Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I know its not a new topic but I started a new tread. I used an inch and one half (1" 1/2) hole saw and drilled into the mufflers. It sounds "real good". Now it sounds like it looks.When I started it I saw a lot less condensation on the rear end and wheel. Too bad it's raining in Jersey. Will have to wait till tomorrow for a road test.
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In the general area as shown on the right side. But on the left ( the muffler is shaped a bit differently than the right side) I drilled a bit back further.
It has a nice tone at idle. When you goose the throttle it really sounds wild.
I laid the bike down on a 6 X 6 ( on the engine guard ) in order to be able to drill into the muffler canister at the proper angle. If you have a curb to park next to you may be able to avoid having to do that. I had to right it myself afterwards :roll:
Go for it :!: :pepper1: I will take it for a ride later on Sunday.
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hole in muffler

I did the old cut-the-piggies on my old Valk (pictured) and then drilled through the second set of baffels like the guy in PR advised on the Valk owners web site and never had to re-jet. :lol:

It was a great & cheep fix to a too- quiet bike.

It would be good to have an increase in power at the same time w/ this hole thing ... wonder if there's another fix like the "cut the piggies" trick that wouldn't blow up dirt when you are riding on a dirt road? :?

Wish it were warmer here :(

NH Bill
8)

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill,
I have a 98 Valk that I performed the "Ragner" cut to the mufflers. That is the removal of the end baffles( baffelectomy )
I took my rune for a ride to look at the Wing for sale. The rune has a nice growl to it with the inch and a half hole cut into the chambers.
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, one hole in each muffler canister. Just like in the area where that yellow circle was that was drawn on the right side muffler.
On the left side the measurement is 2-3/4" from the center of the hole to the allen head bolt that holds the chrome muffler cover on. On the right side from allen head bolt to hole center it measures 3". Tim, can't say your ignorant, you bought a Rune didn't you :wink:
I think I ( we ) will get a lot less exhaust soot on the wheels and the other parts that were soiled before.
If you don't like it, weld or pop rivot a piece of steel over the hole. Put epoxy or J.B weld on the steel patch for a tight seal.
" DISCLAIMER :!: " I will not be held responsible for bone head mistakes on your part :)
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
486 Posts
Like I told you guys Friday I had a real busy weekend and didn't get to the sound recording, I'll do it this evening and post tomorrow a.m.

·
Registered
151 Posts
runed mufflers

just got off the phone with HONDA
the stock mufflers cost 1735.00 a set and if you need the chrome that will be 818.10 extra. 2553. for the stock exaust.....

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1) Haven't had time to ride much with the mod to test gas milage. But it sure sounded better :!:
2) Felt 'bout the same. Only took a 25 mile ride. It sure did sound better :!:
3)No change. No rough idle. But it sure sounded a hell of a lot better :!:
4) No backfireing or popping. But it sounded like the Rune looks :!: better :!:
5)Didn't ride,and try not to ride in the rain. But I'm sure it will still be slippery. But it will sound a whole lot better
6)Had a nice sound at hy-way speeds,not too loud but audible. Lower sounding than on acceleration
7)Haven't rode it long enough, but I'm willing to bet there will be less exhaust soot on the chrome and paint :clap2:
Rich K ( Rune Ski)

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, in case I didn't mention this. The GROWL is a lot more FEROCIOUS than wimpy stock. :wink:
Sorry I left that part out :oops:. And it can be patched if you decide to go back.
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
There is NO backfiring, but the decelleration from 35 MPH and down, the sound REALLY does sound like my Rune is gargling cannonballs.

And, the hole on the left side.... well, I put it right where it now puts a black splotch on my kickstand. I guess I need to spend the $3,000 and get a new system. No wait, it is covered under warranty!!!!

'nother thang: I ordered replacement keys, $25bucks each. Two different kinds. Dont know which one is compatible. We will find out.

Back to the exhaust: I had a blast in my today's commute to/from work (100 miles round trip) It was like riding a new bike. Bigger. More authoriative. the sound "envelope" created while waiting at a stoplight now extends about 8 feet all around my Rune, rather than being quiet.

Ken (24,060miles)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Better sound

Are the holes driled at the same place as the vent under each side of the canister? Thes vents are to get condensation out of the canister.YES ? 8)

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The holes on both sides measure: from the bottom of the mufflers ( where the condensation weep holes are located ) (2) two inches up from the bottom of the muffler to the"center of the hole that you are drilling ".
Happy drilling, Rich K ( Rune Ski )
I touched the drilled section up with barbacue type flat black paint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Replacement Keys

Hey Ken,

I am assuming u ordered the replacement keys through Honda? $25 sounds like a good deal. I was told they will have to be programmed before the bike will start, part of the security system. Is that $25 programmed also?

Back to the exhaust, On my Valk, I had the 6 into 6 straight pipes. If anyone is familiar with that sound, does the Rune (after the 1" to 1.5" hole mods.) sound similar to the Valk?

RuneRunner

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has a sound all it's own. Similiar to my valk that had the ragner cut, but a bit louder.I heard the glass pack of the valk and this deeper and louder. Larger engine on the Rune. If you don't want REAL LOUD drill a smaller hole like Ken did, or smaller yet, like 3/4".
Good luck
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well you guys, I'm glad to see I'm not the only with enough balls to drill into a $3000 exhaust system. :twisted:
Tim, I would say the closest thing to this sound would be the Ragnar cut.
Like Ken said it has a sound of it's own, more of modern engine sound if that make any sense to you. I love the sound at idle.
I would have told you guys about this before but I wanted to make sure the bike wasn't gonna have some type of reaction to my surgery.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Has anyone got a sound bite??

My drill is ready to go :twisted: but would like to hear it before I start drilling.... :roll:

Please
:shock:
Dave

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got done closing off half the hole on each side. Now it sounds like a Valk with worn out glass packs.
With the holes at 1.5" I was scareing the sh$^ out of too many Harley dudes as I flew past them at warp speed. :eek:4:
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

1 - 20 of 114 Posts