Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put about 30 miles on it after work. Still 87 degrees out at that time; monkey butt wasn't a problem, and seat has quite a bit more surface area to spread the weight over.

Next is the National Cycle Switch Blade windshield and the Breakaway throttle lock and I'll be ready for the Honda Homecoming in two weeks.

The VTXOA is going to break the Guiness World Record for same model motorcycle ride. Currently held by the Valk at a bit over 300, the VTX is near 1,000 bikes registered. Even if we lose 25% due to last minute cancellations we'll smash the existing record.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Brake Away

Jeff Kehoe said:
I'm not a windsheild kinda guy.
But so far the best money I spen on the Rune was the the Brake Away.
This thing works great, I would hightly recommend it to anyone who rides ANY distance.
JEFF
I had put an oversized shield on the VTX, and have a tall with side deflectors on the Wing. My problem is alergies and wind up my nose / in my ears giving me sinus infections.

The windshield is the Netional Cycles Switchblade, so I'm going to be able to pull it off in a snap.

But, at 75+ mph I just need a shield so I can turn my head without my helmet yanking off.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another 50 miles on the Ultimate seat tonight; felt the pan a couple times during the ride. At 300# I'm compressing the foam until I bottom out.

I've got a gel pad & sheepskin cover I can carry, so I should be okay. Honda Homecoming next Thursday - about 700 miles one way.

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
David.....just for your info. I work on the InZane Staff....have for several years. At either InZane 2 or InZane 3....we had some 875+ bikes that rode to the Honda plant on the 1000 Valk march. The Honda folks counted them as we drove in.

So....getting 1000 folks to register is no big deal. We've done that before. The BIG deal....is getting people to turn in the OFFICIAL paperwork. No paperwork....no count. No count...no record. I thought we actually had a slightly higher count for one of the five years we've done that.....like 400+....but irregardless, EVERY year.....we have about DOUBLE the number of bikes that ride the march....than turn in paperwork. The year we had almost 900 on the ride....only 400 something turned in paperwork (and maybe some of those 400 weren't Valks....thus the number you quoted that was lower?????).

Bottom line....we've had over 300 bikes in the march EVERY YEAR....INCLUDING THIS YEAR.....but usually get about only half of them to turn in paperwork. So better concentrate on getting that paperwork. Now....as to why folks won't turn in a dang sheet of paper....is beyone me. I mean, why even join the march...if you aren't going to turn in the paperwork????

We even have lots of people helping....collecting the forms. But folks just don't fill it in or turn it in. maybe it's privacy issues (the form....to be official...has to have name, address, etc. on it)?? Who knows. I just know, as part of the Staff....we always have about a 50% of the folks who don't turn it it. If they did....we'd have the record (i have a Valk too) at about 875....give or take.

good luck.................

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, it's looking more like 500 - 600 VTX's instead of 1000.

And since I don't own a VTX any longer... :shock:

I'll be riding one though, a member up here has two he'll be trailering, so that will give me a ride to help in the count.

Guinness and Honda have set up a system where the bikes will be "quarantined" at the local WalMart in a fenced in holding area and the riders will be given wrist bands to be able to participate in the ride. I think they looked at the issue you are talking about with turning in the paperwork. The wristbands are numbered, giving them an accurate count.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the national cycle switchblade mounts for the rune (vtx1800)
that I would like to sell - I don't have the windshield.

The mounts are new and were only installed and uninstalled in the same hour

make me an offer.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Windshield

I'm still afraid to RUIN the looks of my RUNE with a windshield... I'm small enuf to be below most of the wind...20,500 miles without one....and in some nasty weather....I'll look windshields over at the Rally...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
601 miles (round about route) from Mount Prospect, IL to Marysville, OH for the Honda Homecoming. The National Cycles Switchblade 2-up shield did VERY well. When I got to the hotel I snapped off the shield for the balance of the event and snapped it back on for the trip home, another ~300 miles - 1,074 miles total.

The Ultimate seat was too soft (all my Ultimate seats have proven to be too soft - Wing, VTX, Rune), was riding in the pan after 30 minutes in the saddle. A Butt Buffer gel pad now resides atop the Ultimate seat.

The HDL organized VTX Record Ride-in was a success! There were 594 VTX's officially registered and riden from Marysville WalMart to the Honda factory. That sets a new Guiness record for the same make bike in a ride. (Can you imagine what the Gold Wings could do if they could get over their political snobery?)

I need to get my BrakeAway installed, a set of cruise pegs figured out, and a (safe and comfortable) way to carry a bag, before I will do another long trip.

Oh, there was a total of 2 (two) Runes that I saw attending the Honda Homecoming, and I was on one of them. You guys don't get out much do you?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Gel Pad

Hey David...Where did you get your gel pad??...My Corbin Rumble seat gets pretty hard at around 200 miles....I would like something to soften the ride up a bit...thx

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Gel Pad

Rich Oas said:
Hey David...Where did you get your gel pad??...My Corbin Rumble seat gets pretty hard at around 200 miles....I would like something to soften the ride up a bit...thx
Butt Buffers is the brand. They were at the Belfontaine vendor area during the Homecoming, I've seen them at other rallys too.

