Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked with Adrian West yesterday and it looks like I will be buying his Rune from him. From his description, it is well equipped with screen, pegs, Corbin seat modified from dual to solo, throttle lock and bags.

For a little background on me, I haven't ridden since 1981. First bike was a Honda 550-4 in 74. Then a Kawasaki H3 (mean and evil 750cc triple two stroke for those of you too young to recognize it). I ran a bike shop in Oxnard CA in 74-75 and rode a Z1 (900cc Kawasaki) from LA to NY and back before taking over the shop. Last bike was a Suzuki 1100 in 1981. Have ridden everything of that 70s era, including Gold Wings, for short rides. My recollection of the Gold Wing is good ride, smooth throttle response and so little engine vibration I had to ask myself if it was turned on. With all this in mind, what should I expect from the Rune?

Now I have to get the Rune from Modesto to Tampa. I could have it shipped, but if circumstances allow I wll ride it. Might even have my son join me. This opportunity leads to a few questions which I hope some of you will be kind enough to answer, as I am out of touch with current products.

First, is there anything else I should consider adding to the bike for the trip? If I add a two up seat, which one would you recommend? Footbars for rider and passanger?

What apparel are you finding good fit and quality these days? Leather or fabric? I am a short and wide type, 5'8", 250 pounds, 44 waist, 54 chest and 30 inseam. If I have to have something custom made, who do I talk to?

I'll be wearing a full face helmet (worked too long in healthcare and ERs). Any brand getting best marks these days? Boots will likely be the old harness style. Used to wear gauntlets (elbow length gloves). What are some alternatives today?

Who provides reasonable insurance for Runes? All my other vehicles (including my 70 GTO convertible) are with State Farm. Not sure if they are doing motorcycles these days.

Has anyone started to make Rune-specific accessories such as patches, emblems, etc.

And finally, in the Rune movie on the Honda site, why is there a Viking warrior, but no Valkyrie?

Thanks in advance for your advice. Hope to see you all on Labor Day if not sooner.

Dan Reynolds

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome

Dan,

A lot of questions. First the Rune come as a solo ride. If you want to ride w/ a passenger you'll definitely need to modify. I've a Corbin D/T with Rivco passenger floorboards. I've also a Windvest small windshield.

In my experience State Farm SUCKS for motorcycles. I've Progressive.

If I were to buy a new full face helmet today... and could afford it after the Rune, I would buy a Shoei for the lightness, fit and construction. Way pricey. I hope this helps.

Peace,
Dickson

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi Dan,
J purchased my rune in ohio, j loaded on an aircraft and received in italy.
j never seated on it.
j filled with oils and coolling liquid, j installed a battery and j started the engine.
than j seated on my Rune, my wife was astonished. J was not riding a bike (neither for a minute) for the last 15 years.
j mouved easily as 15 years back.
of course the bike is heavy when you stop and take care of the correct position, as well when turning slow.
after 3.000 miles j found a correct front bar highness, j modified my riding position (all the weight back and no pressin on the bar) and now at 12.000 kms j am riding on mountains in narrow roads perfectly.
j am 56 y old. j built a windschield and a double seat as the rear passengers pegs. ride the bike in two but do not exceed the weight required for the Rune, or ride slow. riding changes a lot with an exces of weight.
enjoy your rune.
ciao
hannibal

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken,

Great artwork, but guns weren't actually used much when Valkyries reigned. Have to put something else there.

With all your riding experience on the Rune, might you have answers to any of my other questions?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
236 Posts
Kythyn,

Congrat's on your purchase.

With your experience you will be happy with the Rune. I had a Z1 back in the 70's .... my buddies at that time were into HD's ..... but I still have fond memories of the Z1's power / smooth engine / dependability...

The Rune has some of those traits .... while it is not the most powerful it will hold its own against most cruisers. The seat / bar position is nice for a cruiser... the standard peg position is a little tight for long legged people, but you have the same inseam as me and I do not feel cramped. The F6's low center of gravity makes it easy to handle.

As for riding gear I go with leather jacket and chaps ... then again I'm in the northeast .... not known for the warmest of weather. A local leather shop custom makes all my gear ... great fit and really nice soft leather. If you go for leather be careful of the "imports" ... getting a good fit is not always easy and sometimes the leather is stiff.

