Rune Rider Forums banner

Growling noise at Idle

5K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  iccus1 
#1 ·
OK I have noticed a growling type noise at idle. It kind of sounds like a bearing is going bad. I know the wing has some quirky sounds and I have gotten used to them I just want to know if this is a quirk of the Rune. Thanks for your help

#2 ·
growl

Have you had your front tire off recently? If so could be over tightened or loose or out of wack. Any buldge in front tire> Just a couple of things to check. Also there is possibly an opening at the bottom of your shroud causing some growling. Front brake pads could be looked at too! Good luck. P/S I hope your Rune isn't mad that she ain't going to The Honda Hoot and just wanting some extra attention. Let us know. Thnx :tools1: dog

#3 ·
I haven't noticed a growl on mine, but I may not be listening as carefully as you. Exactly under what conditions does it growl?

Idle obviously. I assume the bike is stopped so it isn't running-gear noise.
In neutral, clutch out?
In neutral, clutch in?
In gear, clutch in?
How far off idle before the noise goes away?

#4 ·
asacuta said:
I haven't noticed a growl on mine, but I may not be listening as carefully as you. Exactly under what conditions does it growl?

Idle obviously. I assume the bike is stopped so it isn't running-gear noise.
In neutral, clutch out?
In neutral, clutch in?
In gear, clutch in?
How far off idle before the noise goes away?

Start the bike run it until warm. Come to a stop and let idle. It sounds like a ball bearing rolling banging around. Sort of a gurgle sound. The wing used to have a tick sound and it came to be nothing but annoying. I hope this is just a quirk and not something that is going to come apart.

#5 ·
hogzilla said:
Come to a stop and let idle. It sounds like a ball bearing rolling banging around.
This does not sound good!!!!
I hear no sounds like that from my RUNE

It only happens after riding?
Not at start up?
Are the Fans coming on at this point?
Could be the fan hitting something or maybe the bearings bad?
Run the bike till the fan comes on and see if that’s your sound

#6 ·
Skibum said:
hogzilla said:
Come to a stop and let idle. It sounds like a ball bearing rolling banging around.
This does not sound good!!!!
I hear no sounds like that from my RUNE

It only happens after riding?
Not at start up?
Are the Fans coming on at this point?
Could be the fan hitting something or maybe the bearings bad?
Run the bike till the fan comes on and see if that’s your sound
Fans are off. It is only at idle it sounds like the bike has a buggar in its throat. I took it to the shop and the tech said it doesn't sound like anything. But you know what that means!! I trust my Rune brethren before I trust a mechanic that hasn't seen but one of these.

#8 ·
gurgle= coolant / coolant temp.......check water pump,thermostat,fan opperations,and coolant level,or a bad radiator cap.....a restricted air filter making the engine opperate above opperating temp.... grawl = bearing noise..... alt.bearing like evoluzione posted,clutch assembly,or in trany,
with both noises i would point to a coolant problem added with a rectricted air filter............and probably with a clutch plate noise........

probably low on coolant and air filter needs cleaning.........

#10 ·
ruinedone said:
Also have the same growling , had dealer look , mine is somewhat intermintint. dealer put note in file. Adjusted valves not it/ seemes no worse started 6000 kilo now at 20 no change
Mine is intermentent also. I think it may be like the wing and be an alternator. It does not seem to be getting worse and it hasn't effected the performance. Thanks for your input and I am glad there is someone who is hearing the same thing. I have a weird since of hearing. When I got my first Harley that stupid rattling noise box drove me crazy.

#11 ·
add moly powder to your oil. Seems to me there was a post about a bad alternator bearing on a Rune about 2 years ago.

Try using a screwdriver as a stethoscope. And report to us on where the noise is loudest. warning: when you do this you will really want to put in primo oil and moly cause there are lots of moving metal sounds going on ;)

next time you are going to do something with the radiator, flush and fill with Evans Waterless coolant (ethyleneglycol with no water needed).

Ken (43,500 miles)

#12 ·
ok, have done alittle research,,,,,,have you preformed the exhaust mod.?
if you have,,,,,,and drilled through a baffle or cross over in the muffler
this will growl at idle....the noise transfers to the rear top of engine......
and also to top and bottom front...creates a low pitch vibration that is interpreted as a growl........just an idea.....

#13 ·
i second the "Evans Waterless coolant" it is the best you can use in the rune...........or any water cooled cycle......
right on ken.........

#14 ·
Growling noise at idle

I noticed the same growling noise last fall. It only happens after the engine is warmed up and only when its idling. Sure sounds like a bearing and its coming from the alternator area..... went to my trusty dealer and Jeff the service manager took a listen; its the alternator driven gear bearing. Jeff is ordering the parts. He plans on replacing the bearing and all related parts. The engine will need to be pulled and the rear housing removed. He said it would be down for a about 3 days.

#15 ·
Re: Growling noise at idle

NRXRAY said:
I noticed the same growling noise last fall. It only happens after the engine is warmed up and only when its idling. Sure sounds like a bearing and its coming from the alternator area..... went to my trusty dealer and Jeff the service manager took a listen; its the alternator driven gear bearing. Jeff is ordering the parts. He plans on replacing the bearing and all related parts. The engine will need to be pulled and the rear housing removed. He said it would be down for a about 3 days.
Please keep me posted on this. Was there any concern on their part about the bike breaking down etc?? I am planning a loooong ride coming up and I don't want this thing to fly to pieces on the road. Thanks for your input

Hogzilla

G
#16 ·
I'm a new Rune 2005 Owner from Puerto Rico, I got my bike from the US with 996 miles on it. I hear the same Growling noise at Idle. I doesn't seems to affect the performance, but i think it could be an accident waiting to happen.

Regards

Ed

#17 ·
ed said:
I'm a new Rune 2005 Owner from Puerto Rico, I got my bike from the US with 996 miles on it. I hear the same Growling noise at Idle. I doesn't seems to affect the performance, but i think it could be an accident waiting to happen.

Regards

Ed
That is my concern that it is going to be an accident waiting to happen. I hope it doesn't happen while I am on a trip.

#19 ·
alternator bearing sounds?

Hogzilla, I am going to reproduce my post from October 04, as it may help you and your dealer diagnose the problem. I don't know if this is your problem, but might be... here it the post:

"First of all, a few apologies and disclaimers. This will likely be the longest post I ever make here. I certainly hope so. My reason for posting is just to get this engine "event" on the record so if any of the rest of you have a similar problem you will know of one other Rune out there that has already experienced it and give your Dealer or shop a "heads up". The outcome was good. The Rune was an awesome bike before the warranty work and it still is. It runs better than ever, if that is possible. Ok, here goes:

Last summer, just before leaving for INZANE, after a long hot ride over the North Cascade Highway, I noticed at low speed (wearing a half helmet, so I could hear) a significant grumble from the left side rear of the engine. The noise was more noticable high in the engine case rather than down low. To me it sounded like a couple of stones tumbling in a rock tumbler. To hear it you needed to listen past the engine sounds, cause the engine noise is completely separate and if you are looking for a change from the normal engine sounds you will not find it at all. It is a completely different noise. My riding buddy Ratdog, gave it his "guesstimate diagnosis" as an alternator shaft bearing. There are 2 of them, front and aft. His guess was the front. I took the bike to the Dealer and told them what I knew and left the bike while I rode to INZANE. I called them from Paducah and they said they had replaced the rear alternator shaft bearing and all that went very well but the bad news was it did not solve the problem. You can replace the rear shaft bearing without engine disassembly. They were waiting for a visit from their District Service Manager to get his diagnosis. I took the bike home after INZANE and rode it every day to work. The noise was still there. Finally, the DSM scheduled a visit to Seattle and I dropped the bike off the day before. He knew exactly what the problem was once he listened to it. It becomes more noticable the hotter the bike is running. He said indeed it was the front alternator shaft bearing starting to break up. He recognized the problem cause they had a bunch of these in the first year of the 1800 Wing and repaired all of them under warranty. The problem is not actually a faulty bearing. The real culprit is the left side engine case (part #21100-MEC-000). Evidently there were several of them that were not milled to the exact specs and the first problem to manifest itself is the front alternator shaft bering going away. It was a parts supplier problem and they thought they had it solved. The engine case is not just a "cover". It has several critical features that are milled directly into it. Things like spring holders and toggle valve seats and things like that. Obviously, you have to drop and split the entire engine, remove the left side case and replace certain parts that could have been affected by the shavings of the bearing disintegrating, or from the engine case being forced into a fit at the factory while it was not milled quite to specs. I was "Runeless" for about 3 weeks while this work was done. Fortunately, I was out of the country for 2 weeks of it so it was not such a big deal (and I have my trusty 2000 Tourer {86,000 miles}, as a back up bike). I list here the parts that had to be replaced:

Parts Quantity Description
31111-PO8-J02 1 Bearing, RR
13430-MCA-780 1 Gear Assy. (28T)
13320-MCA-780 1Gear (72T)
96140-60040-00 1 Gear (72T)
21112-MCA-000 1 Gasket, RR, Case
90456-MAS-000 1 Washer (25MM)
13534-MCA-000 1 Spring, Thrust
90206-MZ0-000 1 Nut Hex, (22MM)
90245-MN5-000 1 Nut Lock (40MM)
90241-MB0-000 1 Nut Lock (30MM)
11351-MCA-000 1 Gasket, Clutch Cover
91301-MGB-003 1 O-Ring (51.6X2.3)
18291-MNS-650 6 Gasket, EX PIPE
15410-MCJ-003 1 Filter, Oil
94109-14000 1 Washer DRN Plug 14MM
6140 4 Bardahl Syth 10/40
08C50-C321S01 4 HP Coolant Qt
90428-PD6-003 2 Washer (12MM)

#21 ·
Re: alternator bearing sounds?

Cyclops said:
Parts Quantity Description
31111-PO8-J02 1 Bearing, RR
13430-MCA-780 1 Gear Assy. (28T)
13320-MCA-780 1Gear (72T)
96140-60040-00 1 Gear (72T)
21112-MCA-000 1 Gasket, RR, Case
90456-MAS-000 1 Washer (25MM)
13534-MCA-000 1 Spring, Thrust
90206-MZ0-000 1 Nut Hex, (22MM)
90245-MN5-000 1 Nut Lock (40MM)
90241-MB0-000 1 Nut Lock (30MM)
11351-MCA-000 1 Gasket, Clutch Cover
91301-MGB-003 1 O-Ring (51.6X2.3)
18291-MNS-650 6 Gasket, EX PIPE
15410-MCJ-003 1 Filter, Oil
94109-14000 1 Washer DRN Plug 14MM
6140 4 Bardahl Syth 10/40
08C50-C321S01 4 HP Coolant Qt
90428-PD6-003 2 Washer (12MM)
wow great info :yes: Thanks very much for the time you've put into the issue and followup.

Question: what's your VIN and build date :?:

Jakesboss :)

#23 ·
RE:Alt bearing/Engine Case Issue

Wow....this is upsetting to those that have the issue....upsetting in that apparently Mother Honda New/knows about the issue and is still trying to unload the Rune's knowing that some of these (whatever the batch is) have this issue. And also upsetting in that a recall apparently was never issued on the problem as well. In reading the problem was hoping the it wasn't an engine drop/split and rebuild but it sounds like the case on one side needs to be totally replaced with one having appropriate milling and clearances.....a major fix and one including at least a months downtime going right into the riding season...does not do much for our image of Mother Honda....but it's the norm for manufacturers of any vehicle....
What makes one nervous is no dealers have experience on these Runes so who knows what you'll get in return after the work on such a major job ....I was nervous in bringing mine in after the right cooling fan sliced up the airbox breather tube like a salad shooter (this was before I knew what it was or I'd have done the job my self) and they scratched the heck out of the tins....watched for an hour as I had them buff the tins out with a highspeed orbital....it was that or they were buying new tins....(interestingly enough their work orders say at the bottom "Not repsonsible for incidental scratches or dings")...all this with a couple hundred miles on the bike .... the plus is it is essentially a wing engine with the caveat of the 6 individual throttle bodies and I'm sure they've worked on plenty of wing engines before so how different could it be.....

Anyway....good luck to those that have the issue....keep us posted on progress....if you're having the work done...

Ride Safe~
PJCruiser

G
#24 ·
Re: Growling noise at idle

NRXRAY said:
Were you able to fix your problem?

Ed

#25 ·
Hi fhere, new rune owner here. I was hoping there were updates to this thread. How did everyone make out with this growl noise? Are any of you guys still members and riding these bikes? What was the results for all experiencing this problem?
wayne 2005 rune #393

#26 ·
As you know, VERY old post. Most of those folks are long gone. In fact, two of them actually passed away, literally. The ONLY person I think that is still hanging around from this thread is Skibum. The others were last "seen" on here many, many years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.