I also have an Air Riders gel pad I use on the Wing and VTX. I just forgot to grab that one for the Homecoming ride, so I got a Butt Buffers while I was down there.

http://www.buttbuffer.com/default.asp
http://www.carolinabuttbuffer.com/butt_buffer_ride.html
http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/buttbuffer.htm

http://www.airrider.com/store/category. ... true&cat=8

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
David....the reason you didn't see too many Runes at the Homecoming....is because it's pretty lame :oops: Most of us would rather show up for Hoot, InZane, Rune Rally, etc.

There WILL be a bunch of us at the Rune Rally in September! And there were about half a dozen at InZane....down from last year though. Also saw about half dozen at Hoot this year....also down from last year.

But can you guess how many will be at the RUne Rally in one month? It will ABSOLUTLELY be the most Runes ever gathered in one place in the world (ok, except for when they were all built at the factory maybe :wink: ).

See everyone at the Rune Rally.............

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm looking over my schedule, would love to get out there. Getting the Rune on Deals Gap is haunting me...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RedValk said:
David....the reason you didn't see too many Runes at the Homecoming....is because it's pretty lame :oops: Most of us would rather show up for Hoot, InZane, Rune Rally, etc.

There WILL be a bunch of us at the Rune Rally in September! And there were about half a dozen at InZane....down from last year though. Also saw about half dozen at Hoot this year....also down from last year.

But can you guess how many will be at the RUne Rally in one month? It will ABSOLUTLELY be the most Runes ever gathered in one place in the world (ok, except for when they were all built at the factory maybe :wink: ).

See everyone at the Rune Rally.............
We had a blast, so I guess it's what you (and your crew) make of it. Seems like everywhere we go (the Wisconsin and Illinois VTX group) people are clammoring to be a part of the party. It's amazint what a couple of poolside chairs and a cooler can do to get a party started.

Here's a shot I took of Hal stopping by and trying out Woot!'s helmet.

We're not out to cause trouble, just enjoying ourselves.

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
sorry.....been to three Homecomings, ALL five InZanes, 5 Hoots, 6 or 7 Daytonas, ALL five Cheahas, five Helens, five Panama City Beach, two Thunderbeach....the list goes on and on.

The ONLY one i wouldn't consider going back to is the Homecoming. the only way i'd go back is if we held it in conjunction with InZane like we did the three years InZane was in Ohio. There just isn't much draw there. Most the vendors are not oriented towards Rune or Valk (that i own)...more towards Gold Wing. Once you've seen the factory tour once or twice (three times for me)...that gets old too. I'm not into ice cream socials and parade of lights....so ....Homecoming just isn't worth me going some 720+ miles for...compared to all the other rallies i mentioned.

But...different strokes for different folks...as they say. Most who have been to Homecoming tend to agree it's a bit more of a Gold Wing type crowd. Again, if you're into that kind of thing...that's cool! Me, i need just a bit more excitement :wink:

now Honda's other rally...the Hoot...has quite a bit to do and doesn't have such a Gold Wing flavor. So i could see going back to it...though i don't care for the city of Knoxville too much! They sort of ruined that rally when they moved it from Asheville after all those years.

But i'm glad ya' had a good time. And of course, Hal and I are friends...so i would have enjoyed seeing him again (saw him at the Hoot recently....and visited his place in Miami not too long ago). We tried to get the VRCC (Valk) folks interested in moving InZane rally back to the Honda Homecoming area...and run them in conjunction with each other again. But alas, again, for the Valk crowd, there just isn't too much draw at the old Homecoming. So that idea got pretty much shot down!

we'll take plenty of pictures at the Rune Rally and post them here to show ya' what ya' missed :twisted:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was my first trip to Homecoming, but I agree with you Tim, there wasn't much draw once you get past the factory door. The Factory tour was too limited. Hell, the Harley tour is a blast, you get up close, Honda keeps you at a safe and far distance.

The spliting of vendors between two towns 20 miles apart was pretty lame too.

It was fun going, getting out, and being with the VTX group, but yes, the Homecoming as an event is pretty slow. It will take it being a group ride with the crew to get me back again.

I like the TN/NC area that you're holding the Rune Rally in. I'm sure hoping I can wrangle one or two days out of work to get down there. You've done a bunch of work on this, I hope everyone has a good time.

Have you gotten confirmation from LaMont yet?

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Lamont hasn't commited yet...but i feel sure he'll stop by. He lives in Mosheim....just some 60 miles away....so it's in his back yard. I'm sure he'll come by. Hopefully for saturday night...if not both Saturday and Sunday. I'm buying his dinner whenever he does show up. That's the least we can do for him. He does SO MUCH for all of us...and a bunch of other boards. If you have met him, you know he's a pretty cool dude too (Lamont don't get big headed...so i can say that here :wink: )

And his bike is sweet. Nothing like a Boss. I'm hoping he'll also bring the sweet GPS device he has and show it to Sherry. I sure would like Sherry...uh...i mean Santa.....to know what i'd REALLY like for Christmas!!! It's the coolest GPS unit i have ever seen!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts