Rune Rider Forums banner

Do your valve stems have chrome covers?

• i have chrome wheels, but the valve stems are just rubber (with no chrome cover)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i have chrome wheels, and my stems have chrome covers

• i have spec 47 wheels, and my stems are just rubber (no chrome covers)

• i have spec 47 wheels, and my stems are chrome

• i've had my tires changed....now they do have chrome covers...but who knows what they were when stoc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a policy of replacing my valve stems EVERY time i change a tire. It's just good, cheap, insurance as far as i'm concerned.

When i ordered a bunch of valve stems for my Rune(s)...so i would have some in stock for when i take the bike in to have the dealer do a tire change (they don't normally stock the unique valve stems on the Rune)....the parts person asked me which model Rune i had. I said for ordering valve stems...like so many other parts on the Rune...it SHOULD NOT matter. I explained that the only difference in the model numbers was forward or rear bars....and spec 47 and chrome wheels.

That said, they ordered the valve stem parts from the model of a Rune with CHROME wheels. Both my bikes have Spec 47.

now for the interesting observation. BOTH my bikes valve stems....from the factory....were just rubber valve stems with a chrome cap. but the replacement parts.....have IN ADDITION....a chrome cover that covers the rubber valve stem. It looks nice.

So here's what i'm wondering....do ALL Runes come stock with just the rubber valve stem...and NO chrome cover? If so...why does the replacement part INCLUDE the chrome cover for the stem? Or....could it be....that the replacement part for the chrome wheel bikes come with this chrome cover (while the part for a spec 47 wheel bike does not?).

So tell me....go look at your rims.... Spec 47 guys, are the valve stems just rubber...with NO chrome cover? Or does anyone with Spec 47 have chrome covers on their stems. If you do....have you had a tire change at a bike shop where they may have put the chrome covers on? Chrome guys......are your valve stems just rubber....or do they have the chrome covers?

i'm curious. I'm thinking the chrome valve stem covers were a subtle detail meant for bikes with chrome wheels. but....they look good on my spec 47 wheels!

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Mine (#25) came with: chrome rims, black rubber tires, black rubber valve stems, chrome valve stem caps. The chrome caps have been replaced by chromed, SS, blood producing, pointies, a la Tom.

Like Ken I will be changing the tires myself (good post on the torque sequence). Unlike Ken I'm still on my original set of tires (front tire will be changed very soon)

I'll be looking forward to having the chrome cover that covers the rubber valve stem

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Tire?? What tire? I don't have no stinkin' valve stem in this picture!!
I guess I rode the tires plum off! Ken (29,000 miles today!!!)

Oh, you can see where the 210 tire rubbs in the FRAME up in the fender. See the rub marks, with a light coating of melted rubber? this is the absolutely best way to see if your tire fits -- take your fender off and look.
In these pictures you cant see that my front tire was off too. A big engine on a lift. That is what she looks like with no rubber![/b]

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
results seem to be running about 50/50. 50% came with chrome covers....50% without. Interesting. ALL of the four valve stem replacement parts i orderd came WITH the chrome covers.

Again, we are NOT talking about the chrome caps. EVERYONE has those. We're talking about the cover that goes over the actual rubber valve stem itself. i'll have to take a picture of this probably.......and post here.......

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Tim
Where did you order your valve stems?
I just ordered a front tire from Honda Direct Line and they told me I had to order the valve stems from some dealer in Miami.
If you have a place where you order them from please let me know

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i ordered them thru my local Honda dealer, Montgomery Honda of Montgomery, Alabama. They were about 7.95 or so. the valve stem comes with the valve stem, the chrome cap, the chrome cover for the valve stem i talked about...and a rubber o-ring that holds the chrome cover in place. all for about 7.95.

it's good insurance when you change your tire....and the new chrome covers looked better than stock...for me!

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Thanks Tim
I ordered them through the Honda Direct Dealer $5.99 + $5.00 S/H
He said I should have been able to order them with the tires, so he is going to drop the S/H.
Funny thing though, the front and rear are different? Or so I was told
I'll let you know if they come with the chrome cover

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
John,
What is the part number?
I got my front disk rotors today!
Wow, the bolts that hold the rotors onto the wheel are $3.50 each, and you need 24 of them to attach the rotors! So, about $420 to put rotors on my 2nd front wheel. (sorry JohnDK, I am not going to get my wheels chromed. I am just going to have a 2nd set of wheels in the shop, with tires already mounted and ready to go)

Ken (31,000 miles today!)

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ken.....my dealer gets me Honda part number 42753-MEC-014

I am looking at the bag...i still have two of them on hand for my next tire changes. i keep enough ordered to always have two on hand. i have already used this same part number on two front tires and one rear tire. Same part number for all of em'.

Again, this part number/bag comes with the valve stem, a chrome cap, a chrome cover for the valve stem, and a little rubber o-ring to hold the chrome cover on over the valve stem...in the event you should take the chrome cap off while the wheel is positioned with the valve stem on the top part of the tire (er..uh...i know you need that o-ring from experience :oops: ).

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Oh great- they gave me a part # HO-7585805
I wonder what I'll end up with :banghead:

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
let us know what that part winds up being. maybe it is the same??? But i wonder............maybe it is JUST the valve stem???

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Tim
The valve stem showed up today (too late to use during the tire change, ordered the tire and valve stem on 5-27)

The part # on the bag is 42753-MEC-014

NO chrome cover, just the chrome cap, O-ring and rubber stem

I guess your "special" getting the chrome cover when ordering the same part #

1 - 13 of 13 Posts