Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with great sadness I have to tell you all that I have traded in the Rune. My black beast...a bike of great engineering and style...has now gone to another stable. Though I still own my 2005 Gold Wing I have added a Big Dog Chopper in it's place. With great conflict I came to the decision to hand off the Rune after taking a look at resale value and trade in value according to Blue Book. What I found was shocking! They have a value now of $14,100 (and that's if the bike has hardly any miles!). Oh well...I enjoyed 15,000 miles on the Rune and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I'm sure that I'll see you guys around...whether it's at the Hoot, Myrtle Beach (I'll be there this year) and Daytona events.
I'm still a Honda Man with the Wing, but I'm a Crazy Man on my Chopper.
I'll check in from time to time....
Doc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Yo Dude, send some pics of the bike that your getting or got to replace the rune, I know two people that went over to the dark side & I think they regret it cuz right from the get go they had minor problems with their choppers,I hope you don't end up regreting the move,good luck & keep the rubber side down.Don't forget the pics of the chopper when you get around to it,also I would be interested in what you think of you trade in a month or so.Good luck.
Brent
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took a look at your link...that's retail, not trade value

Hey! Took a look at your link and found out that that was a retail price...not trade-in value that I was talking about. With all the not sold Runes on showroom floors resellers are not paying higher for used Runes because they feel, I'm told, that there's not that much demand for them.
Still...I had my Rune for 15,000 miles and a lot of fun. She was a great ride!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Traded the Rune on Friday

I traded the Rune on Friday and already have 400 miles on the Big Dog Chopper. I alway had a hard time with the seat position (longer legs) on the Rune and even though I rode it for 15,000 miles I still think my decision was right. However I will let you know what I think in a month.
Since I have been blessed with 2 bikes, the Gold Wing and the chopper I really think I have the best of both worlds.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
RadRuneRider,

Sorry to see you sell the RUNE. I hope that you enjoy the Big Dog ... it's resale value dropped 10k the day you left the showroom.

The best way not to loose money on a bike is to do what I do.... keep them. A bakers dozen at last count. 4 Harley - 4 Kawasaki - 2 Buell - 2 Suzuki - 1 Honda
 

·
Jersey Boy
Joined
·
2,806 Posts
John,
Sorry to see you go. Good luck with whatever you attempt. Hope to see you around some corner.
Rich K ( Rune Ski )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
not good bye - see ya some time

RRR Dude;

Just keep riding, man ~ it keeps one young ... like slalom waterskiing! :D

All the best,

NH Bill
8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Leaving

Geez...I don't personally know anyone on this board but feel like I lose a very close friend whenever someone leaves the "family". I guess I just can't imagine anyone wanting any bike after riding the RUNE. The value of the RUNE for me is not in $$$... it's in the exhilaration I feel even when I sit on it in my garage with 4 feet of snow outside... hey I think I'm in love :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
RadRuneRider said:
It is with great sadness I have to tell you all that I have traded in the Rune. My black beast...a bike of great engineering and style...has now gone to another stable. Though I still own my 2005 Gold Wing I have added a Big Dog Chopper in it's place. With great conflict I came to the decision to hand off the Rune after taking a look at resale value and trade in value according to Blue Book. What I found was shocking! They have a value now of $14,100 (and that's if the bike has hardly any miles!). Oh well...I enjoyed 15,000 miles on the Rune and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I'm sure that I'll see you guys around...whether it's at the Hoot, Myrtle Beach (I'll be there this year) and Daytona events.
I'm still a Honda Man with the Wing, but I'm a Crazy Man on my Chopper.
I'll check in from time to time....
Doc
Choppers are cool. I rode my first one at MountainBossHoss. They sell both bosses and now AIH. I couldn't believe how well it rode, got the chopper bug ever since.

What made you decide on the Big Dog and not another, say AIH? I plan on getting another job after retirement (last monday was last day) just to pay for my chopper. The Texas choppers from AIH are shipped with RSD and a 280. I will be getting a chopper, lord willing, with a 300.

This is what I want minuse the chrome package (I want as little chrome as possible and go with the polished aluminum) and a 113cc motor with competition package.

http://www.extremecustomcycles.com/2004_python_red.html

Have fun on you chopper, those who don't have one or have never ridden one don't understand the attraction.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Pronomian!