I have a Shoei full coverage helmet, great fit / construction / and design... wind buffeting is very low compaired to other full helmets I have used. I do not have a windshield on my Rune. When I ride a bike with a windshield I use a open face helmet.

For insurance I use Progressive but check with your company maybe thay offer a bike / car discount program.

"Might ever have my Son join me" ... on the bike ? or riding his own ? while the Rune is a great bike .... it is not the best long distance tourer .. if you are riding solo a few of the members have used backpacks and have said nice thing about them.... "worked as a backrest . etc" From your description Adrian has set the bike for touring ... bag / screen / throttle lock ... etc. Storage for two may still be a little tight ... maybe try UPS'ing what you need to a Motel stop along the way.

Once you get the bike let me know and I'll update the VIN List ... a -1 in California and a +1 in Florida ..... will make Florida in number 1 Rune state again..

Enjoy the bike and I hope we meet up in September...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The longest I drove in 1 day on my Rune was 950 miles. I went from SC to Colorado in 2 days/1 night. I wore the full backpack and a smaller pack on my stomach. The stock seat sucks for long distance riding. The Corbin 2-up seat is terrific. Plus, you have more options for leg positions with the rider boards just behind you. So, I disagree that the Rune is not good for long distance, Pah!

I have 3 different jackets plus a FroggToggs rain suit, and a monstrous zip in exposure suit.

Wear silk for long trips. Cotton underwear is nothing but trouble.

wear protective gear like you are going to actually have to use it.

Upgrade your lights. There isnt room in the headlight assy for a HID ballast power supply.... I am still thinking how to do that. So, to upgrade lights: add more. My HID lights on my engine guards have stopped deer in their tracks at night. Plus, I aim them high during the day. Let's just say that there arent too many other vehicles that are as bright as the front of my Rune. That bright pair of lights WILL keep you out of trouble in street traffic.

Ken (30,100 miles)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fond (?) memory of Colorado

Ken,

You reminded me of my one experience riding in Colorado.

On my one big ride in the 70s, I was passing through Denver and stopped at the AAA office for routing to Salt Lake City. They sent me over Berthout Pass (11,700) feet in May. So here I was riding a bike jetted for sea level two miles up and there was snow everywhere but on the road.

To add insult to injury, I get to the bottom of the Rockies on the western side, mentioned to someone the route I took, and was then asked why I hadn't taken the Eisenhower tunnel. Who knew there was a tunnel through that big old mountain? Took most of the Utah desert to thaw me out.

Dan

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Ken buddy....i think you are in the minority about the Rune's long distance comfort. You're one of the few folks i know who ride their Rune as if it were a Gold Wing 8)

Most of the rest of us find it more pleasant for a bit shorter rides :wink: Sure, i'll ride it 200-250 miles for a day's ride. Once in a while 300. BUt more often, it's more like 150-200 for an easy day ride. When i want to ride far...or have comfort...or storage, i take my Valk.

put another way, if i take the Rune to a rally, USUALLY it's going to be trailered there....cause of distance/comfort...storage of clothes, etc. If i want to ride to a rally...i take the Valk. Case in point, i'm going to the Helen Valk rally this weekend....and it is ONLY 255 miles from my door step. but i'm trailering....cause i need clothes and booze and such. Can't get that on the bike. And Sherry and i wanted to take the RUnes. So, it's Trailer Queen time....AGAIN.

But 3-5 June i'm going to the Big Bike Rider Rally in Maggie Valley, NC. For that one, i'll be RIDING the Valk....as i want to ride there....and bring clothes, etc.

Ever wonder why MOST of us don't post our mileage like you do in their signature? It's cause we don't have that many miles :oops: you...and maybe just a few others....are the only ones i know who really ride the heck out of their Runes! But hey, more power to ya'....

OK...here it is....had my bike since 9 Aug 03...and i have 11,750 miles on it. Going in for rear tire change TODAY. Sherry's bike...since Feb 04 purchase....has just under 8000 miles on it. Where as my Valk has 73,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The deed is done

Adrian and I have reached agreement on his Rune. Just need to ship it to Longmont, Colorado and find some local rides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts