacturer web sites, the smallest you can go on the rune front rim safely is 130, on the rear, 180.
Guys running a 120 are actually exceeding the weight load limit design of the tire. (Just barely).
The 130/70 tire is not low profile but has almost the same height.
A 150/60 front has a ratio of 90. Thats 150 X .60.
So your tire height is 90MM. (Or go 150 minus 40%=90)
A 130/70 front tire has a ratio of of 91. Tire height 91.
Not much difference. (1MM taller)

180/55 is 99. A 200/50 is 100. 210/50 is 105. (5 to 6MM taller)

A matched set is the same model tire. Matching compounds and tread patterns. You want them both to have the same traction so they react the same way. I dont need one losing traction and the other not. Its much more exciting if they both lose traction at the same time!

The front METZ is doing great!

·
Registered
13 Posts
rune tires

I have been wearing my front tires out 2 - 1 versus the back and am looking for an alternative , but listening to the forum , I think I'll just stick with the
stock tires. Been running more air pressure 41-43 lbs in front has helped
but still cups badly . The metgzer sounds interesting but I am not sure about changing the sizes.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
500 miles so far on the Avon AM22 150/60-18 used as my front tire.
Yes, it is a rear tire, which is reversed on the wheel.
http://www.motorcycledreamshop.com/shop ... ?p_id=0033

What I have noticed is this Avon AM22 150/70 VB18 size tire ends up having 1 inch MORE contact patch than the Dunlop OEM tire. It is noticeably more "stable!"

My 70mph test on the interstate is to quickly swerve between the white lines. I can still do it, but it takes a lot more "push" than with the thinner front tires.

I took Kat 2-up for 150 miles, and she said she noticed that the bike felt more solid.

The MAX Load limit is 42 pounds less than the OEM Dunlops.
The tread depth is deeper. (I will measure it and post)

It fits under the fender just fine.

You guys will get to see it at our Rune Rally!

Ken

·
Registered
665 Posts
Rear on Front

Ken...Did you notice if your gas mileage dropped with more surface area on the front tire...What psi (cold ) are you running on this tire..

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Hmm, I did not notice any difference in mileage... I just put gas in her and kept going. Next tank I will do the math.

40psi cold.

Ken

·
Registered
665 Posts
Gas Mileage

I watch my gas mileage very closely...not because I am worrying about cost...but that was my first indication of Big Black Smoke last year (actually around this time a year ago-a sudden drop to 30mpg was the first hint that I had a problem...and it ='d BBS for me)..... therefore I use mileage to keep a feel for how clean my girl is running... I see big variances (32-40mpg) depending on ...temp... humidity... tire pressure... where I buy gas... octane.... I do get my best mileage at 40psi front (cold) 37psi back.... 92 Octane Holiday gas and 80mph. 39mpg... Tire pressure seems to be the most obvious factor for me... I see an instant change for the better as tire pressure increases... but if I go much over or under the psi's shown I seem to lose tire life.... so 38mpg is what I generally feel good about. There are times when she burns very clean and times she burns very dirty... I do believe its the gas...but can't put my finger whether its a brand...octane.. or a particular station... Anyway...rubber surface on the road with the bigger tire Ken is using may also drag down the gas mileage...just curious..

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
both Sherry and my Rune get between 40-45 mpg. We run 42 psi in both tires.....on both bikes. Dunlop OEM tires. we almost never have much soot on ours. Mine has exhaust mod. hers doesn't. Mine has had the dreaded BBS....hers hasn't.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Gas Mileage

Dang! Only only get about 32 mpg on my '99 Valkyrie Tourer. Does that mean there's something wrong with it, or is there a reason the RUNE get so much better mileage? Did you get the kind of mileage on the Rune's original tires. You've all got me curious now! :?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I get between 38 and 42 MPG. Depends on how hard I am hitting the throttle, 2-up, etc. The worst mileage I got was 22 MPG riding in Kansas, 115 + mph for hour with a stiff headwind + rolling sagebrushes.

Shell Ultimate burns the cleanest.

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
My 97 Valk may get 32 mpg...on a GOOD day. Of course the Rune gets better mpg. It's called EFI, silly goose. EFI bikes have better gas mileage than the old carb bikes. Why do you think the EPA wants to mandate them :lol:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi Ken

Hi bross,
22.000 km = 13.680 miles

j will replace the front tire in other 1.000 km = at 14.300.
the second tire seems to make some more km in better condition.

at 20.000 km j replaced oils+filter. not yet the air filter, not yet the plugs.
j discussed with one of the main Honda dealers in north italy. he told me to avoid any further controll as valve inspections at 80/100.000 km.
just replace oils liquids brakes filters plugs any 20.000 km.

Ken what about your maintenance???

ciao
hannibal

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Hannibal,

Yes, you Europeans go for the longer oil drain intervals. And that is ok because you have really good oil.

I agree with your Honda dealer saying the valve adjustment interval is too often. I expect to check my valves at 50,000 miles. Of course, I listen to my valves by using a stethoscope on the valve covers when the engine is running.

I wish I had my Rune in Italy. I would like to ride from Paestum, up the Costa Amalfitana, to E5 from Naples all the way up to Fierenze (going fast).

Ken

·
Registered
692 Posts
road fast

Hi Ken, no doubt about your attention to the rune engine, heheh with the stetoscope :lol:

take care in italy, north rome and up we have a lot of cameras on the highway, south rome normally you may ride as you like hahaha :twisted:
ciao
Hannibal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts