Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....it's a new product....at least i think a new product....Direct Line is selling to mount "inspection sticker" or the like on your bike in style:

my question is:

don't suppose someone could figure out if there is some way to mount this on a Rune on the LEFT front area...like the left front fork area? I MUST have a base sticker on my bikes to ride them on the base where i work...and i MUST have that sticker "permanently" mounted on the left side up front somewhere prominent.

on my Valk...i have the sticker mounted on the bug deflector chrome piece...which is quickly removably. when i put the Valk in a bike show, i remove the chrome bug deflector over the forks with the sticker on it...and put on another 'virgin' replacement deflector so the bike looks clean for the show.

i would LOVE to be able to ride my Rune on the base to work. But i REFUSE to put a sticker on this gorgeous bike. If i could find someway to mount a product like THIS ONE on the left front fork area....this could be the solution i've been looking for. Mount it on....with the sticker on there....ride the bike to work. On weekends, remove the sticker mount/device.

But alas, i can't figure out anywhere i could mount this with that one hole in it. ANyone see somewhere on the Rune front end...or got any suggestions on where this could be mounted?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Tim, there's really not a bolt on the front end that would work well without having to fabricate a bracket that the plate would attach to. Plus you'd have to maybe get a longer bolt to accomodate the bracket, the only bolts you could use would be the brake caliper bolts or the fender strut bolts, neither of which you want to be constantly loosening and tightening.
I would find a chrome or aluminium clamp with rubber backing(so chrome/aluminum doesn't get scratched) that would fit the turn signal stem. I would position the clamp so that the tightening bolt and nut are on the bottom side of the stem, so the plate would be under the turn signal. The bolt would go thru the plate and into the clamp, this might require a little longer bolt than the clamp came with (but keep the bolt length as short as possible, so you don't create a clearance issue). Where you would position the clamp would depend on clearance when the handlebars are turned, you'd have to experiment a little. If it wouldn't work under the turn signal try it on top.
If not there, then same idea but on the lower part of the fork, that would require some type of bracket attached to the clamp to hold the plate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
inspection plate

I have had the same inspection plate since the 1st day i picked up my RUNE. dealer mounted it on the left front wheel, he just used the bolt at the bottom of the faulse shock tube. :tools1:

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Batman...could you show us a pic? I'm most interested in how you mounted.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
picture

I don't know how to post a picture but it is mounted on the bottom bolt/ left hand side at bottom of the strut the holds the yellow reflector. I do have pictures but they are to large to attach to this message. I will try sending photo to your home add. :biker:

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you send me a pic....i think i can figure out how to post it for the members to see 8) Probably easier for me to do it for you...than explain it 8)

Us Alabama Boys aren't real cultured at cyphering ya' know....so 'splainin' how to do it might be tough on me :wink:

Thanks in advance. I'd LOVE to be able to ride my Rune to work on the base. The guys at work have been dieing to see it. Some have seen it off base. But i can't get it on the base......without that sticker on there somehow!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sticker plate

Hey Redvalk, I was thinking about what you could use. The only thing I could come up with would be to buy a front turn signal bracket that mounts on the fork itself. If possible without the light attachment. Then I think you could bolt the plate on the bracket. Being able to slide it up or down the fork, or swivel it front to back of the bracket.

·
Swamp Rat
6,989 Posts
TaraRune

I just hate it when someone reduces a complicated and complex issue into something as simple as using common sense.

Now when it is cleverly noted that the magnet will scratch the paint, or chrome, don’t-be a-coming back with suggesting the magnet be covered with felt.

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i tried the magnet idea...with a magnet (sheet) off of my refrigerator front door. But alas, it wouldn't stick on ANYTHING on the front of any of bikes. Tried that idea about two years ago. Let me know if you can find something on the LEFT side of the bike...the forks...etc....that a magnet would stick to. I couldn't...it just kept falling off.

·
Swamp Rat
6,989 Posts
Tim

I use a magnet, from HomeDepot, that holds a leather fanny-pack on the fender. it’s covered with felt.

The magnet is round about the size of a golf ball and holds the fanny-pack securely.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey redvalk

Maybe this would work. If you took a plastic bottle, just a little bit smaller than you fork or what ever you want to mount it on. Cut the top and bottom off, sliced it up & down, or even cut some of it out. That way you could take it on and off, and mount your sticker to it. You could just bend it so it 'snaps' around the fork. You may want to put some 'moleskin' on the inside so it does not scratch up anything. you could make it the exact size you need.
I was thinking maybe a small Wawa milk bottle, or iced tea bottle.
Just a thought.
JEFF

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmmm....some interesting ideas. On the magnet idea, i can't put the sticker on the fender. It has to go on the forks....or worse...on the windshield. Base rules, ya' know. Wonder if that magnet Chuck speaks of would stick to the fork area? My refrigerator ones won't................

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey Tim I think Jeff has a good idea!
You might be able to use a clear florescent tube cover it should fit tightly around the fork tube and hold your base sticker in place.
Easy to remove when you wanted.
I have seen them in home Depot I think as florescent tube protector covers
I would also like to thank you for all the work and efforts you put into the Rune get together.
Wish I could attend maybe next time.

Todd
Rune 31

·
Registered
146 Posts
Windshield

Tim,

I can't remember if you were the one that thought that any windshield ruined the looks of the Rune, but if you weren't, get a Rifle, have the windshield cut to the height of the sticker and only mount it up when on the way to work.

I might even have a used (and scratched) setup you could use. How big is this sticker and I will see if the scratches would still be there after it was cut down.

Dan

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no....i'm not one who thinks ANY windshield ruins the Rune (like that play on words??). But i am one who thinks ANY windshield BUT the Windvest ruins the Rune. 8) So only the WIndvest goes on mine. And it's already on it...............

Flourescent tube protector uh.......

·
Swamp Rat
6,989 Posts
Tim

Three step solution.
1. Quit the Government job.
2. Get honest employment
3. Tell the Feds you don’t need no stinking sticker.

·
Registered
146 Posts
old style registration holder

Any chance they would let you use a registration holder (like the one your daddy or granddaddy had), with the clear plastic envelope and the springs that wrapped around the steering column?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts