Rune Rider Forums banner

Has anyone used the U-Haul Bike Trailer????

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeff Kehoe 
#1 ·
Im going down to Myrtle Beach, and would like ANY feedback on the rentals. It says max speed is 45 mph, can I exceed that? Seems a little slow if you ask me. 15 buck a day is pretty cheap! :lol:

THX JEFF :beer8:

#3 ·
trailer

Jeff I used a U-Haul trailer for my Honda Aero, it just fit. Went to Honda Hoot and on the way back(doing 70 mph) axel bearing went bad and tire locked up. got stuck on 95 outside DC. When state police came I thought they would give me some help. All they said was if I was still there when they came bace I would be ticked and towed, very nasty. U-Haul sent a repair truck with spare wheel. Driver said since it was sunday he had to find a shop open that had the wheel I needed.I was on my cell phone so much that day asking for help that i exceeded my normal useaged by $20.00. The Rune is a lot bigger than a 1100 cc aero. make sure the Rune fits before you drive off. Any way let me know how you make out. :roll:

#6 ·
I forgot to mention

When I responded to you that I pulled "my bike" at 70 mph with no problems, I forgot to mention that it was not my Rune, but it was my Harley Road King.

The guy with the bad wheel bearing sure had a problem, but I'm not sure it was caused by the speed as much as lack of proper bearing lubrication.

Once again, good luck.

#7 ·
I have used U-Haul trailers for years to move bikes around. Due to the low loading height I found it much easier to load than putting a big bike in my pick up.

Consider renting a covered trailer, they are the same price. If you get caught in bad weather, your bike stay clean and dry. The other advantage to a closed trailer is that if you stop for the night, no one knows what's inside, and you can lock the back.

The downside to renting ANY U-Haul trailer is that you cannot lock the trailer tongue to your draw bar.

When I picked up my Rune last summer I used a 5x8 enclosed trailer. The bike BARELY fit. I would recommend the 5x12. It has a tandem axle and tows much easier.

With respect to the 45 MPH limit, I think that is "lawyer speak". I have towed their trailers at 70+ with no problems.

Another trick that I learned is that you can use soft loops through the wood bumpers to keep the rear end from moving.

Good Luck-
Duane

#10 ·
Saw your sde covers

While looking at the pictures of your bike, I noticed that you have chrome side covers. Where did you get them, how much did they cost, are you happy with them, and do you know of any others which are available?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Freddie

#11 ·
Re: Saw your sde covers

Freddie said:
While looking at the pictures of your bike, I noticed that you have chrome side covers. Where did you get them, how much did they cost, are you happy with them, and do you know of any others which are available?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Freddie
I bought them on Ebay, and I believe there is a pair on there right now.
JEFF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.