I took a look at the bike in the link that you provided...and all I can say is wow! That's a great looking bike! 300 back tires are harder to turn, but that's one beautiful machine. The reason I decided on a Big Dog is that my friends and I have been shopping around for several years, and have had a chance to ride different manufacturers bikes, and we all came to the same conclusion...the BD were for us. I have 3 friends that have bought BD Choppers along with me, and a fourth that's bought an Iron Horse. The ride is comfortable...I had mine zipping down highway 75 north of tampa at 90 mph...and quite manuverable. It's not that I didn't like my Rune...I loved it...all 15,000 miles on it. Even after my transmission failed at 9,000 (which Honda replaced in 2 days! Awesome Service) I still would have never thought about trading her. There just came a time after buying my 2005 Wing that I realized that my cruiser was the Wing and not the Rune. Unfortunately it made it easier to trade it off. One had to go, and I've always wanted a chopper. I've met some really great guys through this board and Honda experience, and I have a feeling that I'll be seeing many of them at the Hoot or Honda Homecoming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Re: Hey Pronomian!

RadRuneRider said:
I took a look at the bike in the link that you provided...and all I can say is wow! That's a great looking bike! 300 back tires are harder to turn, but that's one beautiful machine. The reason I decided on a Big Dog is that my friends and I have been shopping around for several years, and have had a chance to ride different manufacturers bikes, and we all came to the same conclusion...the BD were for us. I have 3 friends that have bought BD Choppers along with me, and a fourth that's bought an Iron Horse. The ride is comfortable...I had mine zipping down highway 75 north of tampa at 90 mph...and quite manuverable. It's not that I didn't like my Rune...I loved it...all 15,000 miles on it. Even after my transmission failed at 9,000 (which Honda replaced in 2 days! Awesome Service) I still would have never thought about trading her. There just came a time after buying my 2005 Wing that I realized that my cruiser was the Wing and not the Rune. Unfortunately it made it easier to trade it off. One had to go, and I've always wanted a chopper. I've met some really great guys through this board and Honda experience, and I have a feeling that I'll be seeing many of them at the Hoot or Honda Homecoming.
A guy at work told me there was a place in Winchester VA that had choppers. My wife and I took a trip down today and they had both BD and AIH. The big dogs had both 280s and 300s RSD. The AIH had 280s. I really liked the looks of the BD, they had a couple that had custom paint jobs. 117cc motors, 2 year unlimited mile warranties. I was looking at the ridgeback, I like hardtails. If it had a springer front I'd probably skip the bourget and get the ridgeback. What I did like about the bourget dealer is he will not let you buy unless you have test ridden one first, in case you don't like it. At the shop in State College you can test ride all day whatever bike you want. Anyway, back to the BD. I liked the feel, stretch and looks of the BD better with the shotgun pipes over the two in one of the AIH. I like the BD's tank better too. Over all the BD is a better looking big coming to you or going away.

I hope you have many safe rides. I think you made a good choice on choppers.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
TaraRune said:
OK, time to pipe in.

Man those choppers look nice.

AS my girlfriend said when she saw the Rune,
"God, I think I'm going to come."

I know the fad is here but what I don't like about choppers is....

Numb hands on a day ride.

maintenance, maintenance, maintenance equal money, money & time.

Back pain.


Guys, I'm gonna keep the beautiful Rune, ride all day in comfort
do the scheduled mantenance and never worry 'bout it.


K
If that is your GF's attitude, then keep the rune, though she may like the vibrations of a V-twin better.

When was the last time you rode a chopper? These do not have 70s technology. It is incredible how smooth a ride they are, abit long in the turning radius and though you can roll in the twisties, they are not twisties machines. The bourget I rode (two, 47 and 50 degree springer fronts) was a smooth a machine on the road as my boss is, I was suprized by how well it rode, and that was a hardtail. Even the AIH Texas Chopper was a nice ride, seat was a bit hard though. Sure you could feel it on some of the hard hits on the road but the normal bumps and holes you glided right over, the fat rear helps in that.

If it hasn't been a while go to a shop and test one, or at a bike rally. You still may not like it but you will probably come away thinking that was not what you expected.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Very nice! That's got a really balanced look for a large V8. It obviously runs like a scalded cat too.

Is that a one off build or is someone doing them commercially.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Runerod said:
Very nice! That's got a really balanced look for a large V8. It obviously runs like a scalded cat too.

Is that a one off build or is someone doing them commercially.
These are built by Kannon and are a first class ride. It handles like a dream and when you pull in at the drive inns (or any place) folks will almost run over each other to see the Bike.

Adrian
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top