Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that on my trip from SC to Colorado, while in Kansas and gaining altitude, that my mileage began to drop down from 37 mpg to 25 mpg. And, since I could no longer put Shell 93 premium in my bike, the exhaust got dirty after staying pristine from SC through Kentucky. After I return home next week I will see if things go back to normal. But first, I need to drive around in the mountains here in Colorado on Saturday and Sunday.
Ken (19,000 miles!!!!) "I'm going to wear this sukkah out"

·
Registered
575 Posts
Gas milage @high altitude

Ken,
I have made several trips in the Sierra's and get betweem 37 to 40 mpg. I have always used Shell,octane 91. Have never had this black smoke you are refering to. Have about 4 k on the bike. Elevation is near 8-9 k feet.

Bill

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ken

On my gold Wing I was told to start it up when cold and let it idle for 5 plus minutes and it will reset the ECM. I know it works on the Wing but don't know about our Runes. I would try it and see what happens.

Adrian

·
Registered
378 Posts
Don't let it warm up

Who ever told you to warm up a bike with fuel injection doesn't know squat about them. The manual and every mechanic I've met say to start it and go.

The trick to resetting the ECM is to disconnect power to it, then it will go back to factory defaults, but in reality the ECM on Honda's don't learn, they use a table based on all of the inputs from the engine, barometric pressure, throttle position, engine rpm and speed, tilt of the bike, etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Don't let it warm up

LOV2KRZ said:
Who ever told you to warm up a bike with fuel injection doesn't know squat about them. The manual and every mechanic I've met say to start it and go.

The trick to resetting the ECM is to disconnect power to it, then it will go back to factory defaults, but in reality the ECM on Honda's don't learn, they use a table based on all of the inputs from the engine, barometric pressure, throttle position, engine rpm and speed, tilt of the bike, etc.
I don't think I would jump to such a conclusion.
This is off the Gold Wing board and in the manual.

Adrian

Honda does indeed know exactly how it is. And so do I, because Honda taught me at an in-house training session in Torrance. There is no volatile memory in the ECM and no power on any ECM wire when the key is off. Therefore, disconnecting the battery and/or pressing the brake pedal does absolutely nothing... to the ECM. It will, however, erase the volatile memories in your clock and radios, and likely the shock adjuster as well.
This thing about disconnecting the battery to discharge capacitors is true for some automobiles, but it doesn't apply to your Wing's PGMFI system.

Here's how initialization works. Each time the bike is started with the temp gauge resting below the lowest mark, the ECM begins to initialize by gathering sensor data. Once all necessary data is present, the old data is overwritten. However, if the throttle is moved before full warm-up is reached, the initialization is cancelled (new data not installed) and the ECM goes with previously stored information. Red's post is 100% correct. Hope this clears it up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Don't let it warm up

LOV2KRZ said:

Steve

Until I crashed my Boss Hoss I was the Crew chief on a AA/Top fuel dragster and I do know a little about Fuel injections. You are right on most F I but on the Gold Wing and the Rune, you might want to check a little. ( Not saying you don't know squat, I'm sure you do).

Adrian

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rode around in the mountains today and got great mileage. Average altitude was 8,100 feet. Soooo, the lousy economy must have been because of the wicked cross wind on I-70 and that I was doing about 100 mph during all that time...... 42 MPG

Sunday: we are going to try to climb Pike's Peak today on the Rune

UPDATE: the ride up to the 13,000 foot altitude marker went on without a hitch. Well, I had a rider, but she was not a hitch hiker!
Consistent torque, and great fuel economy at these higher altitudes. Better than the Low Country in South Carolina.

·
Registered
378 Posts
This is what the owners manual says about starting the Rune

Any Air Temperature
This motorcycle has a fuel-injected engine
with an automatic fast idle. Follow the
procedure indicated below.

Any Air Temperature
Press the start button with the throttle
completely closed.

Then the manual goes on about not opening the throttle all the way because it cuts off fuel. There is nothing that I found about letting the bike idle and warm up. I would like the reference to the warm up requirement, if I'm not operating the bike in accordance with the manual I sure would like to know that so I can talk to Honda about it.

Furthermore, as i understand the ECM is it takes reading from the bikes senors and determine fuel injection open time and flow rate. This data is constantly changing otherwise the bike wouldn't accommodate changes from barometric pressure changes, O2 senor input, etc. I think we agree that the ECM is not rewritable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts